• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion will nintendo announce switch 2 in it is next investors meeting in may 7

will nintendo announce switch 2 in it is next investors meeting in may 7

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In case of an imho unexpected Switch 2 announcement, as an investor, my concern would be if this significantly undermines current/holiday Switch 1 hardware/software sales. I'd be a bit puzzled if this was a good decision in my financial benefit and all this just to please some impatient hardcore fans that will buy this stuff anyways.

(Note I dont own Nintendo shares)

Maybe just a "The next generation of Nintendo will arrive in March 2025" message that's all. Unlike Wii U or 3DS, Switch for some reason is still selling well so they might not wanna hurt that.

Last edited:
They'll announce that a prototype of an unspecified new console just appeared out of nowhere on a desk in their R&D department that very morning, that they are very confused and have nothing more to add at the moment.

With the April direct not panning out I think it safe to assume they might keep this close to their chest until late summer/early fall on announcing the console. It safe to assume the typical Summer direct will just focus second half NSW1 titles such as MP4, FE Remake and possible smaller titles.

They have to announced their projections for the next FY, including hardware sales. So while they don't have to specifically say that there is new hardware planned between now and March 2025, if there is a sharp change in the projections from the past year's FY results, investors are going to expect a little more context.
they don’t have to. They tend to, but they don’t have to.

they can muddy the waters around a projection and what it means all they want. if they set an expectation, they’re more likely to be in trouble if they don’t meet it.

they can even set a projection and not specify anything about it.

but they don’t have to set projections. they can technically just report on earnings and be on their way.

they don’t have to. They tend to, but they don’t have to.

they can muddy the waters around a projection and what it means all they want. if they set an expectation, they’re more likely to be in trouble if they don’t meet it.

they can even set a projection and not specify anything about it.

but they don’t have to set projections. they can technically just report on earnings and be on their way.

Also can't they revise projections upwards later in the year?

Its an interesting time. Nintendo will forecast the projections for this year, but that does not have to account for unannounced products. Since so little is officially announced Nintendo could go in different directions. My hunch is that they will keep things vague and will have a conservative hardware forecast that only takes Switch sales and software into account. Investors could be a little annoyed but that has not stopped Nintendo in the past.

The little ray of hope is that there is history with Nintendo having a press release just before this meeting announcing that new hardware is on the way like they did with 3ds and Switch. If the Switch 2 is indeed coming out before March 2025 than it makes senses that this would be an ideal time to start the reveal process.

Last edited:
I believe so, for the same reason as everyone else: it would be bizarre if they plan to release the system this fiscal year but refuse to even acknowledge its existence at the investor's meeting where they lay out their plans for FY24-25.

But ultimately, we're already in unprecedented territory in terms of how long Nintendo has held off on talking about the system. Even the 3DS, which currently has the shortest announcement-to-release turnaround of a new Nintendo platform, was announced before the end of the prior fiscal year. Nintendo can ultimately do what they want, and while the idea that they would hold back for much longer veers on "because Nintendo" logic to me... there's nothing to really determine it one way or the other.

Last edited:
Well I don't think them projecting 10m units of hardware for the next fiscal year or something makes them obligated to say it includes new hardware. Even a very drastic drop will make that figure believable, and Switch 2 will release at the tail end of the FY, so it won't have an effect of making the hardware sales 10m higher or something.

Or, they can just say they expect specifically Nintendo Switch to sell X amount of units the next FY. Did they make the projections for hardware on the Wii U/3DS days together? Did they include Switch on what they expected to sell on FY '17?

I feel like they don't want to kneecap the rest of the life the Switch still got, and they don't want to lose money on the holiday season. Switch 2 and a couple of games were delayed, but they still gotta sell software.

I say they just randomly announce that the next gen console is coming in March 2025 on a Twitter/PR drop before the August investors meeting happens, then we get a trailer in late October after whatever game they wanna sell comes out.

It didn't hurt Pokémon Sun/Moon in the slightest tho so they might feel like revealing it as soon as June or July.

I listened to Nate's podcast and I agree basically entirely with their view and opinions on Nintendo's upcoming forecast and lack of a Switch 2 hint or Direct in May. Honestly I think 2024 is basically looking a lot like 2020 content wise. Still hoping for a June Direct with some meaty Switch games at the very least. Won't be surprised if we go into the late summer and even Fall and are no wiser in regards to what is going on with the Switch successor. This thing just doesn't want to materialize at all. A very late bloomer lol.

They may revise their goals or mention that it exists, but i dont expect to see any sort of official reveal for this thing until October.

Factory leaks are the only reliable info for anything about the system prior to that imo; better than the tabloids. Just enjoy the backlog and be surprised when it is either a real thing or ends up being nothing special at all

Or, they can just say they expect specifically Nintendo Switch to sell X amount of units the next FY. Did they make the projections for hardware on the Wii U/3DS days together? Did they include Switch on what they expected to sell on FY '17?
They gave forecasts for the Wii U and 3DS when they got close to launch, but for the Switch, they just combined it with their projected Wii U sales.

I expect an acknowledgement of new hardware arriving this fiscal year, but nothing beyond that. No name, no specifics...

"We will be launching a new platform this fiscal year. We have no additional information at this time. We will reveal details at a later date this year."
Pretty much. If it's actually releasing in the FY, I'd expect something like this in the next ~7 days. It's part of their revenue stream for the FY, and will probably account for like half the hardware they ship within the FY, they'll want to include some notice in their earnings.

I believe will get the acknowledgement of "new hardware" andI hope that's enough for publishers to start saying their games will come for the next system. That's all I need.

I don't see why they wouldn't, If we aren't getting a simple social media post regarding the successor to the Switch on May 7th, then the next console isn't coming out until after March 2025, and that would be dire, especially considering the current lineup for the Switch this year is very light so far.

Like, what other time would they announce it? in June? October? January of next year? Point is, I genuinely don't see any other opprotunity to make such an announcement and I find it hard to imagine what other times they could do so.

If it's coming this fiscal year they kinda have to announce their intentions to launch new hardware at least. Also it would allow devs and third parties to announce they are working on projects for it at least. As for when it finally gets revealed who knows, but Nintendo seem keen to rinse out every single sale they can from the OG Switch

They don't have a business need to do so. Third parties who manufacturer accessories as well as third party developers likely already have internally been told when they should expect the system to launch and when to have products ready by. Adding the products officially to their list of items sold won't increase revenue much more if at all than just waiting. It's really only the general public that is in the dark besides rumors.

No reason to announce something now if the product is to be released in early 2025. Feels with that timeline its more a later summer-early fall official announcement if the release date is what is a normal Q1 2025 (Jan-March). Once the product is "official" the current unit numbers sold will start to decline even more than it remains currently unofficial so might as well squeeze everything that can be done beforehand.

At minimum though, you'll probably have word of something along the lines of "We are always looking at developing future hardware" when the question during the call is likely getting asked. As well as probably see some hints of a new product being ready to launch with their revenue guidance and hardware unit guidance for the next FY. Especially with Nintendo's FY being from 4/1/xx through 3/31/xx of the following year. Which unless Nintendo expects the system to be released in April/May or later in 2025, the numbers will show up in the guidance numbers (as there will be an increase comparatively YoY) and pretty much cement when to expect to see the successor launch.

Last edited:
What we want: Nintendo to finally acknowledge the existence of a Switch successor and give us a release window.

What we get: A slew of new DMCA take down notices and threats of legal action towards fans for committing the ultimate crime of liking Nintendo properties and making fan projects. Basically the only communication we get from Nintendo these days lol.

I could be wrong, but I think they say something. Not only for hardware sale projections, but the longer they wait the more leaks will come. I don't know what the consensus is on when mass production will begin, but if accessory manufacturers are already designing stuff seems like it begins soon if not already. Imagine if pictures released before an announcement. It happened with the Switch Lite.

If they plan to release Switch 2 in march 2025 they should brief their investors on that fact. But if they have no plans to release Switch 2 in march 2025 they can easily wait much longer to announce it.

I just can't see the reason why they would deny investors vital information on a coming launch of hardware, no major company does that. If they are afraid of it leading to declining Switch sales, the lack of major software releases for Switch will ensure major decline of Switch hardware and software sales anyway during the next fiscal year.

Its a far better strategy to announce the Switch 2, let video game publishers market their game is coming to Switch 2 to start building some anticipation, rather than just being totally sidelined next fiscal year to Sony and Microsoft who will have major game announcements all the time while Nintendo will have nothing positive happening.

i higly doubt Nintendo will mention it next console at all, Nintendo will make us wait until january of next year and finally reveal the console for a march/april launch, more then that is setting ourself for disappointment

There is a possibility that they will reveal when it is going to be revealed, and the launch month. But of course no info about the platform itself.

This discussion should be part of the Switch 2 speculation thread - BassForever, Zellia, BLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom