• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

My problem is the main point of the Switch as the consolidation of Nintendo's handheld and console lines was specifically to prevent software droughts. It's a big failure in that regard, with years like 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2024 having notable droughts, even near year-long droughts (2020 after ACNH, 2024 largely).

There's always an ebb-and-flow with release cycles. But the number of first party games released on the Switch is on-par with previous home consoles such as the Wii. Not a doubley-buffed lineup like the number of Wii and DS games released during that generation's timespan.
What were the droughts in 2018, 2022 and 2024 exactly? Sure, 2020 had one because of COVID delaying the holiday games meant for it(3D World, Metroid Dread), a game aiming for that year possibly being rebooted(Metroid Prime 4) and more. And Nintendo still did notably better in 2020-21 than MS and Sony that had new hardware releasing then.

2018 had a lot of Wii U ports that aimed for a varied audience released throughout the year, and its last 3 months were packed AF with Mario Party, the first mainline Pokemon on a home console ever and Smash.

2022 then... Had a banger in January already with a new experimental Pokémon game, then the very first 3D Kirby game ever, then Switch Sports that sold 10m, then Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, then a super stacked H2 with Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3 and Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.

You could make a point for 2021 and 2019 that actually had less games releasing on H1 and that skipped months, but I highly see anyone considering those year "droughts" since each had one game that made everyone "forgive" the dry quarters.

But H1 2021 leaned almost only on Super Mario 3D World+ Bowser's Fury and Monster Hunter Rise (3rd party) and sure 3 games in half 1 2019 felt like "a drought", seeing the wait between NSMBU DX(a Wii U port) and Yoshi's Crafted World(I'd argue Peach Showtime is a bigger release) and between that in March and Maker 2 in the very last day of June.

This year only had April without a game. May has two games.
Jeez comparing 2018 now to this year.
Yeah imagine comparing the vanilla Wii U ports + Mario Tennis of H1 2018 to the much more ambitious remakes + Peach of 2024.

:p

Respectfully, I think it's really stretching things to call 2024 (or tbh, even 2020 really) a year-long drought, unless drought just means anything that isn't a new 3D Zelda or Mario

I also sorta feel like maybe there's some rose-tinted glasses going on with what the Wii/DS or WiiU/3DS 1st party outputs were like compared to the Switch
You're right there have never been any true year long droughts. March 2020 to 2021 was a terrible drought with just Origami King and Hyrule Warriors 2, that's as bad as it's gotten understandably with COVID.

If you look at the total number of first party releases the combined totals from previous generations is consistently higher than the Switch era. Smaller development times for handheld hardware play a part of that, but there's nothing stopping Nintendo from making smaller scale games consistently like that again. Like where is the new 2D Zelda this generation? Or other smaller handheld franchises like Rhythm Heaven? They have made some this era, like the Fanicom Detective Club Remakes, but you get my point they haven't been enough of a focus.

The Switch never has droughts for me, personally. I feel like there's always something interesting releasing on the eshop every month, large or small. That's kind of unfortunate as my backlog is monstrous.

Putting 2017 so low, makes me feel unsettled, despite the bagged line up of games...

For me it's 2023-2017-2020-2022--2019-2021-2018-2024
Fine, you've forced me to elaborate.

I thought the Switch in 2017 was just ok. Kinda disappointing. Arms was good but it was something I played for like 2 hours and didn't feel worth it in retrospect, I wasn't into Splatoon at the time and had more mixed feelings on 2 than 1, Odyssey was great but a little too easy/repetitive and even though I loved what I played of BOTW I never even finished it as I got stuck thinking I was missing something when heading to the fire temple and not knowing where to get clothes that null heat.

I was also a Wii U owner so i refused to get MK8D until someone gifted it to me the next year. But honestly this was after years of being down on the direction of the video games industry, so it could have just been how I was feeling at the time. I honestly did not fall in love with the Switch till 2019, now it's one of my favorite consoles.

2017 > 2023 > 2021 > 2019 > 2018 > 2020

Or: the year that saw Odyssey released is the best, the two years with Metroid releases are close seconds, then the year of Three Houses and Astral Chain, then Smash, then Animal Crossing and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
2023: the year with Prime Remastered, Tears of the Kingdom, and Wonder
2019: the year with Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening
2021: the year with Monster Hunter Rise and Metroid Dread and TGAAC
2020: the year with Pikmin 3 Deluxe Xenoblade HD and Origami King
2017: the year with Odyssey and Breath of the Wild
2018: .....the year with Smash?

My problem is the main point of the Switch as the consolidation of Nintendo's handheld and console lines was specifically to prevent software droughts. It's a big failure in that regard, with years like 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2024 having notable droughts, even near year-long droughts (2020 after ACNH, 2024 largely).

There's always an ebb-and-flow with release cycles. But the number of first party games released on the Switch is on-par with previous home consoles such as the Wii. Not a doubley-buffed lineup like the number of Wii and DS games released during that generation's timespan.
No disrespect but you've rather missed my point.

Internal development being restructured was never going to deliver and never promised to deliver new software all the time. It was about creating consistent enough conditions for a Nintendo platform to succeed, build an installbase and generate enough third party support to end software shortages. Nintendo never aimed to end software shortages singlehandedly because that is simply unrealistic; they knew they had to build an environment where more third parties would come on board, hence the commitment to both a wide array of genres and a much better software development environment for a much wider array of games, thus relieving Nintendo of the pressure to be the sole carrier of their platform.

I think for me it's 2017 > 2023 > 2022 > 2020 > 2018 > 2019 > 2021. Didn't realize how little I cared about any games from 2021. And wow 2022/23 had some great games.

I'm quite surprised that people keep 2017 in such high regard. The year was a barren wasteland. Is it because it had Zelda Mario and Xenoblade 2? That's just 3 games, means just 3 games put the year on top of the list for you. I'm not like that. Why take just quality when you can have both quality AND quantity? Plus, not a huge fan of Mario and 3D Zelda (Xeno 2 was amazing though) so they not count for points for me.

Cumulatively that's EPD 3, 4, 5, and 10, NdCube, NST, Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, Game Freak, Creatures, Intelligent Systems, HAL, MercurySteam, Platinum, Ubisoft, Koei-Tecmo and more having shipped at least one first party game in that spell. Realistically I don't think things are going to get much better and I think at least some element of ebb and flow is going to remain over the console lifecycle. If that's not good enough I don't have any argument to make back to you; personal tastes are a huge factor and I also think there has to be a degree of pragmatism about what's possible in current games industry from a pure logistics perspective.
The big question is EPD 8

They’re one of the the two most popular Nintendo studios and they haven’t had a game since the first year of the Switch (allegedly they worked on Bowser’s Fury but most of the names credited were non Japanese)

I'm quite surprised that people keep 2017 in such high regard. The year was a barren wasteland. Is it because it had Zelda Mario and Xenoblade 2? That's just 3 games, means just 3 games put the year on top of the list for you. I'm not like that. Why take just quality when you can have both quality AND quantity? Plus, not a huge fan of Mario and 3D Zelda (Xeno 2 was amazing though) so they not count for points for me.
It also had Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2. Plus things like Arms, Snipperclips, and that general "new system smell"

I play a lot on other platforms and don't play a ton of different games a year, so to me I'm judging a Nintendo year mostly by 3-6 games, so yeah that's it. Zelda, Mario, and Xenoblade 2 were all so good that that alone is my top year, yes. I also probably have some of my feelings of 2017 being my favorite year for gaming period bleeding over, even if that's unfair :p

No disrespect but you've rather missed my point.

Internal development being restructured was never going to deliver and never promised to deliver new software all the time. It was about creating consistent enough conditions for a Nintendo platform to succeed, build an installbase and generate enough third party support to end software shortages. Nintendo never aimed to end software shortages singlehandedly because that is simply unrealistic; they knew they had to build an environment where more third parties would come on board, hence the commitment to both a wide array of genres and a much better software development environment for a much wider array of games, thus relieving Nintendo of the pressure to be the sole carrier of their platform.
Well no, when the Switch was announced they outright said the reasoning behind the handheld/console consolidation was to prevent droughts and ensure platform success. Failure on point 1, success for point 2.

People haven't forgotten years like 2012, 2016, and 2020 for having massive software droughts and poor marketing schedules.
Serious answer; if people hold grudges and want to keep these arguments, they should look for games they want to play.

Can’t I be critica- yes you can. However these arguments are easily resolved by the fact to look for other games. It doesn’t mean that a healthy discussion isn’t possible in regards to line-ups and strategies, however “software droughts” is such a throwaway and meaningless discussion point because it centers on an individuals software preference.

If you only play certain types of games that’s your choice. However it doesn’t mean that Nintendo closed the flow of releases. It only means that certain games you like aren’t releasing. That’s fine, there is always someone else who can help you out. From other developers, to other platforms.

And unless you are blessed with infinite time and money, there is a lot to choose from, even in slower years.

• Splatoon 3 : Side Order
  • Endless Ocean Luminous
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD

I’m very happy with first semester ! :) I’m the only one ? :(

Serious answer; if people hold grudges and want to keep these arguments, they should look for games they want to play.

Can’t I be critica- yes you can. However these arguments are easily resolved by the fact to look for other games. It doesn’t mean that a healthy discussion isn’t possible in regards to line-ups and strategies, however “software droughts” is such a throwaway and meaningless discussion point because it centers on an individuals software preference.

If you only play certain types of games that’s your choice. However it doesn’t mean that Nintendo closed the flow of releases. It only means that certain games you like aren’t releasing. That’s fine, there is always someone else who can help you out. From other developers, to other platforms.

And unless you are blessed with infinite time and money, there is a lot to choose from, even in slower years.
Referring to first party games.

The Switch has been in a drought for since Pikmin 4 (ever since it was pretty much just Wonder and that was it for me), so I moved on to another console. I can't wait on Nintendo to release games for my interests. Now I have plenty to play.

Last edited:
Referring to first party games.
That’s great. Point still stands.

I’m perfectly aware that this is a transitional period and these moments in time always arrive right before Nintendo moves on to a new platform.

And I’m perfectly fine with that. Now if they didn’t release anything at all, then I would be miffed. But seeing that’s not the case, I’m patient. In the next two months we’ll hear more.

• Splatoon 3 : Side Order
  • Endless Ocean Luminous
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD

I’m very happy with first semester ! :) I’m the only one ? :(
Swap out Endless Ocean and Luigi's Mansion for Another Code, Princess Peach, and Mario vs. DK and it's a pretty great first half for me. It helps that TTYD, Another Code R, and Mario vs. DK are all new to me. Had Endless Ocean turned out to be something more my style, it'd be an even stronger streak of personal hits.

Last edited:

....I swear if I hear one more "consolidation to avoid droughts" I'm going to explode. That's not how development works

The sequel to Tokyo Mirage Sessions we never knew we needed
I have a weird idea for a reveal trailer.
It starts with a fake Smash reveal trailer, and then is revealed that is someone (possibly the protagonist) playing on their Switch.

Well no, when the Switch was announced they outright said the reasoning behind the handheld/console consolidation was to prevent droughts and ensure platform success. Failure on point 1, success for point 2.

Just gonna save some time here. When Nintendo finally opens up the new EPD building, the goal of it won't be to prevent software droughts. It'll be to manage a steady release cadence as hardware technology advances and budgets increase

Barren wasteland? Don’t do this.

I want to see whatever Xenoblade and Monolith Soft has going on.
I suspect we won't hear about their next big project until some kind of Switch 2 showcase

My guess is they'll have a new IP year 1, then Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition a year or two after that

It had quality and quantity.

Mario Odyssey
BOTW
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
ARMS
Golf Story
SteamWorld Dig 2
SteamWorld Heist
Stardew Valley
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
Sonic Mania
Rocket League
Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle
Axiom Verge
Fast RMX
Disgaea 5
World of Goo
Rayman Legends
Skyrim
Pokken Tournament
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Not sure how it was a barren wasteland.

They released a Xeno game in 2022 and 2023 😭
Somehow their one of the fastest developers when it comes to making games,

Like they supported with Botw, Totk, Animal crossing and splatoon for a faster development time, all while they worked on Xenoblade 3 and it's DLC.

Like, their probably one of the best acquisition Nintendo or even a gaming company has made, with the insane output and support they gave Nintendo.
I'm extremely hopeful they'll help Nintendo with NG titles and make them somehow look similar to current gen title.
Fv673rFWIAEGweF

Somehow their one of the fastest developers when it comes to making games,

Like they supported with Botw, Totk, Animal crossing and splatoon for a faster development time, all while they worked on Xenoblade 3 and it's DLC.

Like, their probably one of the best acquisition Nintendo or even a gaming company has made, with the insane output and support they gave Nintendo.
I'm extremely hopeful they'll help Nintendo with NG titles and make them somehow look similar to current gen title.
Fv673rFWIAEGweF

Although I believe they have a studio dedicated solely to EPD support, and the other one is for Xeno games, their output is still impressive, rivaled only by Game Freak and Intelligent Systems in terms of the sheer amount of quantity.

However, in terms of the best acquisition a gaming company has made, I still think Insomniac is the best. That studio is in the current generation of hardware and they still produce insane production values with an extremely efficient output in terms of quality and quantity (something I can't say for Game Freak or IS)

Barren wasteland? Don’t do this.
Third part wise it was. Only memorable big releases from publishers were Disgaea 5, Bomberman, Shining Resonance, DB Xenoverse 2, Valkyrie Profile 4, Mario + Rabbids, Skyrim and Doom. Publishers were kinda "late to the party" with Switch.
Not sure how it was a barren wasteland.
Eh, this would start a list war so let's just fast forward this: Any Switch year other than 2017 can easily 5-fold the third party/indie games of this list easily. Some years maybe even more than 5.

Although I believe they have a studio dedicated solely to EPD support, and the other one is for Xeno games, their output is still impressive, rivaled only by Game Freak and Intelligent Systems in terms of the sheer amount of quantity.

However, in terms of the best acquisition a gaming company has made, I still think Insomniac is the best. That studio is in the current generation of hardware and they still produce insane production values with an extremely efficient output in terms of quality and quantity (something I can't say for Game Freak or IS)
Isomniac is a good one since they've made 3 PS5 games in a span of 3-4 years, which is extremely impressive, with how longer game development has been.

If you don’t like Zelda or Mario, aka the two biggest franchises, then yes it was a barren wasteland

Maybe that’s not your thing which is okay but for the rest of us it was as big a year as you can get

For me, 2019>2023>2021>2022>2018>2020>2017>2024. Jury's still out on 2024 but at this rate it's going to be last for my tastes.

I’m definitely sympathetic to anyone who thinks 2017 wasn’t too hot. Nintendo had some awesome games sure, two of Switch’s all time best even with Zelda and Mario, but third party and indie games were not the never ending deluge of awesomeness Switch would become.

I’m definitely sympathetic to anyone who thinks 2017 wasn’t too hot. Nintendo had some awesome games sure, two of Switch’s all time best even with Zelda and Mario, but third party and indie games were not the never ending deluge of awesomeness Switch would become.
2017 was fine for me because besides BotW I also got to catch up on my WiiU backlog.

That's right I said "WiiU" and "backlog" in the same sentence.

2017 was fine for me because besides BotW I also got to catch up on my WiiU backlog.

That's right I said "WiiU" and "backlog" in the same sentence.
If we include Virtual Console games, I had a backlog for Wii U up to last year haha. Otherwise that's one of the few consoles I didn't walk away from with much of a backlog because I just really enjoyed playing games on it. (Xbox 360 was another, excluding digital games)

Which is definitely fair - my ranking was more based on Nintendo First Party alone, or with big system exclusives as well which is a fairly small list per year. If you include literally every game that released that year on the Switch... I would have a really hard time grading that :p

2023>2021>2017=2022>2020>2019>2018

I think it says something about how good the Switch era has been for me when the Smash Ultimate year is my least favorite. As it stands, while I don't think 2024 has been particularly bad, it is currently on a trajectory to be the new "worst"; not surprised, was expecting this to be a quieter year after the full-salvo that was 2023, and there's still been a decent number of games that have caught my eye

Back
Top Bottom