• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Since as far as I know Pyoro hasn't tweeted since, the likelihood of a Direct early next week has dropped a ton. It's possible still it could fit somewhere next week or the one after, but I'll be shifting my guess to the last week of May before we know where NWC fits exactly. There's a good chance I feel NWC is shadowdropped next week given the ESRB leak, but somewhere between Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 makes the most sense to me as a bonus game of sorts. Even if it does wind up in July, I just don't see it holding the month down alone as a budget title which coupled with the release calendar drying up makes me think in general a Direct still has to be sooner than later.

End of May for a Direct makes a good deal of sense still even with NWC being a decisive factor for ultimate timing. I did however like @MisterSpo 's idea of a simple Luigi's Mansion 1 port fitting in the early June zone ahead (which I feel is the absolute latest a Direct of some kind can land still) though I wonder how that'll affect Luigi's Mansion 2 since the original game is I believe more highly regarded (is for me at least).

Nintendo might save the Switch 2 reveal trailer until the September Direct, but I think there's a good possibility that they close out the June Direct with it, then go into radio silence on the matter until January. That way the news is out there, but since it isn't being delivered so close to the holidays, they (theoretically) won't have to worry too much about social media being dominated by Switch 2 talk and seriously distracting from their new software releases just before the holiday shopping season.
Wouldn't revealing the Switch 2 in the same Direct that announces these games be a distraction all on its own?

The NWC was likely planned from the beginning as a finale to the 40th anniversary of the NES, not related to the Switch 2, and would fill the July slot.
The last installment of the monthly NES Web program in Japan will air on May 9, so perhaps it could be announced then.

Last edited:
It's possible for newt week but I think it will be for june as usual :)
Yeah, I don't think it happens next week. Just a bit of out loud speculation I had in my mind. Mainly due to the it happening in the past. Technically, they don't need to do anything as they still can have something during June after LM2 comes out :).

I think everyone's missing the triple-meaning in Pyoro's post!!! :V

The Nintendo World Championship hint is obvious. We were still totally on the right track with the timing switches hinting at the Switch 2. But not only that, but you need to Prime those 4 switches for the correct times before playing. It's totally obvious!!!1! :V

Last edited:
Why hasn't that Twitter lad with the Detective Pikachu face posted something recently. This feels like prime territory for him to make up a rumour about a Direct airing tomorrow where Nintendo will announce the Switch 4 and a Fire Emblem game where your army are all pop icons like Bowie & Prince.

I know I'm being hyperbolically extreme, but ever since Switch launched it seemed like Nintendo was done with this whole "let's just do barely nothing" strategy. We had it too good the past seven years because now it seems like 2016 all over again.

I know I'm being hyperbolically extreme, but ever since Switch launched it seemed like Nintendo was done with this whole "let's just do barely nothing" strategy. We had it too good the past seven years because now it seems like 2016 all over again.
2018 seemed pretty weak personally. Yeah I guess they had a lot of releases but they were either Wii U ports or more divisive games. 2020 I think would have been weaker with or without covid, since it seems like the only thing that might have been delayed was Mario 3D World. 2021 was also a quieter year aside from the beginning and end, though I personally thought the niche stuff was pretty cool and Monster Hunter Rise and Metroid Dread are amazing.

They've definitely had slower years, think the only one that really disappointed me so far is 2018 though funnily enough. 2020 and 2021 had a lot of nicher stuff or ports for me.

I don't see how this year is that different from 2018 in terms of first half releases.

Goes heavy on re-releases:
2018: Bayonetta 1+2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.
2024: Another Code: Recollection, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

New releases are very divisive:
2018: Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces, Nintendo Labo
2024: Princess Peach Showtime!, Endless Ocean Luminous, maybe Nintendo World Championship's: NES Edition?

Well even H1 2019 wasn't much of a banger either:
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
(Less games even!!)

Without Tears of the Kingdom delayed, H1 2023 would be Fire Emblem and the Remasters.

Anyways, I think we have to wait until the next Direct to make our judgement. I mean there was 2020 that was always supposed to be quieter(like 2018 that leaned heavy into Smash), but 3D World(and I think Metroid Dread? or Primer 4 before the delay) was supposed to come that year and COVID screwed what was already not great.

I don't see how this year is that different from 2018 in terms of first half releases.

2018: Bayonetta 1+2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.
2024: Another Code: Recollection, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

2024: Princess Peach Showtime!, Endless Ocean Luminous, maybe Nintendo World Championship's: NES Edition?

Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
(Less games even!!)

Without Tears of the Kingdom delayed, H1 2023 would be Fire Emblem and the Remasters.

Anyways, I think we have to wait until the next Direct to make our judgement. I mean there was 2020 that was always supposed to be quieter(like 2018 that leaned heavy into Smash), but 3D World(and I think Metroid Dread? or Primer 4 before the delay) was supposed to come that year and COVID screwed what was already not great.
2018 was interesting for me because I had never played any Wii U games at that point. Honestly, those were better releases for me than Kirby Star Allies and Mario Tennis, both of which I still have not played to this day. To top things off, the year ended with a bang when Smash Ultimate came out. I was in college at the time and we had a smash party on launch day, which ended up being one of my fondest gaming memories.

You also make a good point about 2019. I really liked that year, but H2 did the heavy lifting. We could see something similar this year, but probably not to the same extent. I won't be too concerned unless we get to the end of June without any news on H2 2024.

Mad at Nintendo for rereleasing old shit but also mad at Nintendo for put porting old shit to current systems. The suffering of being a Nintendo fan never ends.

I think everyone's missing the triple-meaning in Pyoro's post!!! :V

The Nintendo World Championship hint is obvious. We were still totally on the right track with the timing switches hinting at the Switch 2. But not only that, but you need to Prime those switches for the correct times before playing. It's totally obvious!!!1! :V
This reveal might be the biggest insult by an insider in the past decade. I literally screamed "F YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Prime 4 but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Prime 4 was expected, they should've deleted the tweet.

Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
(Less games even!!)

I was going to post it earlier but this year is very comparable to last year, just without the anchor title like Tears of the Kingdom was. This is why I feel like the discussions of Nintendo having a lackluster second half is happening earlier than they did last year as Tears of the Kingdom did take all the air out of the room for much of the first half of the year. At the same time though, as you mention, we have to wait until whenever the next Direct is because, as June 2023 (and even most years before that. In 2021, the only H2 titles we knew prior to the E3 Direct was Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Skyward Sword HD) proved, Nintendo is willing to sit on showing their second half slate until the last possible moment. If we are to assume the NWC game could be the July title, it would follow the exact pattern of the lineup really only being detailed up to July and then June showing almost everything Nintendo has for the rest of the year!

Do you all think they'd announce a spin-off Pokémon game in a Nintendo Direct? Prior to last year, I would've thought it was extremely unlikely but, with them re-revealing Detective Pikachu 2 (Returns) in a Direct, I kind of feel like we could see a spin-off announced within one now

Oooh, that's a good way to fill some pages on this thread.

2019>2017>2023>2021>2022>2018>2020

As you can see, I'm #TeamOddNumbers

Between the ESRB leak and the Australian Copyright leaks I have a feeling we’re getting a Direct soon(ish)

Quite imptessed that Nintendo is going for a full shareholder meeting without a single game to be released post june.

It’s almost like: fuck it, we do what we want.

-Nintendo has an investors meeting in June with only 2 upcoming games, both of which are remakes
-Trademarks for rainbow curse/pushmo
-New NES remix style game leaks
-Nintendo has a screwy schedule this year, unusual timing is very possible
I feel like the possibility of a direct next week is more then many are letting on

-Nintendo has an investors meeting in June with only 2 upcoming games, both of which are remakes
I feel like the possibility of a direct next week is more then many are letting on

Ehh, Pyoro would have leaked it if it was coming next week. They would have already uploaded stuff to the eShop to prep for the Direct.

Ehh, Pyoro would have leaked it if it was coming next week. They would have already uploaded stuff to the eShop to prep for the Direct.
I don't think we know where exactly his "access point" is, and I don't believe he had the Indie World info a week ahead of time. I have my doubts about him as a whole; not that he isn't accurate, just that he's not going to know everything, and sometimes might not know anything.

(Also to be clear I also don't expect a Direct next week.)

Last edited:
2020 had ACNH i get it’s not for everyone but that year was a peak for Nintendo and most likely it’s the biggest single year ever for Nintendo
It was great for sales and ACNH was huge, but that game was also delayed out of 2019 I think and was an early release. March 2020 to the end of the year was barren.

As several people pointed, Pyoro would tease more than just one game
I expect NWC: NES Edition to be revealed on Monday morning

probably late June tbh, unless Keighley really kisses Nintendo's ass
sgf.gif

2018 was interesting for me because I had never played any Wii U games at that point. Honestly, those were better releases for me than Kirby Star Allies and Mario Tennis, both of which I still have not played to this day. To top things off, the year ended with a bang when Smash Ultimate came out. I was in college at the time and we had a smash party on launch day, which ended up being one of my fondest gaming memories.

You also make a good point about 2019. I really liked that year, but H2 did the heavy lifting. We could see something similar this year, but probably not to the same extent. I won't be too concerned unless we get to the end of June without any news on H2 2024.
Yeah, exactly!! I mean, I believe for many people a Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door remake is bigger than anything else possible, for Nintendo, Princess Peach Showtime and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD are defined worth being the highlights of the first half of the year. A new spin off series with the major star of the Mario movie, and the game that sold 6.5m on the 3DS and had a sequel that sold 12m on the Switch.

Smash just blew everyone when it came out. I still remember the doom that was the January Mini being forgotten once we got the teaser in March, the doom with E3 being super focused on Smash, and everyone forgetting it just as soon as the hype cycle for character reveals began. And the launch of the game was a storm and so were the DLC reveals.
I was going to post it earlier but this year is very comparable to last year, just without the anchor title like Tears of the Kingdom was. This is why I feel like the discussions of Nintendo having a lackluster second half is happening earlier than they did last year as Tears of the Kingdom did take all the air out of the room for much of the first half of the year. At the same time though, as you mention, we have to wait until whenever the next Direct is because, as June 2023 (and even most years before that. In 2021, the only H2 titles we knew prior to the E3 Direct was Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Skyward Sword HD) proved, Nintendo is willing to sit on showing their second half slate until the last possible moment. If we are to assume the NWC game could be the July title, it would follow the exact pattern of the lineup really only being detailed up to July and then June showing almost everything Nintendo has for the rest of the year!
Yes, exactly!! I mean, they've gone to the Investors Meeting last year having only Pikmin 4 dated for the second half of the year, just so the June Direct revealed Super Mario Bros. Wonder and RPG.

2021 was stellar for me just because of Metroid Dread and Shin Megami Tensei V, so Metroid Prime 4 alone would make this year for me. But hey, there was a Pokémon remake selling 15m+ and a Mario Party selling 10m+ that released that holiday season.

I think we're getting Fire Emblem 4 Remake and two of: Metroid Prime 4, DK, Zelda remaster, surprise casual title that sells 10m.
Do you all think they'd announce a spin-off Pokémon game in a Nintendo Direct? Prior to last year, I would've thought it was extremely unlikely but, with them re-revealing Detective Pikachu 2 (Returns) in a Direct, I kind of feel like we could see a spin-off announced within one now
Yeah, I think Directs are very likely spots for Pokémon spin offs, more even than the Presents. Idk which tho, apparently Mystery Dungeon is off the table because the developers have been on something else?

Time would align greatly for something new by the Bandai Namco people that made Pokken and Snap to release something new 👀

But well after they revealed AND ARE HYPING a 2025 Pokémon game with no footage, I wouldn't put past them to just reveal Pokémon X and Y Remastered for November. Buy yeah that's reaching.
2020 had ACNH i get it’s not for everyone but that year was a peak for Nintendo and most likely it’s the biggest single year ever for Nintendo
Yeah, that was a phenomenon of its own and made the FY ending March '21 be the biggest selling hardware FY of the Switch.

I don't even know if anything will ever replicate what Animal Crossing New Horizons did. I mean, unless the next Animal Crossing comes later than expected and releases on a huge install base or the next Smash Bros. comes late in the gen.
2023 > 2019 > 2021 > 2020 > 2017 > 2018

refuses to elaborate
2017 > 2023 > 2021 > 2019 > 2018 > 2020

Or: the year that saw Odyssey released is the best, the two years with Metroid releases are close seconds, then the year of Three Houses and Astral Chain, then Smash, then Animal Crossing and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
This year has been so odd lately that I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo pulling a May Direct.
  • First Direct of the year was a Partner Showcase;
  • Said Partner Showcase didn't happen after a cancelled big event like the one in June 2022 and the 2020 ones;
  • Said Partner Showcase had a first-party game revealed;
  • Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD being dated on a Sunday;
  • packed H1 - whether you like them or not, they're releasing 6 games, and there's the possibility of a shadow drop/NWC to add to it;
  • game releases moving to Thursday.

I do think we've just come off a hotspell that's lasted about two years from Metroid Dread through to Super Mario Bros Wonder, and it encompassed a lot of the currently supported franchises:

• Two new Pokemon RPGs, plus expansions plus a spin-off
  • New 2D Metroid plus a substantial remaster of Metroid Prime
  • First 3D Kirby plus a spin-off plus a 2D remaster
  • New Sports title
  • New Strikers (plus a new Mario spin-off in Peach plus numerous re-releases)
  • New mainline Fire Emblem, plus new spin-off plus DLC for both
  • New Xenoblade plus expansion
  • New Splatoon plus expansion
  • New Mario + Rabbids plus DLC
  • New Bayonetta plus spin-off
  • New Zelda
  • New Pikmin plus re-releases of the first two
  • New WarioWare
  • New 2D Mario
  • returns for Advance Wars, Another Code, Endless Ocean and F ZERO after extended absences

Cumulatively that's EPD 3, 4, 5, and 10, NdCube, NST, Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, Game Freak, Creatures, Intelligent Systems, HAL, MercurySteam, Platinum, Ubisoft, Koei-Tecmo and more having shipped at least one first party game in that spell. Realistically I don't think things are going to get much better and I think at least some element of ebb and flow is going to remain over the console lifecycle. If that's not good enough I don't have any argument to make back to you; personal tastes are a huge factor and I also think there has to be a degree of pragmatism about what's possible in current games industry from a pure logistics perspective.

The strategy was always to improve first party support enough to propel a system that could command widespread third party support; it was never about Nintendo alone being the source of all notable games (even if they obviously continue to dominate the Switch software market). On that front, I think Switch has broadly succeeded even if it remains a system that has its obvious oddities given it exists in a weird confluence of spaces (low end home console, high end handheld console, some tablet/mobile crossover) and even if it hasn't successfully met some fan expectations.

I do think we've just come off a hotspell that's lasted about two years from Metroid Dread through to Super Mario Bros Wonder, and it encompassed a lot of the currently supported franchises:

• Two new Pokemon RPGs, plus expansions plus a spin-off
  • New 2D Metroid plus a substantial remaster of Metroid Prime
  • First 3D Kirby plus a spin-off plus a 2D remaster
  • New Sports title
  • New Strikers (plus a new Mario spin-off in Peach plus numerous re-releases)
  • New mainline Fire Emblem, plus new spin-off plus DLC for both
  • New Xenoblade plus expansion
  • New Splatoon plus expansion
  • New Mario + Rabbids plus DLC
  • New Bayonetta plus spin-off
  • New Zelda
  • New Pikmin plus re-releases of the first two
  • New WarioWare
  • New 2D Mario
  • returns for Advance Wars, Another Code, Endless Ocean and F ZERO after extended absences

Cumulatively that's EPD 3, 4, 5, and 10, NdCube, NST, Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, Game Freak, Creatures, Intelligent Systems, HAL, MercurySteam, Platinum, Ubisoft, Koei-Tecmo and more having shipped at least one first party game in that spell. Realistically I don't think things are going to get much better and I think at least some element of ebb and flow is going to remain over the console lifecycle. If that's not good enough I don't have any argument to make back to you; personal tastes are a huge factor and I also think there has to be a degree of pragmatism about what's possible in current games industry from a pure logistics perspective.

The strategy was always to improve first party support enough to propel a system that could command widespread third party support; it was never about Nintendo alone being the source of all notable games (even if they obviously continue to dominate the Switch software market). On that front, I think Switch has broadly succeeded even if it remains a system that has its obvious oddities given it exists in a weird confluence of spaces (low end home console, high end handheld console, some tablet/mobile crossover) and even if it hasn't successfully met some fan expectations.
My problem is the main point of the Switch as the consolidation of Nintendo's handheld and console lines was specifically to prevent software droughts. It's a big failure in that regard, with years like 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2024 having notable droughts, even near year-long droughts (2020 after ACNH, 2024 largely).

There's always an ebb-and-flow with release cycles. But the number of first party games released on the Switch is on-par with previous home consoles such as the Wii. Not a doubley-buffed lineup like the number of Wii and DS games released during that generation's timespan.

I don't think Pyoro would necessarily tease other games at the same time and might just now have started getting the informations for a possible Direct.

He didn't say anything about the Partner Showcase before its delay, and only corroborated on being a Partner and leaked its content very close to the event. The Indie World too, he only shared stuff like the day prior.

I wouldn't rule out a Direct coming next week. They've done Directs just after Investors Meetings before and this year is a weird year in terms of schedule. But yeah, the game being announced on its own for June by Monday feels like a safer bet than a Direct. I'm just trying to will a May Direct into existence.

My problem is the main point of the Switch as the consolidation of Nintendo's handheld and console lines was specifically to prevent software droughts. It's a big failure in that regard, with years like 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2024 having notable droughts, even near year-long droughts (2020 after ACNH, 2024 largely).

There's always an ebb-and-flow with release cycles. But the number of first party games released on the Switch is on-par with previous home consoles such as the Wii. Not a doubley-buffed lineup like the number of Wii and DS games released during that generation's timespan.
Respectfully, I think it's really stretching things to call 2024 (or tbh, even 2020 really) a year-long drought, unless drought just means anything that isn't a new 3D Zelda or Mario

I also sorta feel like maybe there's some rose-tinted glasses going on with what the Wii/DS or WiiU/3DS 1st party outputs were like compared to the Switch

Back
Top Bottom