• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What are some good DKC-inspired platformers on Switch?

ScOULaris

13 Sentinels Evangelist
Pronouns
He/Him
I just recently picked up Pepper Grinder, and I love how it feels like something of a mash-up between Sonic (with shades of Rayman) and Donkey Kong Country. The DKC influence seems to manifest mostly in the level design, secret placement, shop function, and boss battles. Level design, secrets, and shops all conjure up memories of the original DKC trilogy for me while playing Pepper Grinder, and the challenging boss fights remind me of the whiplash I felt when facing many of Tropical Freeze's surprisingly tough foes. I'm not sure if Pepper Grinder's developer has explicitly called out DKC as an inspiration, but three worlds into this game I think it's pretty clear that it was. Also, the pirate theme and Narwhal-based enemies give me DKC2 vibes all over the place.

pepper-grinder-screenshot8.jpg

A few years ago I played Kaze and the Wild Masks, and that was another lovely and tightly designed love-letter to DKC-style 2D platforming. That one was even more overtly inspired by DKC, complete with collectable letter medals that spell out KAZE hidden throughout each level. And before that there was surprisingly great Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, which is uniquely special in that it's a DKC-inspired 2D platformer developed by some of the people who worked on the original games themselves.

And you know what? Playing these indie DKC-likes has helped me realize of just how much of a distinctive style the DKC games had (and hopefully will continue to have if we ever get a new one). While the original DKC trilogy was critically and commercially successful, there was always some online sentiment that they could never hang with the Mario games in terms of sheer design prowess. While one could argue that Mario's platforming is a touch more precise than DKC's, the DK games clearly made enough of a mark with some of their unique design tropes and mechanics to inspire future developers down the road. That's a sign of great game design in my opinion.

ss_87b1b8cd91d09c755d4f0ecd7592d6b4794a0aee.1920x1080.jpg
71-SfDcTgcL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Now I'm wondering if there are any other good ones out there that I might have missed. Hit me with those deep-cut recommendations, please!

I would say Marsupilami: Hoobadventure fits the bill.

Two caveats, though: it's a pretty short game and it's on the easy side. Everything else is surprisingly solid for a licensed title.

EDIT: curses, I was beaten!

Yeah, Marsupilami is the best one.

If you want something that's more loosely the same type of game with some obvious inspirations from DKC, there's also Grapple Dog, which has barrel cannons aplenty.

For upcoming games, Grapple Dog is getting a sequel, and Windswept is basically a DKC2 clone, and by far the best recreation of its level design I've ever seen.

I'm so glad I made this thread. I've already learned about three games that I hadn't heard of before, and they all look right up my alley.

I haven’t found one yet. Depends on what you’re looking for though, if you strictly mean the first Donkey Kong Country, even its sequels weren’t very similar.

I wish there were more, but I only know about Kaze (it's great!).

If there are any other Rare DKC inspired games out there, I'd love to try them. I didn't like Yooka-Laylee too much, despite being made by ex-Rare people, it felt more like a poor man's Retro DKC, controls are waaaay too floaty.

I'll take a look at Pepper Grinder and Windswept.

If there are any other Rare DKC inspired games out there, I'd love to try them. I didn't like Yooka-Laylee too much, despite being made by ex-Rare people, it felt more like a poor man's Retro DKC, controls are waaaay too floaty.
It was so bizarre going back to Impossible Lair after finally playing the first Yooka-Laylee and realizing they somehow massively downgraded how the character feels to control. Impossible Lair did this thing where you have insane inertia from practically nothing, so you can start moving, and then hop across the entire length of the screen without touching the stick just on the momentum that gave you. It runs out quicker on the ground, but not instantly. It felt like I needed to jump backwards instead of stopping after every landing so I could get rid of my forwards momentum without running off the ledge.

Yokus Island Express is a nice Pinballvania/Jump´n`Run with good Donkey Kong vibes.

Edit: Oh and there is this IPhone game from the Stamper Brothers which looks exactly like the original DKC games: Kroco Bongo!

Last edited:
@ScOULaris love this thread idea and I immensely enjoyed my time with Impossible Lair and Kaze. Beating Impossible Lair is one of my happiest gaming moments.

There was a thread a couple months ago about 2D indies that you'd probably enjoy reading through:

My main shout out in that thread was to Splasher, I really absolutely loved that game. The Rayman Origins/Legends design philosophy shows through remarkably, as it comes from some of the same devs. The levels are tight and focused with engaging designs and very satisfying, DKC/Rayman-esque collectibles. It's definitely been one of my favorite platforming experiences on Switch. It would probably be too far to call it a DKC-like but insofar as there's some shared design principles between modern Rayman and DKC, I figured it's worth a mention.

@ScOULaris love this thread idea and I immensely enjoyed my time with Impossible Lair and Kaze. Beating Impossible Lair is one of my happiest gaming moments.

There was a thread a couple months ago about 2D indies that you'd probably enjoy reading through:

My main shout out in that thread was to Splasher, I really absolutely loved that game. The Rayman Origins/Legends design philosophy shows through remarkably, as it comes from some of the same devs. The levels are tight and focused with engaging designs and very satisfying, DKC/Rayman-esque collectibles. It's definitely been one of my favorite platforming experiences on Switch. It would probably be too far to call it a DKC-like but insofar as there's some shared design principles between modern Rayman and DKC, I figured it's worth a mention.

Yep. Splasher is great as well. More of its own thing with some light Rayman influence, but I really liked it when I played it a few years ago.

Yokus Island Express is a nice Pinballvania/Jump´n`Run with good Donkey Kong vibes.

Edit: Oh and there is this IPhone game from the Stamper Brothers which looks exactly like the original DKC games: Kroco Bongo!
Yoku's Island Express is absolutely wonderful. I never thought I'd never enjoy a pinball-based platformer, let alone as a Metroidvania, but it is so delightful and well designed. There is one control mechanic that I had trouble with but it was a very minor drop in a big ocean of fun and delight.

Yoku's Island Express is absolutely wonderful. I never thought I'd never enjoy a pinball-based platformer, let alone as a Metroidvania, but it is so delightful and well designed. There is one control mechanic that I had trouble with but it was a very minor drop in a big ocean of fun and delight.

I agree, and the music was pretty good too^^

Back
Top Bottom