• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Square Enix books ¥22.1 billion extraordinary loss for FY2024 after it reviewed its HD development pipeline

Hey maybe some of that money can go into re-evaluating their AI and NFT pushes instead of forcing unrealistic sales expectations for games lmao

I’m pretty sure charge means loss?

They lost 22bil yen probably??

Or at least I saw on the sale forum.
Hey maybe some of that money can go into re-evaluating their AI and NFT pushes instead of forcing unrealistic sales expectations for games lmao

Oh lmao, I misread 'charge' as in they were investing money into re-evaluating their HD pipeline, not that they'd taken that money as a loss.

it's a loss. Even with Rebirth wow

No, they're still profitable(probably?)
Booking an extraordinary charge means that they're recording the loss that it cost them to develop the game(s) they just canned in the year.
Considering that 22Billion yen($140M dollars) figure, it's def some big project(s) and/or a lot of mid/low budget titles and/or a combination of both.

Edit: In hindsight, should probably wait for more information, this could also mean a loss for the FY as well.
Oh lmao, I misread 'charge' as in they were investing money into re-evaluating their HD pipeline, not that they'd taken that money as a loss.

Yeah, the new CEO did say he was going to do exactly this and he brought the axe down.

Last edited:
I think this may be related to the collapse in value of the yen? Like yeah they cancelled games, but the money they had spent on those games should have already been accounted for in the budget, spending LESS money on them would be a positive. Fiscal year 2024 ends July 30th of this year, so they're not predicting a loss from those games not releasing.

As per Alex Donaldson (RPG Site, VG247):
Quite a number of games have been cancelled or indefinitely paused, even some stuff that was only about 12 months out. Kiryu is serious as a heart attack about his adjustments & new strategy. Real strong leadership and actions.

Feel like Square is going the Capcom way and will kill off most of their A/AA games.

If SE is to focus on AAA efforts only, they're probably in for a rude awakening. Their biggest IP's doesnt have the same strength as Capcoms - Final Fantasy is probably the least popular it's been right now since the SNES days despite reviewing very well, KH games takes forever and the DQ.. seems to struggle a bit both with the quality of some of it's releases and the lack of news regarding both DQ12 and DQ3HD-2D is a bit worrying.

I think Square Enix has published and probably has too many projects going on - but I dont think they can cut off the majority of their mid range catalogue. It's a part of their strength.

Hopefully it's a solid mix of AAA efforts and continue to deliver a solid amount of good RPG's that's not AAA.

Quite a number of games have been cancelled or indefinitely paused, even some stuff that was only about 12 months out.
Damn, you have to wonder what those projects that got cancelled are. At a 22 billion yen charge, that's gotta be at least one AAA game down the drain. Hopefully Square had the sense to retain some of their AA catalog. Just... market them better and give them a stronger sense of identity.

its-terrible-day-for-rain-its-not-raining.gif

I don't think Asano or any of their successful AA efforts are really in danger ..... people always get scared about that but it doesn't make sense to throw something away that's working

It is worrying for trying new things or forming new partnership but not many of those have worked as of late

I don't think Asano or any of their successful AA efforts are really in danger ..... people always get scared about that but it doesn't make sense to throw something away that's working

It is worrying for trying new things or forming new partnership but not many of those have worked as of late
Asano's games will be fine, he got promoted recently iirc. Maybe no more Various Daylife's etc from him though.

Asano's games will be fine, he got promoted recently iirc. Maybe no more Various Daylife's etc from him though.
I think Saga, Mana (if you consider that AA at this point), and maybe whatever they want to do with the Gemdrops partnership is probably safe too

Mana is kind of a no duh but I'm just saying safe AA is more than just Asano most likely

I think Saga, Mana (if you consider that AA at this point), and maybe whatever they want to do with the Gemdrops partnership is probably safe too

Mana is kind of a no duh but I'm just saying safe AA is more than just Asano most likely

I would be less concerned about Mana if Switch 2 would've released this year. I have a feeling SQEX thinks the same.

Now this doesn't mean the game would be a massive success if this was the case, but let's be honest, a Mana series game needs a Nintendo system, especially in Japan.

SaGa will always be safe. For some reason, it feels Kawazu can do as he pleases. He must have dirt on everyone working at SQEX or going to work there. ;D

I feel like the crux of the issue is that SE are just rubbish at nurturing and promoting their own IP. They fling out so much stuff that, outside of RPGs, the company doesn't really have an identity or overarching strategy in the way Capcom does. They churn out game after game with incredible speed, but without giving the previous game a chance to breathe and nurture an audience. A case in point, Harvestella is a gem of a game that could have done much better with better marketing and a bit more polish, but SE dropped it lickety split before and after release because Octopath 2 became the new priority.

Outside of that Final Fantasy is in a bit of an identity crisis with the gameplay and themes shifting with each new release, leaving gamers confused as to exactly what they are getting. I'm still not sure why they expected millions of people to commit for a Part 2 that follows an already very long first instalment many wouldn't have finished. And as for Kingdom Hearts, well it still boggles my mind these games aren't actually bigger then they are. You have games featuring pretty much every animated Disney character under the sun in a massive crossover event, and yet it's a franchise barely known outside of enthusiast circles.

The games they are producing aren't the problem, they need to look at their own internal procedures and develop a strong consistent identity like Nintendo and Capcom, not this 'THROW EVERYTHING AT THE WALL' approach they've been taking for the past few years.

Feel like Square is going the Capcom way and will kill off most of their A/AA games.
I feel it's quite the opposite. AAA games that are losing them serious money and A/AA are making some (especially when teamed up with Nintendo). I have no doubt Square had some sure-to-be-a-bomb AAA games coming out soon, stuff similar to Star Ocean 6 or Valkyrie Elysium. By cancelling them they'll save all the marketing money, which should be substantial. Visions of Mana is too close to get axed but lose Square some huge money, coming out on systems with zero audience for the game.

My prediction is Square will go even harder on remasters/remakes to make some quick buck, as they're pretty much guaranteed to sell well. That DQ3 remake could be some sort of relief but I expect more.

Meaning that in the future they will give no support to Nintendo consoles. They will go all in on PS, Xbox and PC like Capcom. When Capcom stopped making A/AA games they no longer made any games for Nintendo ecosystem.

When Capcom stopped making A/AA games they no longer made any games for Nintendo ecosystem.
Monster Hunter Stories? Monster Hunter Rise? MegaMan 11? Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection? Just to name a few Switch games, plus ports, collections and remasters in general of older games.

I don't see the issue here. Besides, the industry doesn't have to revolve around Nintendo hardware solely. Sure, not every other publisher is going to be as successful with their strategy as Capcom have been, but the latter have been proven right in their own approach with how well their stuff sells, be it on Nintendo platforms or outside of those. Square will have to figure out if it works for them, too, or whether they'll have to take another path entirely (doing a Level-5 e.g. during the DS / 3DS days and focusing on Nintendo hardware as an alternative approach in the future).

Can't really say that this will lead to Square's doom as of right now, is what I'm trying to say.

I feel it's quite the opposite. AAA games that are losing them serious money and A/AA are making some (especially when teamed up with Nintendo). I have no doubt Square had some sure-to-be-a-bomb AAA games coming out soon, stuff similar to Star Ocean 6 or Valkyrie Elysium. By cancelling them they'll save all the marketing money, which should be substantial. Visions of Mana is too close to get axed but lose Square some huge money, coming out on systems with zero audience for the game.

My prediction is Square will go even harder on remasters/remakes to make some quick buck, as they're pretty much guaranteed to sell well. That DQ3 remake could be some sort of relief but I expect more.
SO6 and Valkyrie Elysium are not AAA. Like, at all? If anything they couldn't be further from that. AAA isn't 3D environments with a controllable camera not releasing on Switch. Those two are perfect examples of smaller-budget commercial failures from SE.

Also lol at Visions of Mana having zero audience on the platforms it's releasing on, especially PS and PC. Switch is currently the biggest JRPG platform, no doubt, but this idea that these kinds of games don't sell anymore on PS or are irrelevant on PC is beyond nonsensical.

Square Enix is absolutely going the Capcom way. Doesn't mean they're axing everything smaller than FF/KH/(mainline)DQ. But everything Kiryu has said, and is now doing, points towards that being the case.

Chances are they are simply doing less A/AA and taking fewer business risks, especially with trying new IPs (be them AAA or lower budget). And if it has to be this way what I'm hoping for is serious commitment to everything multi-platform and a more focused nurturing of their existing, established franchises, be them smaller (Octopath/Mana/TriStrat), or bigger (FF/KH).

Last edited:
From a gamer standpoint really disappointing:

Square-Enix has felt like a return to the PS1 days in putting out the most random filled selection of interesting A Titles:

Only looking at Non-DQ/ FF recent Switch Releases:

Triangle Strategy
DioField Chronicle
Harvestella
PARANORMASIGHT
Voice Of Cards
The Centennial Case
Dungeon Encounters!
All the PS1 Remasters
Tactics Ogre
ActRaiser

Most of which I doubt we would have gotten under the new strategy.

Last edited:
If what Alex Donaldson said is true and they canceled stuff that was 1 year from release than oof, that's brutal. A truly drastic approach.

I think they might even walk back on some spin-offs for the bigger IPs. SaGa too, no matter how much we like to joke about Kawazu having dirt on SE's execs (which is pretty funny don't get me wrong) might be in trouble. They're incredibly niche titles to the point of SE not even localizing them in languages other than English and they give them "budget" price tags on top of that. If I were a fan I'd be a touch worried the series might be put on ice.

Almost all of Square's AA games bombed.

I’m pretty sure charge means loss?

They lost 22bil yen probably??

Or at least I saw on the sale forum.
I was worng
It’s not losses from games but money wasted on game budgets and development they canceled.

Though they also probably lost an extraordinary amount of money from games this year so that worse honestly

To think they'd just offload their workforce if they were a western publisher!

Meaning that in the future they will give no support to Nintendo consoles. They will go all in on PS, Xbox and PC like Capcom. When Capcom stopped making A/AA games they no longer made any games for Nintendo ecosystem.
That's one hell of a leap.

I… you mean like when Monster Hunter got a stack of games across 3DS and Switch, including Capcom’s second-best-selling game, ever? (MH Rise/Sunbreak).

Last edited:
I feel like the crux of the issue is that SE are just rubbish at nurturing and promoting their own IP. They fling out so much stuff that, outside of RPGs, the company doesn't really have an identity or overarching strategy in the way Capcom does. They churn out game after game with incredible speed, but without giving the previous game a chance to breathe and nurture an audience. A case in point, Harvestella is a gem of a game that could have done much better with better marketing and a bit more polish, but SE dropped it lickety split before and after release because Octopath 2 became the new priority.

Outside of that Final Fantasy is in a bit of an identity crisis with the gameplay and themes shifting with each new release, leaving gamers confused as to exactly what they are getting. I'm still not sure why they expected millions of people to commit for a Part 2 that follows an already very long first instalment many wouldn't have finished. And as for Kingdom Hearts, well it still boggles my mind these games aren't actually bigger then they are. You have games featuring pretty much every animated Disney character under the sun in a massive crossover event, and yet it's a franchise barely known outside of enthusiast circles.

The games they are producing aren't the problem, they need to look at their own internal procedures and develop a strong consistent identity like Nintendo and Capcom, not this 'THROW EVERYTHING AT THE WALL' approach they've been taking for the past few years.
I feel that with Star Ocean 2 remake, they were at least trying to do the whole nurture your audience thing.

And it still baffles me that KINGDOM HEARTS isn't waay bigger than it is. It should theoritically be bigger than even FINAL FANTASY. But I think a lot may do with Disney licencing.

I feel that with Star Ocean 2 remake, they were at least trying to do the whole nurture your audience thing.

And it still baffles me that KINGDOM HEARTS isn't waay bigger than it is. It should theoritically be bigger than even FINAL FANTASY. But I think a lot may do with Disney licencing.

I think that KH could and should be bigger than it is much like you say, but at this point - I dont think it's unfathomable that it's bigger than FF come next KH release.

Next KH game could be massive, and by the look of it.. 16 and rebirth doesnt look like they're doing too hot. I really think Square needs to rethink how they approach FF.

I really hope their old focus on remastering their catalog didnt get hit too hard by this. That was always a fun thing I liked to see now and then. I also hope bravely somehow survives…

Granted with stuff like harvestella, daylife and such being pumped excessively that one year maybe it’s worth hitting the breaks on stuff like that

I think that KH could and should be bigger than it is much like you say, but at this point - I dont think it's unfathomable that it's bigger than FF come next KH release.

Next KH game could be massive, and by the look of it.. 16 and rebirth doesnt look like they're doing too hot. I really think Square needs to rethink how they approach FF.

The problem with Kingdom Hearts is that it's disappeared up it's own behind with all the lore, to the point that the obtuse story is probably the best known thing about it beyond the fact it's a Disney crossover.

This fucking sucks but SE is in need of a reckoning for decades of mismanagement. Someone purple-side pointed out that with such a huge loss, it's very likely a AAA game got canned mid-development. I wonder if we'll hear any on specific titles.

Oh, and as an aside, "content disposal" is a truly rancid phrase. Literally treating their art like garbage.

It's...not?

As it currently stands (15, 16) I'm not so sure

And even then, KH was partially missmanaged (kinda all over the place with releases).

KH4 seems to be a ...not reboot... Soft realignment away from established lore?

Could help it become a new jump in point and the best selling one.

Ff7R could also take a huge jump with the third (and collection rerelease).

And both series could benefit from switch2 rerelease.

I'm more worried about new FFs and other series. What will happen with FF17 (and when...)

The thing with a lot of Square projects in the last few years is that they were primarily developed by external studios. Their internal staff is pretty much relegated to Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest. Even then, ORCA is seemingly a co-dev for DQ now.

I can't imagine that smaller titles like Paranormasight or Dungeon Encounters were breaking the bank, especially if they were mostly outsourced. Though maybe with AAA requirments ballooning, the smaller games are suffering unless there's significant profit.

It looks like Asano projects are safe for the most part due to his promotion, but I feel like they'll be focusing on established IP (Bravely/Octopath/Triangle) and remakes rather than new experiences.

And with that Dragon Quest Builders 3 effectively exists no more
Better luck next life!

ironically their best selling game last FY might very well be the Mario RPG remake

Would Square even got a lot of money out of that? They licensed some the character's to Nintendo but that's about it. Nintendo was the publisher and ArtePiazza was the developer, which I think is independent from Square.

Square-Enix is kind of a mess right now, but I have a soft spot for several of their “AA” releases the past two years (Live A Live, Triangle Strategy, Harvestella, Paranormasight, Star Ocean: The Second Story R, Tactics Ogre Reborn). I feel like the biggest problem is that they’re all unequivocally gems, but all released in a relatively short timeframe and didn’t get the full marketing/hype cycle that they may have deserved.

Their few “AAA” releases in the past several years outside of FFVII: Rebirth weren’t critical or financial darlings either. And those timed exclusivity deals with Sony clearly were the wrong way to go. Bring Forspoken, FFXVI, Rebirth, etc. to Steam and Xbox soon, try to build on those disappointments, and get a larger installbase excited for your future releases on Day One.

Bring Forspoken, FFXVI, Rebirth, etc. to Steam and Xbox soon, try to build on those disappointments, and get a larger installbase excited for your future releases on Day One.
Forspoken released multiplatform on day one, I would know cause I bought and played Forspoken on Steam. It suffered pretty heavily from the marketing and review cycle, as well as a bunch of other factors. It was admittedly not super good, but it wasn't much worse than a lot of other AAA games in that monogenre. They just once again poured a ton of money into a losing project and mismanaged it at every step they possibly could.

The problem with Kingdom Hearts is that it's disappeared up it's own behind with all the lore, to the point that the obtuse story is probably the best known thing about it beyond the fact it's a Disney crossover.

as someone that's never played one even the names are confusing

This is the cost of locking games on PS5. It's not the Ps4, folks. I knew this would end poorly back in 2020, I'm surprised they haven't found a way to wiggle out of those exclusivity deals. Their best best is making up the lost costs with switch 2 ports.

Go PS5, sales take a dive.
A wagon on which to hitch, go Nintendo Switch.
Need success out of the blue? Choose Nintendo Switch 2.

- Anonymous

Feel like Harvestella was such a huge failure that it was the straw that broke the camel’s back and now I feel bad for not buying it.

Just don’t have enough time nowadays :(

I wonder how many Xbox ports of SE games have been canceled.

I think SE needs to realize how important the Nintendo audience is to them. Kingdom Hearts 4 on Switch 2 will be much better for them than a Series X/S version.

I swear if they cancelled the FF Tactics remaster this company is dead to me

Very sad development, i really liked their smaller titles...

This is the cost of locking games on PS5. It's not the Ps4, folks. I knew this would end poorly back in 2020, I'm surprised they haven't found a way to wiggle out of those exclusivity deals. Their best best is making up the lost costs with switch 2 ports.

Go PS5, sales take a dive.
A wagon on which to hitch, go Nintendo Switch.
Need success out of the blue? Choose Nintendo Switch 2.

- Anonymous

This too. We haven’t yet seen the sales successes of more traditional games on PS5 like we did on PS4. In Japan, we see the console selling fairly well comparatively, but software sales are noticeably worse, likely due to the rise of GaaS/f2p.

I don’t necessarily think a Switch 2 will solve everything, though. I expect similar declines when compared to the Switch - at some point it’s just impossible to replicate the “Switch effect” that was there for first party games, Indies, impossible ports, etc., but having an active and traditional userbase more versed in purchasing smaller games will do the industry good. And I think a lot of developers and publishers will not want to miss out for the first few years like they may have with the Switch.

SE’s AA games are often my favourite output from them, so I really hope they’re not gutting them completely. That said, looking back at 2022, that really was an utterly stuffed year where it felt like SE’s releases may have been competing with each other more than they should have been and didn’t get as much marketing as they needed. So while maybe a repeat of that year’s release schedule doesn’t need to happen again, I just hope there isn’t an overcorrection.

What does this mean for the DQIII HD remake that's been MIA?

Likely nothing at all.

What's more likely, in my opinion, is that especially after such spectacular flops like Foamstars, and seeing similar stories across the industry, a la Suicide Squad's failure, and Sega's Hyenas being cancelled, SE is likely being very careful about what kinds of games they are going to bother greenlighting and/or letting see the light of day. I cannot imagine they are going to continue pursuing too many more GAAS ventures in this way.

Or to put it more bluntly:

Probably could cancel smaller DQ and FF spinoffs.

Stranger of Paradise and Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai did not do well.

I could see them continuing to try AA GaaS games after Helldivers 2 made several billion dollars, but single player stuff like Harvestella is just high-risk, low-upside unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom