• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Predicting the first batch of Nintendo Selects

Wockio

Kikwi Enthusiast
Pronouns
He
As a reminder, here's the first batch of North American Selects of previous consoles:

Wii (May 15, 2011)
Wii Sports
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Mario Super Sluggers

Nintendo 3DS (March 11, 2016)
Mario Party: Island Tour
Yoshi's New Island
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Wii U (March 11, 2016)
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
NES Remix Pack

This is my prediction:

Price: 19.99 24.99
Release date: May 30

Super Mario Maker 2
Yoshi's Crafted World
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Metroid Dread
Kirby Star Allies

Here's my prediction:

There's not gonna be a Nintendo Selects line going forward.
Unfortunately, I think this is correct. We're increasingly moving towards a digital dominated ecosystem, Nintendo included, and doing special prints just to discount games is less and less feasible. Nintendo can keep their backlog at original price in perpetuity by default, and then have sales whenever they want to.

Having said that, here is what I would pick:

Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenobalde Chronicles Definitive Edition
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Pikmin 3 Deluxe

And if they can go outside their own first party developed games:
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Octopath Traveller
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Dragon Quest XIS: Echoes of an Elusive Age

I'm feeling $29.99 for the discounted line, and I don't think they'll be introduced until the holiday season.

Nintendo can easily do Nintendo Selects by making them a rotating library of discounted titles that are only available digitally for NSO subscribers. That's what I expect, and it makes guessing them difficult because I do think they'll rotate titles in and out.

But for selfish reasons, Captain Toad and the first Hyrule Warriors will be there, so that I can finally buy them again.

Here's my prediction:

There's not gonna be a Nintendo Selects line going forward.
This.

I think the only reason Nintendo has a Selects Line on the Wii U is because of how the system failed to reach the numbers Nintendo wanted. Put cheaper games out, hoping people buy the console.

With the Switch it doesn make sense to do with the digital market and the sales of the console itself.

Mario Odyssey
Metroid Dread
Kirby Star Allies
1 2 Switch
Links Awakening
(assuming we have Nintendo selects, which I think we will)

Mario Odyssey
ARMS
Yoshi's Crafted World
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition

$30 each

I do think it's more likely they try some weird NSO subscriber-based discount rather than a Selects line though. And that's assuming they don't already see the NSO vouchers as this generation's equivalent of Selects

I expect if Nintendo Player's Choice/Selects ever returns, I would imagine that it would manifest as 1-to-3 older Switch titles put on deep discount (70-80%) each month for NSO subscribers.

Besides what everyone else has mentioned:

1, 2 Switch
Pokken Tournament
(They should put Lets Go and Sword/Shield out for $30 but that will never happen)
Mario Tennis Aces
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (make it $20)
Super Mario Party
Astral Chain (if Platinum is on board)

But like others have said, I am skeptical of a Selects line coming out for the Switch.

I think selects is more likely to just be digital only versions of early Switch first party games, and have sales based around it, than printing and shipping games with new box art.

Nintendo can easily do Nintendo Selects by making them a rotating library of discounted titles that are only available digitally for NSO subscribers. That's what I expect, and it makes guessing them difficult because I do think they'll rotate titles in and out.

But for selfish reasons, Captain Toad and the first Hyrule Warriors will be there, so that I can finally buy them again.
Wouldn't say no to more NSO benefits. I don't expect Nintendo selects any more but we can hope they do some deeper discounts than the regular 30-33%, like 60% which would be 24$ but temporarily.

There won’t be a discounted line.

They are going to keep selling botw, oddyssey, wonder, 8 and ultimate as long as they can. And at the current rate they will be mainstays for people to get with a switch 2.

The Nintendo selects in question is which ones they decide to upgrade the box for the next console and increase the price in turn for.

I do think it's more likely they try some weird NSO subscriber-based discount rather than a Selects line though. And that's assuming they don't already see the NSO vouchers as this generation's equivalent of Selects
Unfortunately, I think this is correct. We're increasingly moving towards a digital dominated ecosystem, Nintendo included, and doing special prints just to discount games is less and less feasible. Nintendo can keep their backlog at original price in perpetuity by default, and then have sales whenever they want to.
You'll take your $14.99 digital vouchers off a $70 title 7 years after launch and you will like it.
I think the vouchers are the nintendo selects of the switch era
Vouchers have been there since almost the beginning while, as you can see in my post, Selects are a late generation thing. Vouchers also have no physical presence and that's always been important for Nintendo, who still sells a majority of their software physically.

No idea why everyone in the thread is so skeptical. It's something they have been very consistent at, and the titles I mentioned aren't really selling a ton anymore.

I don't think there will be a selects line, but if there was it would be for games that require online to really get the most out of the game or have DLC they want to sell. And of course be historically lower sellers (so no smash, AC, MK8 since those will likely sell the same either way).

So, Mario tennis, Mario golf, super mario maker, splatoon 2/3, FE games, older Xenoblades. That’s my thought on these as they can upsell NSO and DLC easier this way (especially if they mention it in the marketing).

Here’s my full list of expected Nintendo Switch Selects:

Yep that’s the list

Octopath is no longer published by Nintendo on the eShop, so it's no longer an option

Solid list otherwise
There were 3rd Party published Nintendo Selects games in the past

s-l1200.jpg
s-l400.jpg
disney-frozen-olafs-quest-nintendo-selects-487783.6.jpg

Just like many 3rd Party titles were under the Player's Choice label in systems prior the Wii

No idea why everyone in the thread is so skeptical. It's something they have been very consistent at, and the titles I mentioned aren't really selling a ton anymore
Well the thing is, unlike the Wii U, they don't have to sell games on the cheap to try and push their system. We also know that Nintendo is not the type of company to do drastic sales to increase volume. The biggest kicker however would be their digital offerings. Offering eshop discounts, the digital vouchers and NSO features are more than adequate replacements for the Selects series, especially as these would not be limited to NA territories (which is good news for me!).

We still don’t know how (if!) they will handle the next gen patch.

I can see them release free next gen patch so they can justify games like Botw and Odyssey being at full price for the next 7-8 years ~.

Last edited:
I hate that they are called Nintendo Selects. Sounds like cuts of meat to me. Always reminds me of that awful Subway guy trying to sell me sandwiches.

Players Choice! Now that’s a great name! It has such a nice ring to it!

My predictions of a potential 1st wave of a Nintendo Selects line if one were to be introduced for the Switch in prep for the Switch 2 so people get these games if they are also dipping into the Switch ecosystem for the first time with the Switch 2 - all for $30 each.

Metroid Dread
1-2 Switch
ARMS
Super Mario Maker 2
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Yoshi's Crafted World
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Tennis Aces
Mario Golf: Super Rush
Mario Strikers: Battle League

Crazy additional idea: With the Mario Sports games, Nintendo could offer them separately but also do a 3-pack 'Mario Sports Collection' digitally and physically for $60/$70 with Tennis, Golf, and Strikers together but that is likely way too out there but I wanted to bring it up regardless.

That would be my prediction. I could imagine a price of $29.99 (€). I wouldn't rule out a digital-only release.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Yoshi's Crafted World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Kirby Star Allies

Having said that, here is what I would pick:

Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenobalde Chronicles Definitive Edition
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Pikmin 3 Deluxe

And if they can go outside their own first party developed games:
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Octopath Traveller
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Dragon Quest XIS: Echoes of an Elusive Age
I understand what you mean but I don’t see why there could not be a Select range on the Nintendo eShop, with for example $30 games labeled as follows

I understand what you mean but I don’t see why there could not be a Select range on the Nintendo eShop, with for example $30 games labeled as follows

Because they don't need a range to do that and I would bet they get more sales from temporary discounts than a permenant discount anyway (human psychology is dumb)

Last edited:
I hate that they are called Nintendo Selects. Sounds like cuts of meat to me. Always reminds me of that awful Subway guy trying to sell me sandwiches.

Players Choice! Now that’s a great name! It has such a nice ring to it!
It’s to entice you to lick the Switch cartridge

Back
Top Bottom