• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 230 57.6%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 48 12.0%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 63 15.8%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 33 8.3%

• Total voters
I've been thinking to myself.. Nintendo has conditioned their audience to not care about specs, technical details and such.. (and I'm very thankful for that, for the matter), very rarely they mention stuff like that and often avoid the terminology that can scare the wider public in their marketing; Even in situations like Skyward Sword HD, which was clearly updated to 60fps vs. 30fps from the Wii original, they didn't mention at all until the press had the chance to play it.

I don't think the improvements and the specs leap from Switch 1 to Switch 2 is a simple task to market for them, coming from that context. Sure, they can show some of the side by side comparisons, they have done that with New 3DS load times vs. older models... but I don't think resolution up to 4K, ray tracing and the like will be a thing in their advertisements. It's going to be a thing more when you analyze it further yourself.. They really will try to go for more tangible stuff that anyone can notice.
They don’t need to market anything technical. The jump is huge, like it’s going to be obvious to consumers and the general public. There will not be any explanation. There doesn’t need to be an explanation; seeing the games is enough.

This is why I cannot wait for the first software presentation for the Switch 2. It’s literally going to be insane, like truly industry-changing. I’m talking similar to the first couple of iPhones keynotes. And like the initial reveal of the Switch times that by 2X. This is a major catalyst for DLSS that has industry wide implications. How games are developed going forward? The importance of native resolution? the public perception of native rendering? Consoles? This is serious.

People are going to look at their big boxes and scratch their heads because the games on Switch 2 will not look any different. Mouths will be opened. Jaws will be dropped. Tears will shed. Nintendo is going to redefine what's graphically possible on a such a small device.

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Just checked the Wipo site. It looks like they filed a trademark for a little blue guy under categories 9 and 28. Kind of reminds me of the shopping bag avatar the eshop had for 3ds and Wii U.

Edit: hold on, this doesn't seem right. The description in the filing sounds like something completely different nvm.

This is my perspective and how I felt at the time. I LOVED my DS. I didn’t care about the 3DS because it was too similar to the DS. To me it felt like another incremental upgrade. Like another DS lite. When I saw the price, I was confused to why it was so high. I didn’t realize it was a next gen device. The 3D was cool tho. I didn’t get a 3DS until Pokémon X&Y came out. I was in no rush to get the device.

• Too similar to the DS
  • Not big enough graphical jump
  • Priced too high (perceptually even higher because of the first two points)
  • No games I actually want at launch
The 3DS and Wii U kind of had the same problem. The 3DS escaped de4th because of the price slash and the handheld ips (Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, etc). The Wii U didn’t have those handheld ips.

The Switch to me was instantly worth the price even though it was higher.

I've been thinking to myself.. Nintendo has conditioned their audience to not care about specs, technical details and such.. (and I'm very thankful for that, for the matter), very rarely they mention stuff like that and often avoid the terminology that can scare the wider public in their marketing; Even in situations like Skyward Sword HD, which was clearly updated to 60fps vs. 30fps from the Wii original, they didn't mention at all until the press had the chance to play it.

I don't think the improvements and the specs leap from Switch 1 to Switch 2 is a simple task to market for them, coming from that context. Sure, they can show some of the side by side comparisons, they have done that with New 3DS load times vs. older models... but I don't think resolution up to 4K, ray tracing and the like will be a thing in their advertisements. It's going to be a thing more when you analyze it further yourself.. They really will try to go for more tangible stuff that anyone can notice.
I expect this time they will promote the technical bump as hard as they can. Because Switch was the first system that many first party games struggled to run on it, such as Xenoblade, Pokémon, Yoshi and even Hyrule duology. Even the most mainstream owners of Switch were aware of this. The successor will be a fresh breath of air, games looking and performing much better will be a massive selling point of the console. I also expect Nintendo to showcase this with couple of big graphically modern games from partner studios, aiming to have the similar "wow" factor the Switch had when it first revealed.

I don't think Nintendo's silence on Skyward Sword is any indication whatsoever. They did market the improvements New 3DS brought to the existing games, such as improved load times and framerate. If the system is packing some serious horsepower, they will talk about it.

They don’t need to market anything technical. The jump is huge, like it’s going to be obvious to consumers and the general public. There will not be any explanation. There doesn’t need to be an explanation; seeing the games is enough.

This is why I cannot wait for the first software presentation for the Switch 2. It’s literally going to be insane, like truly industry-changing. I’m talking similar to the first couple of iPhones keynotes. And like the initial reveal of the Switch times that by 2X. This is a major catalyst for DLSS that has industry wide implications. How games are developed going forward? The importance of native resolution? the public perception of native rendering? Consoles? This is serious.

People are going to look at their big boxes and scratch their heads because the games on Switch 2 will not look any different. Mouths will be opened. Jaws will be dropped. Tears will shed. Nintendo is going to redefine what's graphically possible on a such a small device.

I cannot wait to see the new 3D Mario…it’s going to be bonkers, I can’t even imagine what they’re cooking up.

The fact that Capcom gave Switch a timed exclusive for its #2 series makes me see the idea of Capcom giving Switch 2 a timed exclusive for their #1 series seem less preposterous than the previous few posters.

I cannot wait to see the new 3D Mario…it’s going to be bonkers, I can’t even imagine what they’re cooking up.

Yeah I’m expecting some pretty amazing things. I’d love them to bring back the capture mechanics from odyssey but I’m also open to some other crazy ideas.

I don't think Switch 2 will have a lot 3rd party exclusives, going by the Switch line up in hindsight
The only third party exclusives Switch 2 will have is when Nintendo pays the likes of Bandai, Koei Tecmo, Platinum games etc to make games for Switch 2, like with Switch 1.

The fact that Capcom gave Switch a timed exclusive for its #2 series makes me see the idea of Capcom giving Switch 2 a timed exclusive for their #1 series seem less preposterous than the previous few posters.
I think the difference is that Capcom saw the worth when it came to Monster hunter because how big both Monster hunter and Switch are in Japan, so it was their way to get a Monster hunter game out on Switch to capitalize on the huge fan base the series had in Japan that could not play Monster hunter on their own console. While Resident evil is much bigger in the west than in Japan so they don't have the same incentives to do the same with Resident evil and Switch 2.

While looking at the Golden Sun/Lost Odyssey Kickstarter game I saw this one and saw the goals (a couple of days ago) and there was no mention on switch 2. So I guess NE reached out, or viceversa, to specify a successor version, which hey at this point if you are kickstarting something you should have it noted down.

While looking at the Golden Sun/Lost Odyssey Kickstarter game I saw this one and saw the goals (a couple of days ago) and there was no mention on switch 2. So I guess NE reached out, or viceversa, to specify a successor version, which hey at this point if you are kickstarting something you should have it noted down.

It seems that they announced it through their official channels a few days ago, and until today they did not edit the description of the Kickstarter

Last edited:
What do people think the "update" for Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope for the Switch successor will entail, and when do you think it will release? Day 1? Personally, I'd rather Ubisoft were working on a new Nintendo collaboration for Switch 2's launch year rather than an "update" to an existing game, but I understand how it would likely have a way larger return on investment to just do a port. I'm curious how substantial this update could be...will it just be the same game at a higher resolution or should we expect basically a remaster, potentially even including gameplay refinements?

Yves Guillemot: "Although, I think it was a different issue with Mario. We had already released a Mario Rabbids game [on Switch], so by doing another we had two similar experiences on one machine. On Nintendo, games like this never die. There are 25 Mario games on Switch. Nintendo [has advised] that it's better to do one iteration on each machine. We were a bit too early, we should have waited for [the next console].

"Because you could play a great game. And we think it will last for ten years, because we will update it for the new machine that will come in the future."
[source: GamesIndustry.biz]

What do people think the "update" for Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope for the Switch successor will entail, and when do you think it will release? Day 1? Personally, I'd rather Ubisoft were working on a new Nintendo collaboration for Switch 2's launch year rather than an "update" to an existing game, but I understand how it would likely have a way larger return on investment to just do a port. I'm curious how substantial this update could be...will it just be the same game at a higher resolution or should we expect basically a remaster, potentially even including gameplay refinements?

[source: GamesIndustry.biz]
Now that it's no longer a flop and with Switch 2 being so far removed from the original launch of Sparks of Hope, my guess is that those plans will be scrapped and instead they will just move on to the third entry for a 2026-2027 release

I expect this time they will promote the technical bump as hard as they can. Because Switch was the first system that many first party games struggled to run on it, such as Xenoblade, Pokémon, Yoshi and even Hyrule duology. Even the most mainstream owners of Switch were aware of this. The successor will be a fresh breath of air, games looking and performing much better will be a massive selling point of the console. I also expect Nintendo to showcase this with couple of big graphically modern games from partner studios, aiming to have the similar "wow" factor the Switch had when it first revealed.

I don't think Nintendo's silence on Skyward Sword is any indication whatsoever. They did market the improvements New 3DS brought to the existing games, such as improved load times and framerate. If the system is packing some serious horsepower, they will talk about it.
those will still run bad, koei and game freak are just bad at programming

Now that it's no longer a flop and with Switch 2 being so far removed from the original launch of Sparks of Hope, my guess is that those plans will be scrapped and instead they will just move on to the third entry for a 2026-2027 release
Nah, the work has already been done and DLC just wrapped last year. They won't scrap the plans when it's easy money.

Mainstream Switch owners were not aware of performance issues of the games they played. I also think it's silly to say the Switch was the first Nintendo system where first party games "struggled to run on" when the N64 is right there.

Mainstream Switch owners were not aware of performance issues of the games they played. I also think it's silly to say the Switch was the first Nintendo system where first party games "struggled to run on" when the N64 is right there.
I mean, In N64's era they struggled to run anywhere. Even Dreamcast, who was supposed to have better performance in same games, wasn't the savior people needed (cough tomb raider cough).

And yes, they are aware. I haven't seen any bigger public outcry than the one pokémon Scarlet/Violet got. Sure, the games broke sales record, as any new gen of Pokémon should but it's the first one this many people complained. I'm like 99% sure that Nintendo will talk about power the system packs without giving any technical details. "here, try your beloved Nintendo franchises in 4k first time ever!"

If they truly rectify the mistake with native ports of the collections and KHIII on Switch 2, I still have to wonder if they're gonna offer something for people that "bought" the Cloud versions on Switch 1, as an upgrade path...

I guess Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

Just call it the Switch 2. Yeah it's boring but everything else I've heard so far just sounds like a pro system. Keep it simple. It's worked out for Playstation.

I try to keep my expectations in check regarding third parties on Nintendo systems because I've been here before. Several times. So while nothing is set in stone, I do think this time will be different and the Switch 2 will have major third party support from just about everyone. The only big game that's out/announced right now that I'm a little iffy on is GTA6. Not because I don't think it can't run the Switch 2, but rather the idea of a Nintendo system getting a mainline GTA game at or around the same time as the other systems sounds so alien to me that I still can't wrap my head around it.

More reflective of how bad the industry is at this point in time, but I can't believe how well everything is shaping up for Nintendo and the Switch 2.

• Pretty competitive hardware based on the leaks and shipment docs that showcase some very capable tech between PS4 Pro and Series S
  • Square going aggressive with AAA multiplats on Switch 2
  • Microsoft going full 3rd party with their first party games on Switch 2
  • Call of Duty contractually signed to come to Switch 2 for 10 years
  • Xbox Series S making it so much easier for Switch 2 to get multiplats due to compatibility requirement for all Xbox games, making the gap from the "lowest power console hardware" to Switch 2 incredibly small compared to PS4/PS5 to OG Switch. It wouldn't take a second thought to lower the game specs a tiny bit more to get a brand new huge audience on the Nintendo console since they already have to do it for Series S. And Switch 2 would have more RAM as well
  • Japan essentially being in the palm of their hand
  • Indies thrive off Nintendo hardware, maybe more than any other console platform

This may be the most diversely supported Nintendo hardware ever
This post basically sums up a lot of my thoughts to what I said above.

I know there are a lot opportunities, still keep expectations in check;

1) Expect GTA VI not to arrive on the platform.
2) Bamco’s non-anime releases won’t hit the system. And if they arrive, it won’t be until much later.
3) RTG Studios about not releasing on Switch 2: yeah, well, we’ll think of some bullshit reason why we do not feel like releasing on a Nintendo system.
4) EA apparantly have sons called Luigi.

I know pessimistic, but unless Harada or whoever is in charge of RGT Studios aren’t taken kicking and screaming, they’ll keep their games on the same platform.
I get the pessimism but at this point Harada and Yokoyama might not have a choice but go all in on the Switch 2 just like seemingly ever other Japanese third party. We're in an era now of rising dev costs where these companies are looking to make their money back any way they can. If the Switch 2 is capable of running these games it doesn't matter what backwards shit Harada believes, someone above him will just say tough shit we're putting Tekken 8 on the Switch 2. Same for Yokoyama and RGG. There's already been rumblings about Sega having pretty much everything in their pipeline targeting Switch 2, I doubt RGG will be a holdout when their games can easily run on the system and would go against Sega's greater initiative of expanding Like a Dragon and Persona by putting their games on everything.

I've honestly always expected Kingdom Hearts to hit the next Switch within a year or so of its launch. They might not have been able to get it to run on the og Switch (or just didn't want to expend the resources for a proper port) but with better hardware and their new "multi-platform strategy", this seems more and more likely. Unless Sony still bankrolls Kingdom Hearts exclusivity, that is :v

Just call it the Switch 2. Yeah it's boring but everything else I've heard so far just sounds like a pro system. Keep it simple. It's worked out for Playstation.

I try to keep my expectations in check regarding third parties on Nintendo systems because I've been here before. Several times. So while nothing is set in stone, I do think this time will be different and the Switch 2 will have major third party support from just about everyone. The only big game that's out/announced right now that I'm a little iffy on is GTA6. Not because I don't think it can't run the Switch 2, but rather the idea of a Nintendo system getting a mainline GTA game at or around the same time as the other systems sounds so alien to me that I still can't wrap my head around it.

This post basically sums up a lot of my thoughts to what I said above.

I get the pessimism but at this point Harada and Yokoyama might not have a choice but go all in on the Switch 2 just like seemingly ever other Japanese third party. We're in an era now of rising dev costs where these companies are looking to make their money back any way they can. If the Switch 2 is capable of running these games it doesn't matter what backwards shit Harada believes, someone above him will just say tough shit we're putting Tekken 8 on the Switch 2. Same for Yokoyama and RGG. There's already been rumblings about Sega having pretty much everything in their pipeline targeting Switch 2, I doubt RGG will be a holdout when their games can easily run on the system and would go against Sega's greater initiative of expanding Like a Dragon and Persona by putting their games on everything.
Don’t get me wrong, I know full well that if there is a possibility, it should be during the Switch 2. Everything for the ROI or far better.

Still, after years of nonsense quotes, PR discourse and bogus reasons, one can’t help to be careful. As some who loves the Like a Dragon series, it’s a crying shame the series hasn’t hit the Switch yet. But while the reasoning is sound, the many bullshit reasons to not bring over certain titles is still etched into my mind.

I would love to be wrong. But this industry made some interesting choices and while
I hope for the best, I know the Switch 2 will have some notable absentees.

Don’t get me wrong, I know full well that if there is a possibility, it should be during the Switch 2. Everything for the ROI or far better.

Still, after years of nonsense quotes, PR discourse and bogus reasons, one can’t help to be careful. As some who loves the Like a Dragon series, it’s a crying shame the series hasn’t hit the Switch yet. But while the reasoning is sound, the many bullshit reasons to not bring over certain titles is still etched into my mind.

I would love to be wrong. But this industry made some interesting choices and while
I hope for the best, I know the Switch 2 will have some notable absentees.
It'll be a big test for a lot of these companies. Before a lot of them could ignore the success of the Switch because of the hardware's limitations, but if the Switch 2 is as capable as we're expecting then they have no more excuses. Square seemingly realizes this, from everything we've heard Sega and Atlus (minus RGG) realize this, I think most companies realize this. Which is why even though I'd usually agree with you about Harada and RGG, I think this time will be different. Namco just cancelled 5 games and Sega's entire initiative for expanding the LAD series hinges on putting the games on as many systems as possible. They (more than likely) have no choice.

well, the got the perfect person to make it happen
giocorsi.jpg

I want to preface this by saying I trust them with Sega/Atlus leaks and really hope everything they're saying with those companies and beyond are true with Switch 2, but doesn't anyone find it weird that Midori suddenly has such in depth knowledge now of Nintendo, Square, etc? It feels like that shouldn't be possible, and if it is, is it truly reliable?

Also they definitely won't be safe for long if they continue with their complete, non-vague Nintendo leaks like they have been

I want to preface this by saying I trust them with Sega/Atlus leaks and really hope everything they're saying with those companies and beyond are true with Switch 2, but doesn't anyone find it weird that Midori suddenly has such in depth knowledge now of Nintendo, Square, etc? It feels like that shouldn't be possible, and if it is, is it truly reliable?

Also they definitely won't be safe for long if they continue with their complete, non-vague Nintendo leaks like they have been
Semi-serious answer: She's probably one of the most notable leakers on twitter now, so maybe more people are coming to her with information?

Actual answer: She's in the house like carpet

I still recall when she said P3 would be on Switch... then turns out it wouldn't be after the announcements only showed PS/Xbox/PC. And now it's coming to Switch 2, supposedly.

I wonder if EA will make more of their yearly sports series available on Switch 2. So far it has been only outdated FIFAs (or what they're called after the license expired). Madden? NHL?
Given Switch massive success in US market, Madden should be a given next year. Probably NHL or other minor sports game also.

I wonder if EA will make more of their yearly sports series available on Switch 2. So far it has been only outdated FIFAs (or what they're called after the license expired). Madden? NHL?

I’m not going to get my hopes up, but I’d be thrilled with NHL. Every year I just like to do a run at the cup, I don’t get into all the create a character or ultimate team components

I’m not going to get my hopes up, but I’d be thrilled with NHL. Every year I just like to do a run at the cup, I don’t get into all the create a character or ultimate team components
There's got to be a reason they went through the trouble of making Frostbite (or whatever engine the latest Fifa used) run on Switch with the most recent entry methinks

New surprise exclusive footage of GTA 6 for the Switch 2 reveal trailer should happen. That’s the Skyrim of Switch 2. In fact, it’s 5X that. It’s also the rooftop Karen for Switch 2. Should break the Internet.

They need to show it looking good docked and undocked.

More reflective of how bad the industry is at this point in time, but I can't believe how well everything is shaping up for Nintendo and the Switch 2.

• Microsoft going full 3rd party with their first party games on Switch 2

This may be the most diversely supported Nintendo hardware ever
DO we know if Sea of Thieves and hifi rush will come to the system?

New surprise exclusive footage of GTA 6 for the Switch 2 reveal trailer should happen. That’s the Skyrim of Switch 2. In fact, it’s 5X that. It’s also the Karen on the rooftop for Switch 2. Should break the Internet.

They need to show it looking good docked and undocked.
y’all have too high expectations when it comes to 3rd party support, yet exclusivity. Remember the Switch reveal trailer and what happened later that day? Nintendo fans unironically expected RDR2 to be Switch exclusive. Remember E3 2017? Fans expected that AC Origins would get announced for Switch there.

y’all have too high expectations when it comes to 3rd party support, yet exclusivity. Remember the Switch reveal trailer and what happened later that day? Nintendo fans unironically expected RDR2 to be Switch exclusive. Remember E3 2017? Fans expected that AC Origins would get announced for Switch there.
I remember people thinking Beyond Good & Evil 2 could be a Switch exclusive. Turns out it's not on any platform, let alone Switch.

I remember people thinking Beyond Good & Evil 2 could be a Switch exclusive. Turns out it's not on any platform, let alone Switch.

I don't recall coming across anyone who thought either would be on Switch yet alone an exclusive (that's some tasty kool-aid they were drinking), but either way it's still way to early to be having GTA6 discussion lol.

That said, if it's on Series S, there's a much better chance than there's ever been.

God, there were some really crazy rumors flying around in 2016-17
Scott the Woz's video summary of the rumors on the lead up to the reveal is instructive.

Another one summarizing Is this one which goes into more detail on some of the arguments back then

We are right in the middle of a similar process now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom