• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour New trademarks filed for "Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush" and "Fullblox"

mazi

picross pundit
You know it’s the end of a console generation when we report on trademarks, but here we go.

This week, Australian new trademarks the Wii U title Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush and 3DS title Fullblox, also known as Stretchmo, have been registered with the government. These two new trademarks are interesting because the older ones still exist; it’s not a simple renewal, which happens quite often.

So, what does this mean? Are we getting new releases of either of these games? It’s not entirely straightforward, but both of these trademarks are about ten years old. This renewal could simply be a renewal by Nintendo submitted by themselves instead of the third-party company they had before. Also, how would Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush work on a Switch docked?

Whatever the case, it’s been far too long since we’ve seen Mallo pushing and pulling things around.

kirby-tm.jpg

fullblox.jpg

Would be neat holiday game and also as usal Kirby fans are the most well fed Nintendo fanbase.

Also I can see it work that in handheld you touch screen and docked it uses Gyro

They'll probably have analog controls for Paintbrush on docked mode and it's gonna suck soooo hard. Hell, even no-stylus handheld touch screen mode will be challenging, precision is key in this game and its prequel.

END-OF-CONSOLE-LIFE PORT DUMP SEASON IS IN FULL EFFECT, FOLKS
Either a new Stretchmo or a port would be very much appreciated.
Would be neat holiday game and also as usal Kirby fans are the most well fed Nintendo fanbase.

Also I can see it work that in handheld you touch screen and docked it uses Gyro
They'll probably have analog controls for Paintbrush on docked mode and it's gonna suck soooo hard. Hell, even no-stylus handheld touch screen mode will be challenging, precision is key in this game and its prequel.
It's not the end of a console's life without Kirby.
Trademarking Rainbow Paintbrush at all is weird. I thought they stopped doing pointless bad European Kirby titles?
Just want ya'll to know that games being trademarked doesn't mean an announcement of said games is imminent.

Trademarking Rainbow Paintbrush at all is weird. I thought they stopped doing pointless bad European Kirby titles?
It could be that they're standardising the name in the other direction this time, with all regions getting Rainbow Paintbrush rather than Curse.

Rainbow Paintbrush is Rainbow Curse? I don't think I've played it, at any rate. It's kinda like Canvas Curse, yeah?

I would be hyped for Fullblox. I've wanted the Pushmo/Stretchmo games on Switch for a looooong time, since I never managed to complete those games on 3DS.

I love both of these games so I'd be glad to see sequels, straight ports wouldn't interest me because I have them readily playable. I've been wanting a new Pushmo series game for ages, for sure. Regardless I'd be very glad for folks who didn't get to play these before to get to experience them. I wonder if they'd increase the speed of the game in Rainbow Paintbrush at all. I enjoyed it but it was a bit slow-paced compared to the cadence of Canvas Curse.

Doesn't mean anything really, but saving these games from Wii U/3DS purgatory and giving the Switch something in its dry final year is win-win and it would be silly not to do it.

Doesn't mean anything really, but saving these games from Wii U/3DS purgatory and giving the Switch something in its dry final year is win-win and it would be silly not to do it.
If only a certain HD versions of a Wii U Zelda game would release… oh, well.

I'm pretty sure Another Code got trademarked fairly close to the Direct that announced it... Hmmmm all these trademarks + NWC... Maybe next week?? 👀

I'm curious to see how they're gonna make the controls for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse work on docked mode...

I'm pretty sure Another Code got trademarked fairly close to the Direct that announced it... Hmmmm all these trademarks + NWC... Maybe next week?? 👀

I'm curious to see how they're gonna make the controls for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse work on docked mode...
I could be wrong, but I don't think Another Code was trademarked before hand. It was just rumored.

The Rainbow Curse relied heavily on touch controls, right? Or am I thinking of something else?
Relied heavily? Try more, mandatory.

The game is basically just draw on the screen the game. You'd draw on the Wii U screen to make Kirby even move in this game and there was no way to play without the second Wii U screen.

Just want ya'll to know that games being trademarked doesn't mean an announcement of said games is imminent.
Yeah, you said that already. My question was, why renew the trademark on a presumably abandoned regional title? Weird decision whether they're doing anything with the game right now or not.

But I'm probably just being too optimistic. Europe getting Super Star Ultra instead of Fun Pak Deluxe or whatever didn't kill these off, so why would Return to Dream Land DX do it now? Poor Europeans, I can't imagine what bad Kirby title they'll be subjected to next... 😔

Rainbow Paintbrush is Rainbow Curse? I don't think I've played it, at any rate. It's kinda like Canvas Curse, yeah?
Yes, but instead of being a game about frantically coralling ball Kirby through obstacle courses, it's kind of shifted to having more traditional exploratory platformer level design (think a Good-Feel game or something) but with the Canvas Curse line drawing gameplay as an annoying control gimmick. They made collectables a lot better, but it felt like it was at the cost of missing the point of the original entirely, I found it a lot less fun. Amazing music though.

I wonder if they'd increase the speed of the game in Rainbow Paintbrush at all. I enjoyed it but it was a bit slow-paced compared to the cadence of Canvas Curse.
I wonder how much this would help. I do think the speed was slower iirc, but the levels being much larger and longer and emphasizing physically bringing Kirby into contact with things instead of tapping them is also a big factor in the pacing differences between the two.

Yeah, you said that already. My question was, why renew the trademark on a presumably abandoned regional title? Weird decision whether they're doing anything with the game right now or not.

But I'm probably just being too optimistic. Europe getting Super Star Ultra instead of Fun Pak Deluxe or whatever didn't kill these off, so why would Return to Dream Land DX do it now? Poor Europeans, I can't imagine what bad Kirby title they'll be subjected to next... 😔
Something the article points out is that this is not a renewal and the original trademarks still exist. I find that counterintuitive, and I wonder if we have any other examples of old games getting new duplicate trademark submissions.

Last edited:
Rainbow Curse on Wii U is a game I’ve looked at buying off eBay multiple times over the last few years, just because it’s one of the few first party games on that system I skipped out on despite being interested in. Not sure how it would work on Switch but I’d be down to give it a try, I always loved the visuals and what I’ve heard from the ost is magic.

I got super hyped about Fullblox for a second there but oh hmm, that's just the European name for Stretchmo

I found Pushmo (and Pushmo World) to be much better than Stretchmo personally. And I guess this might be a port instead of a completely new game? Shame

Ah first filled on March 11th, I did remember talking about Rainbow Paintbrush on Twitter recently because of a trademark going in for it

Would be nice to see another game escaping the Wii U prison and hopefully it would be reworked to allow for tv play this time

Fullblox is cool too, love that little series and wouldn't mind seeing that game ported over as well

But yeah, trademarks aren't always an indication something is happening with those games/series but I wouldn't mind if it did in this case

Yes, but instead of being a game about frantically coralling ball Kirby through obstacle courses, it's kind of shifted to having more traditional exploratory platformer level design (think a Good-Feel game or something) but with the Canvas Curse line drawing gameplay as an annoying control gimmick. They made collectables a lot better, but it felt like it was at the cost of missing the point of the original entirely, I found it a lot less fun. Amazing music though.

The remix of moonlight capital in rainbow curse gives me life

Brain Training is on Switch and you could get a stylus with that, at least in Europe
Is it all tap controls? Rainbow curse game would mean drawing lines and stuff. Didn't know switch was made for this.

These new trademark are just for updating all the legal things covered by the identification code (9: videogames).
Last year we had many games like Yoshi Wooly World but also Rusty Baseball and Pokemon Link Battle following the same "renewal" by creating new applications files.
All these games have in common the old covered list, dated 2014/2015 and had their renewal near the end, but Nintendo hadn't renewed the old files but instead applied a new one to update the legal description.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw the Japanese applications a while back, and the timing made it look like renewals to me, but I haven't played these, so I'm down if they're fresh ports

These new trademark are just for updating all the legal things covered by the identification code (9: videogames).
Last year we had many games like Yoshi Wooly World but also Rusty Baseball and Pokemon Link Battle following the same "renewal" by creating new applications files.
All these games have in common the old covered list, dated 2014/2015 and had their renewal near the end, but Nintendo hadn't renewed the old files but instead applied a new one to update the legal description.
Ah, thank you for the explanation! Nothing to see, then.

As far as I am aware, there is a way to search for older trademarks which have been extended to preserve ownership. These trademarks are new, so there is a pretty good chance they're real. You can't file a new trademark without a product attached. You have to use it.

I got super hyped about Fullblox for a second there but oh hmm, that's just the European name for Stretchmo

I found Pushmo (and Pushmo World) to be much better than Stretchmo personally. And I guess this might be a port instead of a completely new game? Shame
Same. What I played of Stretchmo, I enjoyed but not quite as much as Pushmo or Pushmo World. I would welcome a new game in the series though.

A port of Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush would be interesting.

Would Joy-Con based cursor controls be accurate enough to play the game when docked? Probably not, as you can't really add any auto-aim/assist features without sacrificing the precision needed at times (e.g., you want to draw a line starting near Kirby, but instead it locks on to him as the game thinks you're doing a dash attack). I'd wager handheld - with an appropriate stylus - would be good enough, but then you lose the ability to play in co-op, unless the game supported local wi-fi and required multiple consoles & copies of the game. Does seem like one of those Switch ports that is nice to have, but I suspect will have some type of compromise (in my view, I'd take the latter - the co-op was nothing special to begin with).

That said, being able to play (as Kirby) and enjoy the art in HD would be a nice bonus, rather than seeing it on the 480p Wii U GamePad.

Also, for my two cents, I did prefer the slightly slower pace and more traditional level design in Rainbow Paintbrush over Canvas Curse.

I know it's just a trademark thing, but I'd happily buy a Pushmo series collection on Switch. Never played all of them, but the ones I did play were great!
Rainbow Curse getting a port would be nice too, if just for the soundtrack and being able to play the game in a higher resolution in handheld mode.

I still remember how there was a planned Crashmo World for Wii U that ended up getting canceled. While I still like Pushmo the most, I would love another push for that series on a modern system. Please, Intelligent Systems!

Back
Top Bottom