• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Luigi's Mansion 2 HD — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: "A rude awakening" trailer, see threadmarks)

It really bums me out they didn't include the 3DS remake of the first one as part of a grander Luigi's Mansion all on Switch. I love the first one, love the remake (on New 3DS at least), and would have loved to have it on Switch at this level too. I know Nintendo is like completely unwilling to include 2 big remakes in one package, but it would have been really nice to finally get such a good version of 1 off 3DS hardware...

This looks good. I liked Dark Moon a fair amount, but also never finished it. Hoping this comes in at the $50 price point at most though, but fully expecting another $60 title on this one...

I can't believe this game is nearly as old as the original was when it came out...

I'm also surprised they're keeping the online multiplayer. I know this was the game that introduced it, but 3 didn't really do... much with it. The DLC was meh and there was no real sense of progression. I remember liking 2s much more but can't recall enough to say why.

I hope this has some selling point they're yet to show, either a change to the game's structure or additional content.

I was hoping they'd add the slam to this, but I guess that would break the game. The visuals look good, but as far as I can tell not as good as 3, so this is a remaster, and not something in the same scope as SMRPG or TTYD

Watch it be released on June 21st, the day after the summer solstice.

Which means it will still be before the summer solstice happens in some regions (next year's summer solstice is on June 20th at 1:50 pm PDT).

I'm still utterly confused by the lack of the original game being included. Having the trilogy on the Switch would've been amazing...

I'm still utterly confused by the lack of the original game being included. Having the trilogy on the Switch would've been amazing...
We will probably get a release of an HD remaster of the first game during the lead up, just like what they did with Pikmin 1+2 HD. It'd be easy (I imagine) to release an emulated GCN game.

I hope this ends up looking like LM3. If so, honestly I would by it just for that experience. I doubt it but you never know until release.

Considering a remake of the original already exists and is only 5 years old, I doubt this is gonna happen.
Isn't the remake a downgrade on the original version in a lot of ways? Itd probably take less work and Nintendo would see a higher ROI by giving the GCN version the emulated treatment.

Nintendo probably wouldn't get away with charging $60 for each 3DS games remastered and they already set the precedent of remasters costing a certain amount (99% of the time its $60) so the best way to make money from the franchise would be to release LM2 HD as a $60 release and the GCN HD emulated version of Luigis Mansion for $20-$30, can't remember what they charged for Pikmin.

Considering a remake of the original already exists and is only 5 years old, I doubt this is gonna happen.
Eh, they've remade a 3DS game sooner after release than that, look at Miitopia.
I feel like this port may have something under the hood going on to make ports of other 3DS games easier, like a weird partial emulation solution kinda like HAGI (but requiring more tweaking due to the 3DS). Something about the visuals, unimproved cutscene framerate and (modified) bottom screen in the upper right make me think something could be up. If it is, I could see them doing a Switch version of Luigi's Mansion 3DS with all of it's changes.

If not, well, HAGI exists. Widescreen GC Luigi's Mansion with the PAL content worldwide would be pretty cool.

I hope this ends up looking like LM3. If so, honestly I would by it just for that experience. I doubt it but you never know until release.

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD doesn't use the same engine as 3. It's a bit sad but we can see lot of work on the remastering..... Much much better than Pikmin 1+2

A downgrade in what way? Because it's on a handheld and therefore not as powerful?
Yes actually. Digital Foundry did quite in depth comparisons on the concessions the 3DS version had to make, and while I'm in the camp of the 3DS version looking good for the 3DS, I don't think it's a definitive version visually, needs some tweaking to be more on-par with effects done in the GC version.

Gameplay, that's a different story, the Mario Wiki has an extensive list of changes made to the 3DS version. Some good, some eh.
https://www.mariowiki.com/Luigi's_Mansion_(Nintendo_3DS)#List_of_changes_from_the_original_game

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD doesn't use the same engine as 3. It's a bit sad but we can see lot of work on the remastering..... Much much better than Pikmin 1+2
Yeah that’s unfortunate. I’ve played this one on the 3ds. No need to replay. I would buy the first one remastered though.

Yes actually. Digital Foundry did quite in depth comparisons on the concessions the 3DS version had to make, and while I'm in the camp of the 3DS version looking good for the 3DS, I don't think it's a definitive version visually, needs some tweaking to be more on-par with effects done in the GC version.

Gameplay, that's a different story, the Mario Wiki has an extensive list of changes made to the 3DS version. Some good, some eh.
https://www.mariowiki.com/Luigi's_Mansion_(Nintendo_3DS)#List_of_changes_from_the_original_game

I prefer the aesthetics and atmosphere of the original and it’s honestly such a toss up in my mind which they’ll go with for the inevitable Switch release. While I think they’ll probably do a HAGI port of the original, it really could go either way.

Original, please, Nintendo!

a Hagi port of Luigi's Mansion would be:
  • easier to develop
  • more appealing to the nostalgic audience
  • able to be priced lower without devaluing the brand or whatever

definitely thinking it'll happen on a similar timeline to Pikmin. a digital drop about a month before the "new" game, then maybe a budget physical release in October? it'd be cool if they printed them together but I think that's pretty unlikely

It's not really more than a vibe, but I do feel like they'll get Luigi's Mansion 1 on Switch before or alongside Luigi's Mansion 2

Nintendo seems to like being able to say "Look, the whole series is available now on Switch" like they did for Pikmin and 2D Metroid, I feel like the incentive is there to do the same for Luigi's Mansion especially after 3 became a 10+ million seller, and a Hagi port would probably be the "easiest" way to make that happen

It would be nice if the whole series were available on Nintendo Switch. I can imagine a shadowdrop of Luigi's Mansion 1 HD similar to what they did with Pikmin 1+2 or hopefully will for Prime 2+3. They've developed technology to emulate the Gamecube and Wii, as we saw with 3D All Stars, I can see them using that here. This would imply a direct HD smoothing of the original game, so probably a less polished port than LM2. Besides, I hope that if it's Grezzo, it's only a side project for them.

If they were going to launch LM1 3DS they would have announced it alongside 2 HD. I'm 99% sure we're getting LG1 GameCube, which is much, much better than the 3DS port, the atmosphere was downgraded severely in that version.

The GameCube game is absolutely perfect. The best spooky game imo.

If they were going to launch LM1 3DS they would have announced it alongside 2 HD. I'm 99% sure we're getting LG1 GameCube, which is much, much better than the 3DS port, the atmosphere was downgraded severely in that version.

The GameCube game is absolutely perfect. The best spooky game imo.

Luigi's mansion 3DS has numerous graphical improvements, including playing in the expected widescreen, the fully finished second mansion for all regions instead of just Europe, co-op, the ability to refight bosses, the option to play with controls in the style of either the original, or LM2 with a strobulb, as well as the ability to use motion controls if you want, and a bunch of other QOL changes.

The idea that the original version lacking all those is "much better" is just nostalgia; objectively the 3DS version of the game is far better with the exception of perhaps being required to use a 3DS to control it and being relegated to a handheld, neither of which would be relevant at all in a Switch port.

Luigi's mansion 3DS has numerous graphical improvements, including playing in the expected widescreen, the fully finished second mansion for all regions instead of just Europe, co-op, the ability to refight bosses, the option to play with controls in the style of either the original, or LM2 with a strobulb, as well as the ability to use motion controls if you want, and a bunch of other QOL changes.

The idea that the original version lacking all those is "much better" is just nostalgia; objectively the 3DS version of the game is far better with the exception of perhaps being required to use a 3DS to control it and being relegated to a handheld, neither of which would be relevant at all in a Switch port.
No nostalgia here. I have both and played both several times, and the 3DS port lacks the graphical atmosphere of the GC version. So, imo, the GC version is far better as in a game like the first Luigi's Mansion the atmosphere is everything. The 3DS version had some improvements, yeah, but a lot of graphical downgrades, you can see that on the DF video posted above. In other cases, like xenoblade 1, I vastly prefer the remake vs the original even if I have much more nostalgia for the original.

Also, we would be getting wide-screen almost surely with a GC re-release and the boss refights seems irrelevant to me in a 3-4 hour game.

But as always, this is just my opinion and each one will have their own. To me, as with ie ocarina of time 3D or the first Halo remake, having the original atmosphere untouched is way more important than some QoL. With games like Metroid Prime Remastered I have no complaints as they remaked the graphics but the atmosphere and ambiance is perfectly recreated. With games like LM or OoT, if I could choose, I would go without any doubt with the original.

The Pikmin HAGI ports touched the games a bit. Implementing the Strobulb is probably feasible, and motion controls and wide-screen are a given. Multiplayer and boss battles might be out, but they were nothing to write home about. Obviously they would use the European version as a base (as they did with Sunshine in 3D All-Stars).

I replayed Luigi's Mansion on my GC out of spite when the remake was announced for 3DS instead of Switch. I'm sure there are a great number of features that were added to the 3DS version, but nostalgia or not I would rather take the atmosphere of the original game over the happy-go-lucky arcade stylings that the series route has taken.

I can't believe this game is nearly as old as the original was when it came out...

I'm also surprised they're keeping the online multiplayer. I know this was the game that introduced it, but 3 didn't really do... much with it. The DLC was meh and there was no real sense of progression. I remember liking 2s much more but can't recall enough to say why.

I hope this has some selling point they're yet to show, either a change to the game's structure or additional content.
Wait they're doing the online multiplayer on 2 again? Oh boy, I sucked so many hours into that on the 3DS

I struggle to believe they'd re-release Luigi's Mansion 1 any time next year without just announcing it alongside this port, it just seems bizarre not to mention them both in the same breath if that's the plan. I don't think it's a similar situation to Metroid and Pikmin seems like the only real precedence for this sort of thing but it seems different to me because Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is clearly not a big new title that needs some kind of lead-up (tbh though, I still don't quite understand why they dropped those games out of nowhere that close to Pikmin 4's release, so maybe my intuition means nothing).

The assuredness kind of reminds me how sure people were Mario Galaxy 2 or Zelda ports were around the corner any day now, I don't think Nintendo always cares about that kind of "completeness".

Whether it'd be the 3DS or GameCube game is a tough question though, I agree. the 3DS port was just so weird in general. Just enough of an overhaul in ways to appreciate but also not make it perfectly definitive, kind of the worse kind of port.

The 3DS version of Luigi’s Mansion 1 was released in 2018 so it’s not necessarily illogical that Nintendo thinks it’s too early for a new port. On the other side, having the whole series on Switch would make a lot of sense. We’ll see.

What’s interesting is that Luigi’s Mansion 2 wasn’t even supposed to exist in the first place. It was while trying to port the first episode on a portable console to see if it was technically possible that Nintendo wanted to make a sequel.

It would be hard for me to play any Luigi Mansion that isn’t up to 3s standard, honestly. I guess I’ll just wait on 4.

I am really hoping Luigi’s Mansion 1 gets the Pikmin 1 and 2 treatment on Switch. Maybe have it dropped before LM2HD in the supposed April Direct.

Box art for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (japanese version) ?

GIURaqbXwAAesOj

£49.99 here in the UK pretty much confirms I won't be buying at launch unless there's a significant retailer discount. Around the £30 mark I'd have been happy to replay it.

LM2HD is basically the same as Luigui's Mansion: Dark Moon right?

I played that one on 3DS. I loved other LM games, but I wasn't a fan of that one, don't recall why exactly.

I feel like I like LM2 more than most people, but it's coming out on the same week as Monkey Ball. Was already on the fence, but 80 bucks (CAD) for a game I already played in the same week as a new entry of a series I'm far more interested in? Definitely not now.

LM2HD is basically the same as Luigui's Mansion: Dark Moon right?

I played that one on 3DS. I loved other LM games, but I wasn't a fan of that one, don't recall why exactly.
Same game as far as we know so far, yeah. Even if they add something new it should be the same at the core. It was called Luigi's Mansion 2 in some markets at release.

Back
Top Bottom