• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion For those who have played both RPGs, which did you prefer Baldur's Gate 3 or Chrono Trigger?

Which is better?

• Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Chrono Trigger

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

beej

Octorok
Sorry its a bit of a random question- And I know they released about 30 years apart, but if you've played both which did you enjoy more?

you can't really compare the two -- you'd be comparing apples to oranges

baldurs gate 3 is kinda sick tho
well some people like apples and some people like oranges. I mean, its still a fair question

This question isn't exactly fair due to the age difference. Some people will say Chrono Trigger because of nostalgia. Some people will say Baldur's Gate because it's a lot fresher on the mind.

Strange pair of games to pit against one another.

I prefer Baldur's Gate III to Chrono Trigger.

But Baldur's Gate II dwarfs both of them.

This is basically just comparing jRPGs to cRPGs. I'd say I did prefer BG3 more. While I think it's needlessly complex in places due to DND systems in place, I enjoy games that give me more choices and replay value.

A little off-top, but I absolutely hate the term "cRPG". What do you mean a "Computer RPG"? It really should've been backwards, with cRPGs being "console RPGs" since a lot of jRPGs are born out of desire to fit games onto consoles, making simpler playstyles than those seen in early computer RPGs (a lot of which were made in Japan pre-Dragon Quest)

I don't like turn based so the real answer is Secret of Mana, but if you don't like turn based then BG3 drags the experience down a lot more than Chrono Trigger.

I don't love CT as much as I used to, but BG3 was far too long, tedious, and banal to earn my vote here.

I don't care much for either but Chrono Trigger is at least worth playing once. I can't say the same for BG3. I put 50 hours in it, made some progress in the last act before calling it quits for good. I haven't played BG2 yet but I did finish 1 earlier this year and it's much better than 3.

There's literally no point of comparison. They don't have a single element in common.

Might as well compare Street Fighter 6 and Chrono Trigger.
you can't really compare the two -- you'd be comparing apples to oranges

baldurs gate 3 is kinda sick tho
This line of thought comes up a lot in these kinds of threads and I don't get it. You can still say which one you personally preferred

A little off-top, but I absolutely hate the term "cRPG". What do you mean a "Computer RPG"? It really should've been backwards, with cRPGs being "console RPGs" since a lot of jRPGs are born out of desire to fit games onto consoles, making simpler playstyles than those seen in early computer RPGs (a lot of which were made in Japan pre-Dragon Quest)
I think crpg originally meant to distinguish from table top RPGs, not console RPGs.

I wonder if BG3 will have the same lasting impact on the industry as CT has had for the last 30 years.

This is basically just comparing jRPGs to cRPGs. I'd say I did prefer BG3 more. While I think it's needlessly complex in places due to DND systems in place, I enjoy games that give me more choices and replay value.

The original big hallmarks of the genre (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Diablo) were all PC exclusive games at one point in time, and what I'd consider to be modern CRPGs are still more often than not PC exclusive. (Owlcats output is a big example). CRPG makes a lot of sense.

Before those games, you have both Ultima and Heroes of Might & Magic, whose game design influenced both the CRPG genre and are what would eventually syncretize to create the JRPG, since HM&M had a really popular port for Japanese territories (curious fact - the sword Murasama that you see in some games is a reference to this game; it mistranslated Masamune as Murasama, likely an error because of the swordsmith Muramasa, who was known for making demonic blades similar to the reputation of the Masamune) and the creator of... I think it's dragon quest? Played Ultima while on an overseas trip to the US and wanted to make a game with similar ideas.

CRPG and JRPG are pretty much an example of two very different genres ending up with the same name, so C and J were appended to the front of the name to give them the appropriate distinctions. CRPGs were always specifically attempts to translate the D&D experience into a PC game (Fallout is heavily based on and was originally going to use GURPS for example), while JRPGs took the mechanics of the proto-RPGs and made something new out of it without the direct influence of D&D.

(Not that D&D wouldn't work its way into JRPGs from time to time; FF1s monster bestiary is ripped almost straight from I think 1Es monster manual?)

Back
Top Bottom