• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion We need a Mario or Zelda LEGO game.

There are reports that Sony is making a Horizon game with LEGO aesthetics and damn

This is really smart…

Nintendo needs to get in on this and make a Mario or Zelda LEGO game.

They could look really good and make sense to promote the many Nintendo LEGO sets that have been released recently.

I would love that but I have a feeling it will never happen because Nintendo is weirdly strict about this kind of thing.

I'd like that because despite liking Lego games most of them are based on properties I either don't know or care about.

Why? LEGO needs Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't need LEGO. If anything, LEGO should start making its own games for Switch and Switch 2.

Yeah, I thought a LEGO Super Mario videogame felt like a no-brainer ever since the Wii U days(Nintendo having a first party LEGO game with City Undercover, all the collabs that LEGO did back then, etc).

I hope it happens some day but I kinda lose hope that it's happening. Wish any person with contacts could tell us if it was ever in the talks or started development 😭.

I don't know about that. The one original game that they made in the general Lego game style is still a step above the licensed stuff.

The Zelda sets need to be officially revealed before then.
That being said, I wonder what massive game will release to completely overshadow the Lego Horizon game, that series is absolutely cursed for some reason.

I can't think of anything more redundant than licensing Nintendo properties to make mid pseudo-platformers aimed at young kids (this is 99% of the utility of the Lego games), when Nintendo themselves can provide well-made platformers for all ages with their own properties instead.

I can't think of anything more redundant than licensing Nintendo properties to make mid pseudo-platformers aimed at young kids (this is 99% of the utility of the Lego games), when Nintendo themselves can provide well-made platformers for all ages with their own properties instead.

The new LEGO Horizon game just uses the game mechanics from Horizon Forbidden West but with LEGO graphics supposedly.

With Zelda going full open world, it actually wouldn't be too bad of an idea to make smaller scale games this way. I don't think it's really likely though.

There are reports that Sony is making a Horizon game with LEGO aesthetics and damn

This is really smart…

Nintendo needs to get in on this and make a Mario or Zelda LEGO game.

They could look really good and make sense to promote the many Nintendo LEGO sets that have been released recently.
Like the Horizon open world game?
I didn't think Lego would be a good fit, but maybe they have data saying otherwise.

I agree a Mario/Zelda LEGO game would sell in the millions and just need a gentle push by Nintendo.
I think the issue is licensing, Nintendo being overprotective so maybe if those hurdles could be overcome it would happen.

What does Mario or Zelda get out of being a LEGO game?

Appeal for a new audience? LEGO games are oriented towards kids. LEGO Fortnite gets a younger crowd than Fortnite, LEGO 2K Drive gets to be a kid friendly racer, LEGO Horizon can potentially get a new set of players interested in the Horizon brand. But Mario and Zelda are already all ages franchises, massive ones even. The audience between them and LEGO seems self-evident.

Explore new mechanics? LEGO games often incorporate building mechanics into them, that's true. But, uh, Tears of the Kingdom just did that, so not much new ground is covered. And if they wanted building mechanics in a Mario game, no need to tie it to LEGO.

Sell millions of units? I don't think Mario or Zelda needs help with that. Make even a decent game and you have a guaranteed million seller at this point.

Nintendo does not need games to promote their LEGO tie-ins. The LEGO tie-ins promote their games. I wouldn't strictly be opposed to a LEGO Mario/Zelda game, but beyond "Hey, it'd be kinda cool," I don't really see the need for it.

As someone who got into Lego but desperately trying to resist overspending, I think we need more Mario or Zelda game Lego. Or Metroid. Or Animal Crossing. Heck, I'll take a Luminous Sea lego set. Gimme more licensed block building goodness.

As for Nintendo themed Lego games... idk. Maybe someone out there will like it but it won't be for me. Why not just play the original video game? Rather than a game to promote the Lego sets to further promote the game? That's way too many levels of marketing inception.

Horizon is rated T so it's not Sony's most "mature" game, but a LEGO version is kind of clever as it might serve as a potential entry point for some younger players into a series that has already been doing very well (despite it's weird release date track record).

As far as Nintendo, I'm not sure a Mario or Zelda game specifically would feel right. That said, a LEGO Nintendo Land kind of game where you can interact with LEGO versions of NIntendo characters and worlds in one game? That could be really interesting.

I want a LEGO Super Mario just because that means that Traveller's Tales would had the opportunity to work with the IP;

so they can complete the trifecta of Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and Crash Bandicoot.

and also I do love their own flavor of game design that comes all the way back from the licensed Disney games on SNES, to N64 to their LEGO games today

Back
Top Bottom