• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Phrase "Nintendo Gonna Nintendo" Should Be "Square-Enix Gonna Square-Enix"

Christo750

Source of the Right Arm
Pronouns
He/Him/His
I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few months, basically since E3, but especially since Sora got confirmed to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

As wonderful as that presentation was, it was interluded by the strange announcement of mainline Kingdom Hearts games coming to Switch. I originally saw the announcement as Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Prologue, and the cloud version of Kingdom Hearts III. I was VERY disappointed to learn that they'd all be cloud versions. Now, if they work for people, that's wonderful; more power to you. But the fact that they even exist at all as cloud versions on Switch is silly. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And it seems the perception is the same everywhere you go. Kingdom Hearts III Cloud Version I understand, but why aren't the other parts of the collection natively on Switch?

Speculation is that SE decided the benefit wouldn't be worth the cost of porting those versions to Switch, and that the cloud version can run off of a PC and be ported to the system much more easily. But every post I've read on every forum, every tweet I've seen about it, and everyone I've talked to who would otherwise be interested, say the same thing: they were in, saw it was the cloud version, then they were out. It's not like the demand isn't there; people have been clamoring for Kingdom Hearts to come to Switch since 2017. Hell, I'M so desperate for KH on Switch that it's likely I bite the bullet on 1.5+2.5 anyway because I desperately want to replay those games and I'll hope for the best. But it truly makes no sense and it's my opinion that those being cloud versions was actually incredibly counter-intuitive; cheaping out on the project will have the adverse affect.

And it's not even just Kingdom Hearts! Between that, Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters being what they are (with that awful font) only on Steam and Mobile and not on console, the entirety of Strangers In Paradise, there truly appears to be no rhyme or reason as to *why* they do anything they do.

Oh but don't worry, they're open to porting to console! If...

Native PS2 Kingdom Hearts ports to a popular console? Nope.
A sequel (NEO: TWEWY, which I admittedly love to pieces) to a niche DS game that never had a huge following to begin with? Here ya go!
Final Fantasy VI, one of the most beloved SNES games, ported to Switch? We'll see if enough people want it.
Huh? A JRPG where everything is cards for some reason? We thought you'd never ask!

Square Enix gonna Square Enix.

The amount of good will square has despite weird decisions & a pretty long string of bad to just okay games up until pretty recent will always amaze me

Unfortunately, Squenix learned the lesson a decade ago that they march to the beat of their own drum, can charge $20 for a quick port on iOS, and make truckloads of cash. They have been cashing in on those decisions ever since.

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few months, basically since E3, but especially since Sora got confirmed to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

As wonderful as that presentation was, it was interluded by the strange announcement of mainline Kingdom Hearts games coming to Switch. I originally saw the announcement as Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Prologue, and the cloud version of Kingdom Hearts III. I was VERY disappointed to learn that they'd all be cloud versions. Now, if they work for people, that's wonderful; more power to you. But the fact that they even exist at all as cloud versions on Switch is silly. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And it seems the perception is the same everywhere you go. Kingdom Hearts III Cloud Version I understand, but why aren't the other parts of the collection natively on Switch?

Speculation is that SE decided the benefit wouldn't be worth the cost of porting those versions to Switch, and that the cloud version can run off of a PC and be ported to the system much more easily. But every post I've read on every forum, every tweet I've seen about it, and everyone I've talked to who would otherwise be interested, say the same thing: they were in, saw it was the cloud version, then they were out. It's not like the demand isn't there; people have been clamoring for Kingdom Hearts to come to Switch since 2017. Hell, I'M so desperate for KH on Switch that it's likely I bite the bullet on 1.5+2.5 anyway because I desperately want to replay those games and I'll hope for the best. But it truly makes no sense and it's my opinion that those being cloud versions was actually incredibly counter-intuitive; cheaping out on the project will have the adverse affect.

And it's not even just Kingdom Hearts! Between that, Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters being what they are (with that awful font) only on Steam and Mobile and not on console, the entirety of Strangers In Paradise, there truly appears to be no rhyme or reason as to *why* they do anything they do.

Oh but don't worry, they're open to porting to console! If...

Native PS2 Kingdom Hearts ports to a popular console? Nope.
A sequel (NEO: TWEWY, which I admittedly love to pieces) to a niche DS game that never had a huge following to begin with? Here ya go!
Final Fantasy VI, one of the most beloved SNES games, ported to Switch? We'll see if enough people want it.
Huh? A JRPG where everything is cards for some reason? We thought you'd never ask!

Square Enix gonna Square Enix.

I agree, I feel they would have absolutely broken even or covered the cost that the work would take in porting the 1.5 and 2.5 collections to cart or even as an eshop download. The pixel remaster situation is baffling as well, maybe there was a reason they didn't but I would argue that the reason is not good enough.

They ported Star Ocean 1 remaster to Switch but the rest of the series are nowhere to be seen. PS4 got all but the second game an PS3 only got remaster of the 2nd one. Shit don't make no sense.

Gotta admire Yoshi-P preventing SE from ruining FFXIV (again)

This is a very corny meme in general, it’s a perfect shortcut for people to say when a company does anything remotely questionable

I’m very thankful that NEO TWEWY even exists though. Hopefully Square-Enix wakes up once the KH cloud versions end up being totally unplayable for most people and you get gigantic meltdowns out of this since KH on Switch has much more demand than Hitman or whatever

Anyway Atlus is much worse than both

Maybe it's a conspiracy theory, but the pixel remaster decision seems like it was made to encourage double-dipping. Every ps4 and switch owner has a pc or a phone that can run those games, and those people are going to buy the collection again when it comes to their platform of choice.

I used to love Square, Final Fantasy was easily my favorite series, I bought consoles for Square games.
Then I started to hate Square, I didn't like the direction they took FF in, in addition to several bizarre behaviors and decisions like the ones described in the op, and generally being one of the worst publishers when it comes to moneyhatting.
Nowadays I love Square again, mostly because of playing the Mana and SaGa games, out-of-nowhere pleasant surprises like Actraiser, Octopath Traveller... Looking forward to that Chrono Cross remaster looming on the horizon too.

The trick is to completely ignore their flagship franchises. It worked for me at least.

Maybe it's a conspiracy theory, but the pixel remaster decision seems like it was made to encourage double-dipping. Every ps4 and switch owner has a pc or a phone that can run those games, and those people are going to buy the collection again when it comes to their platform of choice.
I wouldn't say that is much of a conspiracy theory, as it has basically been SE's MO this gen. They first release the game digitally and some months later announce a physical version in some specific region. Though this time they may want triple dippers :v, mobile first, then digital collection, and finally a limited physical collection.

They will probably do the same for KH. They release them first as cloud versions, and once the 20th anniversary is reaching it's end, a limited 20th anniversary physical release of KH 1.5 + 2.5 and KH 2.8 for Switch will be announced. A release that will also probably end up an NA exclusive or something similar.

It's absurd that they didn't have someone working on KH1.5+2.5 ports to switch ages ago, regardless of Sora getting in to smash. The audience for it there must surely be huge compared to the audience for it on Xbox...

Square Enix has always been very weird in terms of their decisions. Sometimes things turn out great (NieR, FF XIV), sometimes they need a little push (DQ coming back to the West, Bravely getting localized) sometimes their decision-making is just batshit insane (The Quiet Man and Left Alive and the weird-ass gatekeepery shit with Pixel Remaster (or, as a personal nuisance, not using the Wonderswan/DS remakes as a basis for the SaGa trilogy but going for the OG GB version instead)).

Their support for Nintendo systems has been steadily getting better and while the Switch isn't at the level of the SNES or the DS, it's still solid. And I think they've finally managed to move on from that nasty spot they've been at during the 2010s, so... Please do not try something like Fabula Nova Crystallis again ever...

I’m looking forward to both Dungeon Encounters, and Voice of Cards. I know Dungeon Encounters may not be the most impressive looking game, but the little I have seen of the gameplay definitely has me wanting to see more.

I’m looking forward to both Dungeon Encounters, and Voice of Cards. I know Dungeon Encounters may not be the most impressive looking game, but the little I have seen of the gameplay definitely has me wanting to see more.

What Dungeon Encounters lacks in visual pizazz, it makes up for in depth of gameplay and gameplay design - at least I hope!

What Dungeon Encounters lacks in visual pizazz, it makes up for in depth of gameplay and gameplay design - at least I hope!
Just a couple more days and we’ll find out! I can’t wait to read more about it, and with that nice discount I can see myself impulse buying it.

Square Enix could make the internet explode and double their software sales by just releasing Lufia II on modern hardware or doing an HD-2D style faithful remake.
But that game is trapped on SNES since 1995. Can you imagine? The best SNES RPG was not ported once!

Square Enix gonna Square Enix!

Your holding company ownes Taito! Just strong-arm them!

Exaggarating was used for dramatic effect

I give them nothing at this point..

The games they make tend to be repulsive for me, aside from midtiers like Octopath and TriStrats.
The niche they occupied in the late 90s/early 00s hasn't been filled yet though, which is the biggest problem.

The boneheadedly arbitrary spread of titles means I won't bother trying to fill gaps of past experiences

The Kingdom Hearts situation is frustrating, but even more baffling to me is that there are no Tomb Raider games of any kind on Switch, not even on Cloud, unless I'm totally over-looking them.(plz tell me I am, I'd love to pick them up)

Still, I'm too hyped for Chocobo GP and Dragon Quest III HD2D to be too mad at 'em.

For me, the lesson here was to just buy a PC. I'm not interested in begging every publisher to continually port old games to whatever new console I'm playing on, let alone paying for them. I'll just pay for the game once and play it for decades on my PC. Though as I understand it, this is mostly a Nintendo issue right now. Xbox seems to have pretty extensive backwards compatibility and Sony's is more limited but still there.

Square Enix - as I routinely tell my friend - act like a "broke-ass bitch". They will hardly do a thing unless someone else pays for it.

While I absolutely agree that Square does a lot of stupid stuff and gets away with it, I have to ask... Are you by any chance from Europe and have even the fleetest of interest in Atlus games, because... Boy, do I have a contender for you!

They ported Star Ocean 1 remaster to Switch but the rest of the series are nowhere to be seen. PS4 got all but the second game an PS3 only got remaster of the 2nd one. Shit don't make no sense.

Actually, PlayStation 4 DID get the second game, but it's still currently Japanese only. Was ported to Vita and PS4:

No idea why it hasn't shown up outside of Asia yet...

Actually, they DID get the second game, but it's still currently Japanese only. Was ported to Vita and PS4:
That's what I said:

Switch only got the remaster of the first one.
PS4 got all of them.
Vita and PS3 only got the second one, but it didn't get localized.

Kinda sounds like SE cares about PS4 more than anything.

There's a native port of The Last Remnant on Switch but SquareEnix couldn't be bothered to port KH 1.5 and 2.5 natively to Switch even as a digital download. They've arguably had 3 years to get it done if we're being generous, and assuming that maybe they wanted to see how the Switch fared in 2017. Take a moment to let that sink in.

That's what I said:

Switch only got the remaster of the first one.
PS4 got all of them.
Vita and PS3 only got the second one, but it didn't get localized.

Kinda sounds like SE cares about PS4 more than anything.

OH! I misread what you said. I thought you meant with how you wrote it, PS4 got all but the second game. Apologies.

Square Enix ain't even the worst on the "Please beg us to port this game over" front, ain't that Koei Tecmo?

EDIT: jk definitely meant Bandai Namco

Last edited:
Are you confusing them with Bandai Namco, perhaps?
Yeah, Namco and Capcom did that a lot but Capcom had redeemed themselves with this years releases.

Sega straight up deny the "demands" of the fans are having.

But worst publisher has got to be Warner Bros. According to MK developer Ed Boon, WB execs have absolutely no knowledge about Nintendo, they thought Nintendo is just maker of toddler's game machines. Boon said they shocked when he showed them SNES and Game Boy entries of Mortal Kombat.

Quoted by: Yzz
Yeah, Namco and Capcom did that a lot but Capcom had redeemed themselves with this years releases.

Sega straight up deny the "demands" of the fans are having.

But worst publisher has got to be Warner Bros. According to MK developer Ed Boon, WB execs have absolutely no knowledge about Nintendo, they thought Nintendo is just maker of toddler's game machines. Boon said they shocked when he showed them SNES and Game Boy entries of Mortal Kombat.
Was this recent? because if it is, well that explains a lot about the industry lol

Was this recent? because if it is, well that explains a lot about the industry lol
WB part? It's from an Ed Boon AMA on reddit around the time of MK11's release. And yes it does say a lot about publisher's attitude towards Nintendo.

I’m gonna be angry about this Kingdom Hearts thing for a long time. Square should have had these ports in the works years ago.

I was actually looking into playing KH for the first time because it sounds like exactly the right kind of entertaining batshit + flashy gameplay for me, but there’s no way in hell I’m buying cloud versions. Especially not when I can buy a bundle of like 10 KH games (and some extra movies) for like $40 on another system.

Even though I probably would have bitten if they even ported the 1+5 and 2+5 or whatever parts of the collection to Switch natively for up to $40 just for portability. Even if they were digital only.

I understand there’s lots of things that go into these decisions, like opportunity costs, porting costs, *cough*giganticprofitmargins*cough* (capitalism gonna capitalism), but all I see is that they want to charge me money for something that can be taken down at any time and that I have no control over and that will eat up my bandwidth cap like crazy. Which, well, lol no, sorry, SE.

So instead of buying into the series, I’m not even going to bother buying the cheaper bundle on PS4 or wherever. Because I don’t get much TV gaming time anymore and I’d never finish them, and also because I don’t want to reward their business decisions.

I don’t know how much stock to put into NintendoLife polls, but this shows that out of 8,000 votes, nearly 70% would have preferred actual ports or have no interest at all, and “no interest at all” is leading the poll at 46%. So I can only assume KH will continue to avoid Nintendo platforms as SE concludes that “there’s no interest in the series” on here, despite a long history of Nintendo handheld entries going back to the GBA.

Back
Top Bottom