• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Officially-Unofficial Famiboards Collector’s Thread

switchum

Providing Fami with bad takes a-plenty since 2022!
Pronouns
he/him
Welcome to the officially-unofficial thread for video game collectors on Famiboards!

Do you have a big collection that you’re oh-so-proud of? Or maybe you’re just starting out on your collecting journey? This is the place to post pictures of your recent finds, favourite pieces, personal memorabilia, or anything else that you consider part of your collection!

But first, some Not-So-Frequently Asked Questions:

What things are eligible to be posted in the thread?

I’m so glad you asked! Anything gaming related is welcome here: games (retro, modern, or anything in between), consoles, figures, strategy guides, collector’s boxes, merchandise, that Metroid Prime cardboard cutout that used to be in GameStops across the nation — the options are limitless! There are no restrictions on what games you can post memorabilia from (so long as it doesn’t contradict site rules), so share your stuff from any console generation or manufacturer. If it’s part of your collection, we want to see it!

Should I post my whole collection, or just a couple things?

Listen — you’re overthinking this. Share whatever images or text you want, whether it includes your entire collection in one picture, or just your latest or greatest pickup. You can also return to this thread whenever you get new stuff that you feel like sharing, so even if you’ve posted before, feel free to keep us updated with new posts!

I’m really proud of my collection. Can I brag about it here?

Duh. This is the place for you. It’s good to take pride in your collection, and this is your place to show it off!

I don’t have enough stuff to consider it a “collection.” What if I only have a few things? Or, what if I just collect modern games?

Listen to you, being a dumb-dumb. If you’ve got even ONE video game, guess what?: that’s your collection, and it’s totally welcome here. This is a gatekeeping-free thread, so if it’s something you want to share, it’s definitely worth sharing here… even if it’s your only item!

Why am I still reading this FAQ?

I’m not sure myself! Go get your camera ready and get posting!

I’ll start us off with a pickup I got yesterday! I finally got Kirby Air Ride complete in box, which I’ve been hoping to get for a while.

Got these both day 1 as a kid not knowing they would sell like absolute garbage and become rare games. I hope they get rereleased.
PXL_20240505_041332310.jpg

PXL_20240505_041345358.jpg

PXL_20240505_041521004.jpg
PXL_20240505_041531858.jpg

Got these both day 1 as a kid not knowing they would sell like absolute garbage and become rare games. I hope they get rereleased.
PXL_20240505_041332310.jpg

PXL_20240505_041345358.jpg

PXL_20240505_041521004.jpg
PXL_20240505_041531858.jpg
Sigh…I had the second game and probably traded it in to GS for like $20.

My parter and I have a 100% complete amiibo collection, of which I have photos in the amiibo ST:

Don’t really care to collect much else, but amiibo are serious business for us, lol.

Great idea for a thread! I have a decent sized Metroid collection I'm pretty happy with, including a few rare items. I keep meaning to take pics of everything...
Sigh…I had the second game and probably traded it in to GS for like $20.
I sold Kuon (FromSoftware PS2 survival horror game) for like $60 or something, back around 2017. A complete copy now sells for upwards of $900. My decision to sell still haunts me from time to time, and I wonder if anyone else in this thread will be able to top an L that major.

I don't have a huge DS/3DS collection but I have a pretty decent number of RPGs boxed physical (and a few others, too):

QEu5nYv.jpeg

And probably my favorite thing (mostly from nostalgia of getting it for my birthday in 1998, but still)!

bdNgPxc.jpeg

I've trimmed down my collection - I decided to only keep what I really liked.

I did however at a time have a 99% Complete Bergsala NES collection, my only miss was a SCN branded Pro Am 2. I did have a NTSC version instead, but it bothered me a bit that I never got to own it while collecting =)

After that I was gunning towards a complete NES NTSC/PAL/Unlicensed cartridge library but I topped out at around 700 games before I decided to fold - some of the games had spiked so incredibly high in prices so I decided it wasn worth it.

Great idea for a thread! I have a decent sized Metroid collection I'm pretty happy with, including a few rare items. I keep meaning to take pics of everything...

I sold Kuon (FromSoftware PS2 survival horror game) for like $60 or something, back around 2017. A complete copy now sells for upwards of $900. My decision to sell still haunts me from time to time, and I wonder if anyone else in this thread will be able to top an L that major.

Sadly, being a long time collector I could top that L multiple times over. I've just decided to stop thinking about that, otherwise I would go around and be pissy about it all the time. As long as one get close to or above market value at the time of selling it.. I take that.

Here's a few noticable ones though:

Complete in Box Mr Gimmick - selling it for ~500$, a complete version can go upwards 4000$ on the nordic market
Complete in Box Little Samson - I cant even remember what I sold it for but it was less than mr Gimmick, and these days the game is insanely expensive and sells for several thousands. Luckily I still have a cartridge though.

I've had a couple of Mr Gimmick cartridges over the years, I regret not keeping one of them.. it's a nice piece and a very good game to.

Oh boy. A thread to flex my irresponsible hoarding instinct.
I used to collect anime figurines but the market rate for those have shot up a little too high for my liking.
I used to collect physical manga. But in the end, I don't have enough time to read them all (digital manga is faster to read)

Now, I have a collection of physical Switch games. I foresee that to significantly slow down as releases get less frequent. I try to only purchase games that I can see myself eventually playing. AND I try to buy them on the second-hand market to keep expenses manageable.

I've also started a small collection of construction brick toys. Mostly Lego but I don't shy away from cheaper alternative brands. Sticking to just gaming related themes for this. Also trying to acquire them at below-market rate on the secondhand market. Thank goodness there isn't THAT much gaming related sets out there. I look forward (and fear) the day that some brand releases Monster Hunter brick toys.

ee5135f888983dde1c469c291d27633aefa8f85e.jpg

Neither are Lego

Other than those, I keep plenty of pop-culture knickknacks of stuff I have accumulated over my lifetime. Slime speaker, Kirby plushie, Sinistea tea cup, old Transformers, art prints... I intend to get a good display cupboard to showcase everything one day. Maximalism ftw.

I went to a store yesterday and got a copy of Pokémon gold. Turns out they were doing a store wide sale and I got it for fifteen dollars off

I’m really determined to get all the main Pokémon games, I got blue and ruby last month

I went to a store yesterday and got a copy of Pokémon gold. Turns out they were doing a store wide sale and I got it for fifteen dollars off

I’m really determined to get all the main Pokémon games, I got blue and ruby last month
It’d be great to have a complete set. I need to get a GBA SP, then I’ll make it a goal to get every one (catch ‘em all?)

I think I should look into my Resident Evil collection.

I own multiple versions of several RE games. I have like five versions of RE: the original on PlayStation, the Japanese version of the original on PlayStation, the DS version, REmake on GC and REmake remastered on Switch…

These past 2 months I think I bought around a 100 games. I've never done this before in such a small period. Just got lucky with all the sales from different stores like JB, EB, Gamesmen, Amazon etc.

I'd love to show them all but they're shelved 😅

I was looking for a thread here before to show them off but couldn't find. They're mostly PS5 and Xbox games though. So most of you wouldn't be interested since I gather you're mostly Switch gamers.

These past 2 months I think I bought around a 100 games. I've never done this before in such a small period. Just got lucky with all the sales from different stores like JB, EB, Gamesmen, Amazon etc.

I'd love to show them all but they're shelved 😅

I was looking for a thread here before to show them off but couldn't find. They're mostly PS5 and Xbox games though. So most of you wouldn't be interested since I gather you're mostly Switch gamers.
Anything and everything is welcome here, so please feel free to share!

It’d be great to have a complete set. I need to get a GBA SP, then I’ll make it a goal to get every one (catch ‘em all?)
I got a purple gba last month with Pokémon ruby at a store, I got Pokémon blue later in the month.

Finding Chrono Trigger for ds sparked a new interest in collecting

Just caved in and got Dragon Quest XI S Switch for $60. Literally the only NA, non-Middle East version I could find.

Just caved in and got Dragon Quest XI S Switch for $60. Literally the only NA, non-Middle East version I could find.
Not gonna lie, I don't understand the "middle east version" concern considering it adds a triangle and 3 squares at the back (not saying this is your case of course). I got into a discussion with some people over a collection group saying they should ban people that sell these versions as original NA copies and I'm lke "you do realize Nintendo sell these games officially outside ME right?" Like right now here retail stores with official NIntendo products sell ME copies of Mario 3D world, metroid dread and some older games like Oddysey becase that's what Nintendo is sending them

Not gonna lie, I don't understand the "middle east version" concern considering it adds a triangle and 3 squares at the back (not saying this is your case of course). I got into a discussion with some people over a collection group saying they should ban people that sell these versions as original NA copies and I'm lke "you do realize Nintendo sell these games officially outside ME right?" Like right now here retail stores with official NIntendo products sell ME copies of Mario 3D world, metroid dread and some older games like Oddysey becase that's what Nintendo is sending them
They definitely have lower print quality than the "true" NA ones. The only Middle East game I've personally owned was Skyward Sword on the Wii, and it lacked the reflectiveness the gold on the box art is supposed to have. It was just totally opaque.

Ever since I've just avoided them.

They definitely have lower print quality than the "true" NA ones. The only Middle East game I've personally owned was Skyward Sword on the Wii, and it lacked the reflectiveness the gold on the box art is supposed to have. It was just totally opaque.

Ever since I've just avoided them.
That makes sense, can speak of the wii ones, but at least I haven't noticed this with switch cases

Here's a few of my latest:

PXL-20240507-042227934.jpg

The 3 PS5 games just arrived an hour ago.

Edit: I just realised I have more Switch games than I remember.. 😅

Last edited:
I need to take pics of my collection sometime.

I should be over 200 Physical Switch games now, at least. Need to count XD
I COULD buy a whole lot more physical games, but I am a sucker for Collector's Editions and other big box variants. And they be costly.

The latest Sakurai video is just another massive flex of his collection. Sure seems like a waste not to display all those game cases with gorgeous artworks though.

I never thought of putting the switch dock horizontally. Now I'm getting ideas on how to reorganize my tv space

My little Xeno collection of games:

Xeno-Collection.jpg

Also have the soundtrack of X, an English version of Perfected Works and all four artbooks of the Xenoblade series both from the CE and the separately sold artbooks.
It's not much, but it's what I love to have!

Back
Back
Top Bottom