• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Started playing the Pixel Remasters and is there no way of disabling the minimap? There’s already a lot of stuff I dislike about these rereleases, but I could get around those. The minimap actually hurts my play experience.

Started playing the Pixel Remasters and is there no way of disabling the minimap? There’s already a lot of stuff I dislike about these rereleases, but I could get around those. The minimap actually hurts my play experience.
I'm pretty sure you can only toggle it f for the screen you're on, whereupon it'll come back as soon as you go to another room.

SMT V Vengeance was frustrating to see announced because I still had SMT V in my backlog, and of course Atlus would screw over people who already owned the game on Switch. I went back and forth on if it was even worth playing anymore when the obviously definitive version is releasing soon, but I don't want to feel like I wasted money figured I may as well just play the one I already own. If I like it enough to even want to play the new route (big if with SMT for me), I'll just get Vengeance when it's on sale.

I'm currently in the third major area, and generally having a good time with it so far. Exploration is an improvement over the other SMT games I've played (IV/IV:A) with the world design feeling somewhat similar to Xenoblade, but not quite as good as that series. I feel like it's generally on par with IV:A in terms of gameplay with some things feeling better while others feel worse (Magatsuhi feels a little gimmicky in a way that makes bosses predictable so far). I'm obviously switching out and fusing demons as necessary, but Nahobino (magic build)/Idun/Alice/Muu Shuwuu is my current main party.

I also bought Trails in the Sky the 3rd in a recent sale to play afterwards. It's been almost two full years since I played the first two (both of which I still count among my favorite games), so this is long overdue.

Ugh... I really want to post here more but haven't found the desire to in recent months. Really gotta change that. I played both Trails to Azure and FF7 (the original) recently and had a couple of comments I could have thrown out there but now with that much distance I can scarcely muster up the will to do so :/

Ugh... I really want to post here more but haven't found the desire to in recent months. Really gotta change that. I played both Trails to Azure and FF7 (the original) recently and had a couple of comments I could have thrown out there but now with that much distance I can scarcely muster up the will to do so :/
Never too late to throw out some thoughts on games :)

Finished up Fire Emblem TMS. Enjoyed that! A nice 34 hours, finished at just the right point for me, having told the (wafer thin) story in a fun, rounded way and without expanding the game for the sake of it. The dungeons and battles were fun, and there were constantly new skills to toy with.

I think you kinda have to buy into the entertainment industry thing though. I spent most of the game going ‘is making this song/tv show really that important compared to all the cosmic horror going on’, but the characters all play it so straight that it’s vitally important and a life-affirming thing to them that eventually they carried me along with them.

Final boss was brutal though. Almost a bit of a tonal mismatch but I guess if I were wondering where the actual SMT was in this game, it was that :)

Last edited:
Been a while since I've played a game outside of the "endless genre" (as MissingNo puts it in his thread) on a daily basis, but so far this run of FE: Engage has me doing just that.
In the past, I've actually stopped because I look ahead to upcoming chapters and go "I dunno how I'm going to beat that" then just stop playing without even attempting said chapters, but this time around I'm going for it, and usually winning (with a few unit losses here and there [and I'm playing on casual]) with somewhat of a challenge. Just beat chapter 19. I try to do at least one chapter a day.

EDIT: Oh, I just wanted to add this in before I forget; Anna is a crit machine.

SMT V Vengeance was frustrating to see announced because I still had SMT V in my backlog, and of course Atlus would screw over people who already owned the game on Switch. I went back and forth on if it was even worth playing anymore when the obviously definitive version is releasing soon, but I don't want to feel like I wasted money figured I may as well just play the one I already own. If I like it enough to even want to play the new route (big if with SMT for me), I'll just get Vengeance when it's on sale.

I'm currently in the third major area, and generally having a good time with it so far. Exploration is an improvement over the other SMT games I've played (IV/IV:A) with the world design feeling somewhat similar to Xenoblade, but not quite as good as that series. I feel like it's generally on par with IV:A in terms of gameplay with some things feeling better while others feel worse (Magatsuhi feels a little gimmicky in a way that makes bosses predictable so far). I'm obviously switching out and fusing demons as necessary, but Nahobino (magic build)/Idun/Alice/Muu Shuwuu is my current main party.

I also bought Trails in the Sky the 3rd in a recent sale to play afterwards. It's been almost two full years since I played the first two (both of which I still count among my favorite games), so this is long overdue.
The game released on the Switch two years ago and if it didn't sell great at the time there's no way we would be getting SMTVV today. While I'm a little disappointed Atlus didn't bother releasing the additional content as paid DLC I wouldn't say they're screwing over owners of the original game. In my eyes screwing over OG SMTV owners would be releasing SMTVV on everything but the Switch.
Finished up Fire Emblem TMS. Enjoyed that! A nice 34 hours, finished at just the right point for me, having told the (wafer thin) story in a fun, rounded way and without expanding the game for the sake of it. The dungeons and battles were fun, and there were constantly new skills to toy with.

I think you kinda have to buy into the entertainment industry thing though. I spent most of the game going ‘is making this song/tv show really that important compared to all the cosmic horror going on’, but the characters all play it so straight that it’s vitally important to them that eventually they carried me along with them.

Final boss was brutal though. Almost a bit of a tonal mismatch but I guess if I were wondering where the actual SMT was in this game, it was that :)
TMS is a gem of a game and even though chances are slim to none that we'll see a sequel I'm glad we at least got this updated port. It was fun reading your impressions as you played.

This is why I didn't buy SMTV until it was like $25, and I won't buy the rerelease until it's heavily discounted as well.

Been playing Super Mario RPG Master Quest and it's a dream come true.

SMRPG's only real flaw has been its total lack of diffculty and MQ jacks the enemy stats up so you can't steamroll through the whole game anymore. It's not a Hardtype hack by any means and is still perfectly breezy, it's just got some teeth to it now.

Highly recommended to anyone who wants a tougher experience.

Just to confirm (or possibly debunk) something; in Engage, the skills you get for levelling up your bond with an emblem ring, you don't automatically get those on your character unless they are an emblem skill or you inherit them, yes? So, for instance, a skill that grants +10 hit with swords has to be inherited?

Baten Kaitos hit 40% off but I can wait. I need to finish at least one game in the hack GU collection first. Heck finishing Hackers memories would be good too

Ever since I beat Mario & Luigi Paper Jam a few weeks ago, I wanted to put together a thread ranking all of the Mario RPGs. Since we are a week out from The Thousand Year Door Remake releasing, I thought now would be a fun time to put it out! I wrote up some short thoughts on all 13 games :)

In the time since this post I've gotten a Steam Deck and have once again begun an attempt at the Neptunia series.

There's my save file from 2017 where I abandoned the game...

JgFzBKE.jpeg

I started a new game though. I think I'm enjoying this quite a bit more than back then. One problem was probably that I was still pretty new to JRPGs at the time (could probably weigh my JRPG experience since then in the weight of a planet), so I don't think this was a good fit for "that" me 😅

Now, even though I'm way more accustomed to this, I do think the battles aren't very satisfying, but they are over pretty quick. Pretty much, it's just a game where you want to see the next scene rather than want to "play" it, so we'll see if I make it through.

bGQGlqf.jpeg

Another thing making this way more digestible now is that I now actually understand the game industry jokes lol. I don't think I even knew what Falcom was when I tried this in 2017, or at least only heard the name in slight passing.

Having it on Steam Deck is helping too, it's great to just pull it out and play away at a JRPG for a little bit then back to sleep mode. I would probably never commit to this game at my desktop.
DH9lm2L.jpeg

Well, I 100% completed the game now, with around 43 hours played... Which means, yeah, I like this!

The first thing I want to say is: I really do love how much of a celebration of various JP devs this game is!

9JoXiKl.jpeg

As I said before, I don't think I knew much about these companies (besides CC2 and Tekken cuz they're pretty major) when I first tried playing this, so coming back with a whole different perspective really helped.

I also think the gameplay does get a nice little slightly addictive feel going for it once you're closer to the end. Still not a fan of forced grinding to beat the main story though, but at least it's pretty simple and fast grinding. The dungeons are also clearly "secondary" to the game, because of there only being like 10 real layouts that just get reused many times. I think there should have been an upgrade to add Turbo Mode or to let you move really fast through the dungeons. I mean, why even remotely pretend they are interesting to explore? Thankfully, none of them are big at all however.

I think the story and humor kinda fizzle out closer to the end, I do get the impression that this is one of the "driest" games in the series though. That said this game did make me laugh out loud (for real) quite a few times. It's hilarious when it wants to be!

So as a game, it's nothing really special. I also attribute to having a Steam Deck now for being a factor in me enjoying it more. But there is a very fun world going on here and overall, I honestly think I am now a fan of Nep-Nep!

qvX5qwO.gif

Last edited:
finally getting into my first Etrian Odyssey. i initially tried the series like a decade ago with EO4 on 3DS, but i went in with the wrong expectations. im usually a story and characters guy so the lack of unique playable characters put me off big time and it seemed too overwhelming overall to really get a handle on.

now trying EO3 cause of the collection, and man ive been sleeping on some brilliant games. once you go in with the right mindset of 'this is just gonna be a good dungeon-crawling time' it is damn fun. so much customizability in units and builds, mapping is so fun, the difficulty is brutal but very enjoyable. as an SMT fan i am eating GOOD right here.

im officially a fan. can't wait to try the rest.

finally getting into my first Etrian Odyssey. i initially tried the series like a decade ago with EO4 on 3DS, but i went in with the wrong expectations. im usually a story and characters guy so the lack of unique playable characters put me off big time and it seemed too overwhelming overall to really get a handle on.

now trying EO3 cause of the collection, and man ive been sleeping on some brilliant games. once you go in with the right mindset of 'this is just gonna be a good dungeon-crawling time' it is damn fun. so much customizability in units and builds, mapping is so fun, the difficulty is brutal but very enjoyable. as an SMT fan i am eating GOOD right here.

im officially a fan. can't wait to try the rest.
EO3 is sooo good! It’s the best one, the class and subclass balance, the sailing puzzle you unpack over time etc

Back
Top Bottom