• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Endless Ocean Luminous |ST| Event Dive #1 on 5/10–5/13 — Dive Festival: Song of the Sea Dragons

I tag shit all the time how come these randoms don't use the tag feature. wasted 3 dives because I couldn't find the UML. shoutout to the one JP player who got roped into my dive this morning and tagged the giant seahorse 🙏

I've read this a couple times but don't really follow what this is. Is this Nintendo asking for fans to participate in a hashtag campaign and telling them streamers will be playing? Do players get anything out of this besides the opportunity to play with streamers and potentially a more active player pool?

Quoted by: Tye
I've read this a couple times but don't really follow what this is. Is this Nintendo asking for fans to participate in a hashtag campaign and telling them streamers will be playing? Do players get anything out of this besides the opportunity to play with streamers and potentially a more active player pool?
I think it’s literally just that, a period where select streamers will be streaming the game online, and people are encouraged to play along with them during that time and use the hashtag if you’re posting about it or sharing photos or videos of your gameplay. I guess there’s a chance you could appear in someone’s stream? lol

Played a cool map in a group dive with a big fresh water fish section in the middle so figured I’d share the code.

0000 3215 0336 9635

Think I’m fully good now. I got the last big thing I wanted which was an arctic dive where I saw some Belugas. I did get the Narwhal mystery board pretty easily here since it is right next to the iceberg so I’ll share my code.

0050 0990 4369 3904

Cool experience overall. Group dives were definitely pretty fun as you help people get the rare fish and then head off where you want to go. An hour is the perfect length for it too.

Also for anyone trying to complete the mystery board to complete the story all I can say is 🫡

Was able to finish the board and actually made the leaderboard for some rankings!

Still have some fish, photos and treasure I want to get but who knows when those will be done

Aside from fundamentally changing how scanning works (I can guess why it is the way it is, but darn at least just put everything new / unusual on top of every list especially since stuff doesn’t count if you don’t look at it. Scanning interrupts the flow of the game / experience so much), I think the biggest thing I’d like them to add if possible are options to have everything revealed from the start with no UML objective and potentially also no dinosaur fish. Just the chillest vibes only mode. (You can still scan stuff, new and old, in this hypothetical mode) For a game about hanging out with fish and learning fish facts, it can be very not chill at all with the way it is set up in either group or solo dives. I think as I’m stepping away from the game, I think that’s my big takeaway. This was such a cool and odd experience at once haha.

Also, I didn’t get all of them, but my favorite UML had to be the extra big bird lol. The way it enters for the first time with all of the little birds diving in one by one was just so goofy too!

(I can guess why it is the way it is, but darn at least just put everything new / unusual on top of every list especially since stuff doesn’t count if you don’t look at it. Scanning interrupts the flow of the game / experience so much)
For what it’s worth, I’ve found that species you haven’t scanned yet, small or large sized creatures, creatures with strange biometric signs, and UML—all of which would be the only main things you would really want to make sure you’ve scanned for the most part, anyway—seem to almost always be listed immediately after the first creature in the list of scanned marine life, so you should generally only need to scroll down once (plus however many additional new species, large/small creatures, or creatures with strange biometric signs you’ve scanned in the same batch, which should also be listed right after the first) for those scans to be counted. Once I realized that, I stopped worrying about scrolling through the entire list every time I scanned stuff, which made things a lot more relaxed.

What I’m not 100% certain on, though, is to what extent things don’t “count” as scanned unless you actually scroll over them in the list. That does seem to be the case for registering new species and new size records, plus finding creatures with strange biometric signs and UML…but you definitely still obtain the light from everything you scan regardless of whether you scroll through them on the list or not. I’m actually not even sure if new species and size records really aren’t counted unless you view them after scanning, or if it does count but the game just doesn’t reveal it to you on screen (but it would be reflected in your log after the dive). Haven’t actually tested that yet myself to confirm, or whether creatures that you scan but don’t view in the list are counted towards your total of creatures scanned or not, so I’m not sure.

For what it’s worth, I’ve found that species you haven’t scanned yet, small or large sized creatures, creatures with strange biometric signs, and UML—all of which would be the only main things you would really want to make sure you’ve scanned for the most part, anyway—seem to almost always be listed immediately after the first creature in the list of scanned marine life, so you should generally only need to scroll down once (plus however many additional new species, large/small creatures, or creatures with strange biometric signs you’ve scanned in the same batch, which should also be listed right after the first) for those scans to be counted. Once I realized that, I stopped worrying about scrolling through the entire list every time I scanned stuff, which made things a lot more relaxed.

What I’m not 100% certain on, though, is to what extent things don’t “count” as scanned unless you actually scroll over them in the list. That does seem to be the case for registering new species and new size records, plus finding creatures with strange biometric signs and UML…but you definitely still obtain the light from everything you scan regardless of whether you scroll through them on the list or not. I’m actually not even sure if new species and size records really aren’t counted unless you view them after scanning, or if it does count but the game just doesn’t reveal it to you on screen (but it would be reflected in your log after the dive). Haven’t actually tested that yet myself to confirm, or whether creatures that you scan but don’t view in the list are counted towards your total of creatures scanned or not, so I’m not sure.
There’s some really weird quirks regarding scanning and yeah sometimes the new stuff is floated to the second place in the list downwards, which is convenient, but then other times there’s a stray one or two further down the list, and yeah even if it secretly records something I genuinely do not trust the game unless I see the message. The deeper you get into the game obviously this becomes less of a problem unless you really want the medals for the extra small and large fish lists. But darn, the way it works where you swim up to a big cluster of fish and then just rapidly scroll through them as the screen rapidly flashes between different fish with different locations and angles just gets to me after a while. Obviously the different modes we do have with the different contexts all play into how affecting it is, but yeah it’s such a core strange decision they made here.

Lol, started a single-player dive and it took a bafflingly long time for me to figure out how to get to the larger portion of the map because the spawn starting point was so deep down that I thought I was in a cavern, but no, the entire center of the map is just the deepest that the maps can get.

Was finally able to pick up my pre-order for this game late last week, but I was pretty busy over the weekend so I’m diving in for the first time tonight! Finished the basic tutorial (1-1 thru 1-5) and my first impression of the game is… wow I do not care for this text-to-speech voice on the AI. Is there an option to turn off the audio playback when you scan things during dives? I love learning about the fish but I find the robo-talk very offputting :/

(edit: duh, you can just lower the voice settings to 0; not the most elegant solution but I don’t think there’s any actual voice acting in the game so I’m not missing much)

On a bright note, I started my first solo dive and the very first creatures I encountered were two very extinct weirdos! I had no idea what a Koolasuchus was before five minutes ago but now I adore them.

Last edited:

The #ComeDiveWithUs thing starts in less than an hour from now! This might be an ideal time to get into larger sessions with 30 players, and it could be a great opportunity to get and share tags, too!

The #ComeDiveWithUs thing starts in less than an hour from now! This might be an ideal time to get into larger sessions with 30 players, and it could be a great opportunity to get and share tags, too!

I actually did end up getting a good amount of new tags from playing during this yesterday! Had one session that had probably at least 15 or so players in it, too!

Also, what I’ve started doing for tags is, once the UML appears, find a school of fish near the UML and put a bunch of different tags on them; sometimes other players will understand and start sharing their own tags on that some school of fish or another one nearby! Additionally, I’ll do the same with the first school of fish that I find upon starting a shared dive and have the school follow me, so that when I meet up with the first few players they’ll immediately see a bunch of tags on that school of fish.

Sadly I missed the event, but yeah, basically the first objective of every dive should be sharing tags, and schools of fish are excellent for that.
During the first week I played a lot and even managed to get in the top 100 of the last dive period. Now I'm doing less dives but I'd still love to complete the mystery board. I'm at 96 now and it shouldn't be too hard I hope. Getting every tag and creature, on the other hand, is way more complicated than I expected. XD

Back
Top Bottom