• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Endless Ocean Luminous |ST| Event Dive #1 on 5/10–5/13 — Dive Festival: Song of the Sea Dragons

Tye

All-around Nintendo enjoyer
Pronouns
they/them
Endless Ocean Luminous

Announcement Trailer

Sounds of the Sea

Overview Trailer

Launch Trailer

Explore a mysterious underwater world​

8d307b05ffe078550f1a9b9a7177bf0e517acb0e3c6d7ed7fbe98fd8eeeebb21

Dive in and chill out​

Take a deep breath and plunge into the Veiled Sea: an unexplored region with discoveries that change with each dive.​

Discover the unknown​

Scan sea creatures and learn about over 500 species of marine life—some of which are presumed extinct, or even mythical.​
c0d6cc1eb79ae30f97a02de6cc3b6aecf6efab78fabfbe07e8ca186c7c44a36c
cd63addec722cd666727c9adee16fdfd8391fe216c74745f803d540696856b31

Hang out and explore together​

Swim together in groups of up to 30 with a Nintendo Switch Online membership. Greet your fellow divers with a friendly gesture and then delve into the depths to share discoveries.

Free 7-day trial of Nintendo Switch Online included!
This game comes with a free 7-day trial for Nintendo Switch Online so you can try out all the online features.​

Customize your look​

Unlock customization options and fun gestures to personalize your underwater self.​
Section_4_PMP-Assets_Customization.jpg

Discover your own style​

In Endless Ocean Luminous, you can find a way to play that fits your style. Have a leisurely swim in the sea or meticulously catalog every creature you see—it’s all up to you!​
Switch_EOL_PMP-Assets_SCRN_01

Shared Expeditions​

Share your Session ID to invite friends on a group swim (up to 30 total). If the session has fewer than 30 people, you may also be joined by up to 10 random divers from around the world (no Session ID required).
You may end up with a mix of both friends and strangers on your dive for a total of up to 30 players on the map as you explore and make discoveries together.​

Solo Expeditions​

Discover sea life on your own.​
Switch_EOL_PMP-Assets_SCRN_02
Switch_EOL_PMP-Assets_SCRN_03

Research Expeditions​

Help save the World Coral in this single-player story mode.​

Mystery Board​

Uncover buried treasures, strange creatures, and more.​
Switch_EOL_PMP-Assets_SCRN_04
Switch_EOL_PMP_EventDives_02

Event Dives​

Take part in community events with players from around the world.​

background-1
background-2
background-3
background-4
background-5
background-7
about_fish_shachi.webp
background-6
product_illust01.webp

Last edited:
Seems cool but I'm bummed out about the mixed reception it's gotten. Procedural generation seems like it's controversial.

Quoted by: Tye
Great ST!

I am getting this day one still. The mixed reception is kind of what I expected. I don't know if it will live up to Blue World in terms of narrative or structure, but I think the discovery aspect will be just as strong, with all the new creatures to find.

The procedural generation was something I felt mixed on at reveal, and I'm still not sure about it. I think depending on how much variety there is, it might be fun.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Enjoy all! I won't be getting mine for a while so I won't post impressions for another month or so.

Seems cool but I'm bummed out about the mixed reception it's gotten. Procedural generation seems like it's controversial.
This is the type of game (like the original Endless Ocean games on Wii as well) that was always going to get mixed reception no matter what, unfortunately, and on top of that I don’t believe most reviewers truly got to spend enough time with the game’s primary mode—Online Dive—if they even got to experience it at all, so I wouldn’t worry too much about all the negative reviews. It’s not like there aren’t some good reviews, too, after all—here’s a great review from someone who did get to play online and seems to have a better understand of the game after 20 hours of playing it and loving it!
Overall, I loved my time with Endless Ocean Luminous and it’s certainly one of the most unique Nintendo Switch exclusives out there. It’s a fantastic, no-stress experience that I often found to be just the tonic I needed after a day at the desk. If you have a love of sea life and a thirst for engaging exploration, Endless Ocean Luminous is extremely easy to recommend.

Last edited:
Presumed mythical creatures you say?
Looks like I'm hunting for the Loch Ness Monster again

So there's a launch event which lasts two weeks.

IMG_3872.jpg
Did you get an early copy, or does this screenshot come from someone else?
EDIT: Never mind, I forgot the game is already out in some regions, lol.

are we going to do online dives on famiboards?
I don’t plan on hosting anything like that myself as part of this thread, but ya’ll are more than welcome to arrange something like that here if you want!

Endless Ocean is apparently a big enough deal to Nintendo to get its own icon elements! Everybody 1-2-Switch! and Another Code were robbed!!

Endless Ocean is apparently a big enough deal to Nintendo to get its own icon elements! Everybody 1-2-Switch! and Another Code were robbed!!

These are kinda heat....

I know I made some statement saying this game’s genre should be listed as Fish Looker but I’ve changed my mind. As it simulates the act of deep sea swimming, I believe this game is a

Swimulation Game

damn I can't even find a copy near me

seems like american retailers are only carrying it at a few locations

Yeah the only store around me that seems to have it is a single Best Buy like an hour away? And they have 2 copies.

I've got this downloaded and I've played the first couple of story missions.

They don't look amazing. I'm off on a solo dive now!

One thing to note so far : there doesn't seem to beans gyro action.

AMA

Just back from a one hour group dive and I’m confused as it doesn’t really explain things very well (am I supposed to play the available story missions first?)

What are the giant square icons that pop up? Treasure that others have found? Why are some moving?

The scanning feature is frustrating me, I can’t tell what I’ve already scanned, which means I have to either scan everything every time, or just learn what I’ve got already. Is there an upgrade that will help me with this?

Just booted it up, and I definitely expected more customisation options beyond just colour schemes, emotes, and stickers. Unless I'm missing it, the lack of a body-type option is particularly strange. That should be the most basic of options before anything else, really.

Last edited:
Beautiful ST! The reviews may have put this game on the shallow end, but I’m still pretty excited to dive in. Not expecting to be absolutely blown away, I’ll just be happy to have a game to chill out with and look at some fish. :)

…unfortunately, I’ve it preordered for in-store pickup at Best Buy since earlier this week, but I got an email just saying it’s not ready for pickup yet, and no ETA for when it will be :( I actually have a rare day off of work today, so I thought everything was lining up perfectly, but alas.

Welp my copy got delayed, not an issue since it will help me to clear my backlog this weekend

But by the time it expires the tetris wont have started !
Ah, yeah, that’s true if you’re getting the game at launch and use the NSO trial right away…

Yeah the only store around me that seems to have it is a single Best Buy like an hour away? And they have 2 copies.
…unfortunately, I’ve it preordered for in-store pickup at Best Buy since earlier this week, but I got an email just saying it’s not ready for pickup yet, and no ETA for when it will be :( I actually have a rare day off of work today, so I thought everything was lining up perfectly, but alas.
Welp my copy got delayed, not an issue since it will help me to clear my backlog this weekend
Damn, that sucks that ya’ll are having trouble getting your copies at launch, I’m sorry! I hope I don’t have issues picking up my copy from Best Buy today, too… I preordered the game as soon as it was available on Best Buy’s website, and my order says it’s ready for pickup today once the store opens, so hopefully that means I’m in the clear…

But yeah, for less popular physical game releases like this that may have more limited prints, it’s always good to preorder as soon as possible if you’re interested in securing a physical copy at launch. And honestly you may as well do this for any game you want to get, ’cause there’s literally no downside to preordering for store pickup, since the worst case scenario is that you just don’t pick it up and they cancel your order—you don’t have to commit to actually buying the game! Better safe than sorry, or so I’ve learned the hard way when it comes to this kind of stuff…

Of course, if this is just some shipping delay on Best Buy or Nintendo’s end, there’s not really any precautions that could be taken for that, I guess… =/ Well, I’ll find out in a couple hours how widespread this delay is, I suppose! Has anyone else already managed to get a physical copy from Best Buy?

Just back from a one hour group dive and I’m confused as it doesn’t really explain things very well (am I supposed to play the available story missions first?)
I haven’t been able to play the game myself yet, but from what I understand, yes, you should play the first few story missions first because those serve as a tutorial.

Has anyone else already managed to get a physical copy from Best Buy?
I got a notification it shipped yesterday afternoon, got a notification it was delivered a little while ago. I’m at work so I can’t verify, but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Done a few solo dives. I enjoyed myself, but at the same time I totally get what made the reviewers turn off this.

I think there's a difference between relaxing and aimless.

On the two dives I've been on so far, there's A LOT of fish, you're scanning stuff every few seconds. And it feels somehow a little unrewarding. I've seen an Orca already.

And it's hard to get a sense of place. I really would have much preferred them to lean into the diver aspect of it. Make it so you're travelling the world on a boat. Visiting different dive sites, unlocking new gear to dive in different conditions (but also with an open mode for those who want that).

I also want to work to identify the fish. Maybe make me take a picture in order to identify it or something.

Add drift diving and currents.

True facts : Subnautica got me into Scuba in the first place. Falling in love with that game made me do a PADI try dive.

I dunno. I'm kinda LOVING this, but also imagining what it COULD be, and that hindering my enjoyment. It feels like a game afraid to fully embrace the reality and neediness of its concept. I don't need mythical creatures. Just give me the feel of being on a dive.

Yeah, my copy's delayed too. Dammit, Best Buy. I assume it's just that maybe they didn't have a copy nearby or something, since I know for other Best Buy orders they came from the local store rather than being shipped from somewhere else.

Done a few solo dives. I enjoyed myself, but at the same time I totally get what made the reviewers turn off this.

I think there's a difference between relaxing and aimless.

On the two dives I've been on so far, there's A LOT of fish, you're scanning stuff every few seconds. And it feels somehow a little unrewarding. I've seen an Orca already.

And it's hard to get a sense of place. I really would have much preferred them to lean into the diver aspect of it. Make it so you're travelling the world on a boat. Visiting different dive sites, unlocking new gear to dive in different conditions (but also with an open mode for those who want that).

I also want to work to identify the fish. Maybe make me take a picture in order to identify it or something.

Add drift diving and currents.

True facts : Subnautica got me into Scuba in the first place. Falling in love with that game made me do a PADI try dive.

I dunno. I'm kinda LOVING this, but also imagining what it COULD be, and that hindering my enjoyment. It feels like a game afraid to fully embrace the reality and neediness of its concept. I don't need mythical creatures. Just give me the feel of being on a dive.

Though it doesn't have everything you mentioned, it sounds like you'd enjoy Blue World. That was the big hope that this was a successor to, but it seems more like its own thing instead. Hopefully this does well enough for them to justify a sequel so we can maybe get a follow-up to Luminous that gets closer to, or ideally exceeds, those expectations.

Well, I’m all digital on Switch and my SO is usually all physical, but she’s decided to just get Endless Ocean digitally instead of wait/hunt down a physical copy.

Just picked up my physical copy from Best Buy with no problems, phew!

Also, here’s the launch trailer:

Last edited:
This is very much Endless Ocean Online.

Like sure you can play this solo and slowly uncover every little bit of each map and scour around for the spawn conditions of the UMLs and eventually unlock everything. Or you can join an online lobby and have a lot of those things done in like 1/100th the time.

I did one solo offline dive and a quick online dive right after and the difference was night and day.

^
Not the brightest idea to make your pretty niche franchise online-dependent, when lobbies will inevitable start getting less and less populated after only a few weeks.

picked up my copy during my work break

won't be able to play online until next week I think. I got a stupid work schedule

Like sure you can play this solo and slowly uncover every little bit of each map and scour around for the spawn conditions of the UMLs and eventually unlock everything. Or you can join an online lobby and have a lot of those things done in like 1/100th the time.

I did one solo offline dive and a quick online dive right after and the difference was night and day.
Yeah, I haven’t played online yet myself (I’m waiting to play with my partner later today), but it seems abundantly clear that if you’re not playing this game online, you’re just not going to get the full, true experience. Not that I think that’s a bad thing; it’s just what the game was designed around—and I can understand why, because Endless Ocean probably has broader appeal as a social experience like this than as a single-player experience, so designing the game around that first and foremost makes a lot of sense.

^
Not the brightest idea to make your pretty niche franchise online-dependent, when lobbies will inevitable start getting less and less populated after only a few weeks.
We’ll see, but I think there’ll be enough dedicated players who’ll stick around that it shouldn’t be too difficult to connect with at least a few players at most times. You don’t need a full team of 30 players, after all. And while I’ve not played online yet myself, from what I understand joining other players online is kind of seamless and anyone can join in on your session even if you don’t start at the same time, I believe? So the game does a good job at funneling any active players online at the same time together, which will hopefully make it easy to connect with players even when there are very few people online.

Last edited:
Never played the others, but I’m eager to give this a try later today. My copy arrived in the mail earlier.

What exactly does scanning entail? Is it looking at something and holding a button? (EDIT: Watching a video, it looks like it's getting close to a fish and then holding L. It looks like you can also bulk scan schools of fish, but I have a feeling that counts as 1.) Also, is the only reward for scanning getting info about the species with the first scan and making progress towards the story mode scanning goals with all scans?

When I play games, I almost always play solo and I definitely always avoid playing with random people. This is discouraging if I were going to consider getting this game down the road for a solo experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom