• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews EDGE Magazine #398 review scores - Animal Well, Lorelei and the Laser Eyes, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Endless Ocean Luminous, and more

mazi

picross pundit
gri6gk1.jpeg

Reviews:
Animal Well - 9
Lorelei and the Laser Eyes - 9
Stellar Blade - 6
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - 7
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU - 7
Crow Country - 8
Sand Land - 5
Endless Ocean Luminous - 6
INDIKA - 7

Cover - Hades II
Hype - Where Winds Meet, The Rogue Prince of Persia, Blue Prince, The Crush House, Roman Sands RE:Build, South Scrimshaw
Hype Roundup - Promise Mascot Agency, Europa, Antonblast, Schim, SteamWorld Heist II
Studio Profile - Splash Damage
The Making of - Spelunky 2
Time Extend - Fallout 4
The Long Game - Noita

Last edited:
My friend in Minoh played Sand Land, and when I asked him how it was he said it was a game that little kids would like.

Looking forward to Hades II though.

People should really play Animal Well. Glad to see Lorelei and the Laser Eyes also has a high score. I'm tempted to check it out, but I've got Crow Country to also play soon. Just an influx of good indies.

I tried the Sand Land demo, and it was... not good, and it looks like the full game apparently isn't either. Shame.

People should really play Animal Well. Glad to see Lorelei and the Laser Eyes also has a high score. I'm tempted to check it out, but I've got Crow Country to also play soon. Just an influx of good indies.
I think Animal Well, and Lorelei, will do well in sales.

I know that is what I am waiting for.

Oh wow, go indies!

Both Animal Well and Lorelei are in my wishlist already, glad they're getting great reviews.

I really, really, really did not get Sayonara Wild Hearts. There was enough there that I'm curious about Lorelei, though. Good for them!

And Animal Well! Not since Celeste have I played an indie game that I would so quickly recommend to any Switch owner.

Cover story and two 9s in Edge. Indies rule the world.

Looking forward to getting Animal Well and Lorelei at some point.

an Edge 9 is exciting. i might need to get over my biases and get on Animal Well

im just not good with metroidvanias where you can get lost/stuck for long periods of time, as ive heard is a thing in this. i end up dropping them early a lot of the time. don't know if i'll have the same experience here

Edge is always the most accurate when it comes to reviews. I trust them over just about any other publication.
Animal Well is great. Takes a minute to get going, but once it has you, you will  obsess over it. I got the Platinum in three days after only playing for an hour on the first day. I uh, played more the next two days.

Animal Well
When the credits roll for the first time, you’ll already be acutely aware that there are layers of this world that you have yet to peel back. Dive back in and you’ll find new discoveries that reconfigure both your view of the world and the way you probe its remaining crannies and unearth at least some of those lingering secrets. Eschewing conventional game-design wisdom, it withholds some of its best tricks for what you might have assumed was the post-game mop-up, which you sense is where Animal Well truly begins. An unlikely nod to an arcade classic; a discovery of an egg with a very different function from the rest; a face-off with an opponent that, when tamed, has surprising practical worth – the rabbit hole deepens even after you’ve hit the bottom. If we’ve a complaint, it’s that some of these later tools have more limited and specific purpose, lacking the multi-functionality of the earlier toys.

Then again, perhaps we’ve simply not discovered what else they can do. Even as we begin to unpick what we can only assume is Animal Well’s final layer – when it comes to one visible secret, we know the what but not the how – there are parts of this world that will, perhaps forever, remain something of an enigma. The fascination of those lingering unknowns is part of whyBasso’s remarkable indie debut takes up residence in your brain when you’re not playing it. But on a more fundamental level, it is simply a beautifully constructed, wonderfully characterful adventure, one that marks the blossoming of a major talent.

Lorelei and the Laser Eyes
For all its cinematic aspirations and borrowings, though, it’s clear the Swedish studio’s heart firmly belongs to video games. As such, Lorelei’s bravura endgame sequence is fully interactive, combining a final- chapter test that simultaneously riffs on the likes of Professor Layton and Hotel Dusk’s interstitial quizzes and the credits of classic 16bit adventures such as A Link To The Past, a whistle-stop tour reminding you just how far you’ve come. And then suddenly, just as Simogo returns to where it all started, the wild heart to which it had seemingly bid sayonara replaces the brain as the most vital organ – and a game that had hitherto studiously avoided sentiment tiptoes toward the tear ducts. Here, our minds return to the point at which we entered the story, clutching an invitation from our mysterious host and recalling his bold claim that “this project is my magnum opus”. Truth recovered.

if anyone's interested in any of the other reviews i can post some blurbs from them as well.

an Edge 9 is exciting. i might need to get over my biases and get on Animal Well

im just not good with metroidvanias where you can get lost/stuck for long periods of time, as ive heard is a thing in this. i end up dropping them early a lot of the time. don't know if i'll have the same experience here
I don't think you'll enjoy Animal Well. If you don't like getting stuck it's not gonna be a fun time. It's more like Baba is You or the Witness than Hollow Knight. Unless you're fine looking things up when you're stuck in which case it'll be a good time.

Animal Well looks like it's amazing but I'm incredibly dumb at puzzle games and I hate the way they make me feel when I'm stuck so, urgh...

I bought Animal Well on Steam so that will probably be up next. Great to see it review so well.

I don't think you'll enjoy Animal Well. If you don't like getting stuck it's not gonna be a fun time. It's more like Baba is You or the Witness than Hollow Knight. Unless you're fine looking things up when you're stuck in which case it'll be a good time.

im actually a fan of Baba is You and didn't mind how long the puzzles took at times cause i just knew i needed to think more creatively with the limited options available

it's just with certain metroidvanias there's times you might not even know if you're in the right room or if you even have the right ability to solve the room you're in.

that inbetween feeling of "i don't know if i should be here right now or if im just struggling with the puzzle i have the ability for" makes the whole process really tough.

the way i can sort of enjoy these types of games is with a hint guide that lets you know "this is the direction your thinking should go next" without spoiling solutions, though i don't know if guides like that exist for this yet.

Eiyuden got a pretty decent (and accurate imo) score all things considered.

Absolutely insane month for indie games, god bless

Back
Top Bottom