• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

Of all the things I expected to be discussed in a Donkey Kong video, torture carried out by the Bush administration in the Iraq War ranked low on the list

It's vindicating that the Vicarious Visions' cancelled DK game being proven true is now generally accepted. People reached out to me to give the details on this project about a year or so ago and I'm very appreciative of that, and although I believed it to be true, when I heard it leaked that it was VV I knew it had to be true because that's exactly what I heard too including the details of it being a 3D open world game, Pauline playable and the banana shoes.

The weird part about people denying it's existence to me, is what's the alternative? Nintendo planned on DK getting his own theme park land and being a part of the Mario movie around 2015 so I just find it impossible to believe that there was literally no plan for any kind of DK game in development post TF. It's still asinine that nothing has bore fruit since those plans. Regardless, I still have to give an F to their treatment of DK on Switch. It's an absolute travesty that their most successful console of all time is absent of a unique DK game. If they make some kind of remaster before the end of the Switch's lifetime such as Returns HD or a DK64 remaster to hype up the park, I'll forgive Nintendo, but as it stands right now, they gotta do more with the IP than continue to let it languish. All I'm asking for is a remaster. They can save the EPD game for Switch 2. I don't think that's too much of a request

With the confirmation of a Direct in June, that would be a good time to announce a DKCR remaster for the fall and then announce EPD's Donkey Kong game alongside the Switch 2. I think it's safe to assume that the new game is being saved for the new hardware, but you never know!

Echoing @KremlingKuthroat's thoughts, I'm always going to be annoyed that Nintendo's most successful console of all-time missed out on having an original DK game. I would be content with a new Konga at this point.

It's not completely original, but we just got a new Donkey Kong game earlier this year and it already sold a million copies. It's also much more obviously related to Donkey Kong's role in the Super Mario Bros. Movie which is likely the reason Donkey Kong is getting an area of the theme park in the first place.

We know Switch 2 is 2025 and we know there is at least one major Switch 1 game left in 2024 (Metroid Prime 4). There have been rumors of a first party original Donkey Kong game for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if it also releases in the second half of this year around Prime 4. With any luck it's more styled after the Country subseries as well since we already got a proper Donkey Kong game this year.

At the end of the day I think we should just count our blessings Vicarious Visions didn't get the chance to re-define what a 3D Donkey Kong game looks like.

If anything, Donkey Kong Adventure on Kingdom Battle is a far more "proper" unique DK experience on Switch than settling with the MvDK remake.

And even then...

At this point releasing a new DK game at the tail end of the Switch's lifespan is not a good business decision, especially since they just announced a new console. They'd be much better off releasing it on new hardware so it can have legs and be an evergreen title. It'd be dumb to do the same for Metroid Prime 4. Both of these titles must be financially successful for the future of their franchises to prosper. They're better off saving both for the next console and releasing DKCR and/or DK64 Remastered and MP2/3 remastered on the original Switch.

At this point releasing a new DK game at the tail end of the Switch's lifespan is not a good business decision, especially since they just announced a new console. They'd be much better off releasing it on new hardware so it can have legs and be an evergreen title. It'd be dumb to do the same for Metroid Prime 4. Both of these titles must be financially successful for the future of their franchises to prosper. They're better off saving both for the next console and releasing DKCR and/or DK64 Remastered and MP2/3 remastered on the original Switch.
Disagree. Especially on Prime 4, which I don't see any scenario on where it skips the current Switch, as it was already promised for it and Metroid will benefit of a bigger userbase from the get-go.

It's not like the Switch will halt its sales immediately after the successor hits the market and neither will Nintendo cease manufacturing like they did with the Wii U when the Switch launched. The current Switch still has a couple of years of steam and I don't think the new system will be adopted as quick by everyone like that.

And besides, with backwards compatibility, it's not like people jumping to Switch 2 will be missing out on Switch 1 exclusives. Maybe there will be performance boost for certain games, so there's that advantage.

-- with that said, I feel this June is the last, last, last opportunity for something like DK showing up. After that, every Switch 1 exclusive will be of smaller scope.

If DK launches the first year of the switch 2 it will be subsumed beneath the great launch titles like 3D Mario

If it launches as the sole major release of fall 2024 it will be the main focus and will have legs especially for those people who will not buy a switch 2 the first few years

Releasing BotW at the end of the WiiU's lifespan didn't stop it from having legs and being an evergreen title.

Releasing BotW at the end of the WiiU's lifespan didn't stop it from having legs and being an evergreen title.
If it's a crossgen title that released on both platforms that changes things. Probably should've clarified that. Plus that's kind of standard operating procedure for Zelda going back to Twilight Princess. Nintendo is big on making sure they fulfill their promises so MP4 on Switch is more likely because of that. Forgot to consider that. I disagree that DK being on the Switch versus the successor would be better for the franchise's sales. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope was disappointing sales wise and it would've fared a lot better being on the Switch 2. I guess we're debating semantics anyways. It might not even matter. You may be able to digitally or physically purchase the entire Switch library and play them on the Switch 2 regardless.

BTW I've been burned FAR too many times. I have no expectation whatsoever for DK EPD at the June Direct. I've been hoping to see DK show up in a meaningful way since 2020. I do actually expect DKCR HD coming to hype the theme park. I think that'll be one of the last Switch first party games.

If it's a crossgen title that released on both platforms that changes things. Probably should've clarified that. Plus that's kind of standard operating procedure for Zelda going back to Twilight Princess. Nintendo is big on making sure they fulfill their promises so MP4 on Switch is more likely because of that. Forgot to consider that. I disagree that DK being on the Switch versus the successor would be better for the franchise's sales. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope was disappointing sales wise and it would've fared a lot better being on the Switch 2. I guess we're debating semantics anyways. It might not even matter. You may be able to digitally or physically purchase the entire Switch library and play them on the Switch 2 regardless.

BTW I've been burned FAR too many times. I have no expectation whatsoever for DK EPD at the June Direct. I've been hoping to see DK show up in a meaningful way since 2020. I do actually expect DKCR HD coming to hype the theme park. I think that'll be one of the last Switch first party games.
I'm hoping like crazy that 2witch is backwards compatible and shares the eShop (or at least its games even if the interface is different), which'd make Prime 4 and a potential Switch DK effectively 2witch games as far as them having legs. Being able to benefit from the install base of the Switch and the longevity of being playable on 2witch would be the best of both worlds imo.

Plus my eShop wishlist and my backlog really want this thing to be able to play the Switch's library 😅

It's not completely original, but we just got a new Donkey Kong game earlier this year and it already sold a million copies.
It's not new but newly released on the Switch I guess you could say. Mario vs DK is essentially a Mario game. I haven't bought the switch version but I had the GBA one as a kid. Their isn't much Jungle Beat or Country inspired things in the game. I loosely remember klaptraps appearing but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
It's not new but newly released on the Switch I guess you could say. Mario vs DK is essentially a Mario game. I haven't bought the switch version but I had the GBA one as a kid. Their isn't much Jungle Beat or Country inspired things in the game. I loosely remember klaptraps appearing but I could be wrong.
Right. It's not styled after the Country subseries, but seeing as it is a spiritual sequel to Donkey Kong (1994) I would consider it part of the proper "Donkey Kong" series. Jungle Beat is a different subseries I'd say.

If Vicarious Visions project had Pauline it might have been Donkey Kong as well, which maybe it's best it was canceled if that was the case.

I still find it absolutely bizarre there's a full-on Donkey Kong Country amusement park before any other non-Mario Nintendo franchise and yet still no new mainline DK game to show for it besides a port of DKCTF 6 years ago. If the rumored DK spin-off film happens it'll be even more bizarre. Honestly even K. Rool in Smash feels bizarre now with it acting both like he was still a big Nintendo villain mainstay AND that DK was a healthy series regularly getting new entries. At least Banjo sort of had the vibe that he was 'back' after a huge hiatus.

It's like if SEGA suddenly ramped up a ton of huge budget entertainment projects for NiGHTS but had zero intention of actually making new games for it.

I don't think its odd DK would get a park position before other franchises. He was Nintendo's first break out hit, he's a very well known character even among non-gamers and he's still related to Mario, featuring in most spinoffs. And he fits very naturally in to any park plans. He's a kind of a no-brainer priority inclusion regardless of game output.

Its still sad Nintendo hasn't managed to get an entirely new DK platforming game out on switch though. Funky mode is hard carrying the franchise.

Surprised we didn't get a DK arcade or Gameboy 99 or 35 or whatever for NSO too.

As I pointed on the old DK Vine's forum (the archive doesn't seem to be working anymore), foliage was one of the many things that were toned down in N. Sane Trilogy prior release due to fan feedback
I'm very out of the loop but why was foliage toned down? Because of graphics issues like slowing down hardware or because it was visual clutter? The original looks prettier to me but I can see it being overbearing especially on the stone ruins.

I still believe DK will be for Switch 1. It will be their holiday game, and the theme park audience will not buy a $400 console at launch.

But since everything will be BC, the lines between the "Switch 1" and "Switch 2" games will be blurred.

IMG-9592.jpg

so close yet so far…

I still believe DK will be for Switch 1. It will be their holiday game, and the theme park audience will not buy a $400 console at launch.

But since everything will be BC, the lines between the "Switch 1" and "Switch 2" games will be blurred.
I could see this happening, and I very much agree with the last part.

IMG-9592.jpg

so close yet so far…
Gahdamn that'd make a great reaction image.

Or Fami icon.

SYpwIFm.jpeg

I'm very out of the loop but why was foliage toned down? Because of graphics issues like slowing down hardware or because it was visual clutter? The original looks prettier to me but I can see it being overbearing especially on the stone ruins.
Mostly visibility and readability, yeah; The initial B-Roll footage and pre-release screenshots for N. Sane Trilogy had way too much stuff filling the scenario; Other things were altered after hands-on events like giving brighter orange tones for crates so they don't blend on sand and other brown colors and better lighting overall.

Quoted by: Me
Readability is essential for a platforming game, especially a 2D one. That bright foliage ends up camouflaging the platforms.

Man, if we get a new 3D Mario and potentially 3D DK next year, I'll lose my shit. Or maybe DK would be a 2026 title. Still, my shit will be lost, especially when you consider all the other rumoured first-party titles we'll hopefully see announced relatively soon.

I still find it absolutely bizarre there's a full-on Donkey Kong Country amusement park before any other non-Mario Nintendo franchise and yet still no new mainline DK game to show for it besides a port of DKCTF 6 years ago. If the rumored DK spin-off film happens it'll be even more bizarre. Honestly even K. Rool in Smash feels bizarre now with it acting both like he was still a big Nintendo villain mainstay AND that DK was a healthy series regularly getting new entries. At least Banjo sort of had the vibe that he was 'back' after a huge hiatus.

It's like if SEGA suddenly ramped up a ton of huge budget entertainment projects for NiGHTS but had zero intention of actually making new games for it.
It is bizarre. DK is the most bizarre franchise in video game history. It was Nintendo's first mascot and their most popular IP from 1981-1985 (pre NES era), then it effectively died until 1994 when Rare took over and saved the franchise in addition to DK 94. Currently it's in the same situation as before, but DK has something going for it that most IPs would kill for. Brand recognition. DK is Nintendo's 2nd most popular character, 3rd most if you include Pikachu. Most IPs would kill for that brand recognition. It's just that the brand is a mess in terms of brand identity, consistency and cohesion.

Hyle from DKVine mentioned that the theme park and movies are there to build up the games, not the other way around. It's unprecedented, especially for video games, but maybe the best way to look at it is Pirates of the Caribbean. It is a legendary theme park ride that was around for decades before a movie series spawned from it. In the same way, the theme park will likely come before the games, and maybe they'll surprise us and launch the games around the same time as the park?

I don't believe the theme park has any bearing on a new game. Donkey Kong is the mostly closely linked to Mario out of all of Nintendo's franchises. I can see why they did it instead of a metroid or xenoblade themed park.

My dream scenario is that this year we get a Returns remaster making the game look as good as Tropical Freeze. And DK64 on NSO. Next year we get a new 3D game.

Mostly visibility and readability, yeah; The initial B-Roll footage and pre-release screenshots for N. Sane Trilogy had way too much stuff filling the scenario; Other things were altered after hands-on events like giving brighter orange tones for crates so they don't blend on sand and other brown colors and better lighting overall.
Readability is essential for a platforming game, especially a 2D one. That bright foliage ends up camouflaging the platforms.
Ah thank you both for explaining it! Without context, I couldn't tell if it was Switch FPS issues again or from visibility but that makes sense now

Ah thank you both for explaining it! Without context, I couldn't tell if it was Switch FPS issues again or from visibility but that makes sense now
Oh this was prior the original release for the PS4 version in 2017! The Switch version a year later sacrifices a few visual effects like fur textures, reflections and some sparkles here and there, but the props on the scenarios mostly remain the same across all the versions.

If they decide to do a proper sequel to Mario vs Donkey Kong. I'd love for it to be a Co-op Luigi and Diddy game where they rescue Mario and DK. I'd be cool to see Bowser and K Rool team up since we didn't get to see that in Smash Bros Brawl. On top of the original enemies toss in some Koopas and Kremlings. Make it a celebration of both sides on the IP.

Ultimately though, Donkey Kong Jr (the game) exists. DK doesn't always need to be the bad guy.

Replayed DKC2 on a lark recently.

Yep turns out it's still the greatest 2D platformer of all time. Glad I solved that mystery.

Back
Top Bottom