• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

Jellyfish Can't Swim In The Night is superb. Well recommended to creative types out there.
It's a crime that neither Jellyfish nor Girls Band Cry got picked up by any streamer. Both are excellent and have to suffer in Fansub-only jail :(

She better count her blessings that Sara didn't hit her with the death penalty

I also somehow missed you've been watching Tiger Mask W? Have fun! It's a great wrestling anime.

Jellyfish Can't Swim In The Night is superb. Well recommended to creative types out there.
Slow season and was in the mood for its vibes before the new Kinnikuman show this summer

Enjoyed Gundam SEED Freedom quite a bit. The final battle is a little long and it doesn't tread a ton of new ground storywise, but it was great to see the characters all again, especially Shinn who is awesome and hilarious in this. My audience was really into it, popped off a few times, especially in regards to Athrun:

-him showing up to save Kira (they popped off before they even showed him in the cockpit lol, everyone knew it was him)

-beating the shit out of Kira

-pretty much everything in the final battle but especially the naked Cagalli mind attack

Overall, it's a Gundam SEED movie, with all the soap opera melodrama included. If you're into that, it's more of that.

Fukura's interview before the movie started was also pretty emotional, with everything he's been through. Glad he made this.

Enjoyed the first couple episodes of the new T.P Bon anime on Netflix
Oh dang, Bones is adapting Fujiko Fujio's Time Patrol Bon? That's a deep cut! Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to give it a watch.

Overall, it's a Gundam SEED movie, with all the soap opera melodrama included. If you're into that, it's more of that.
Nice. I might check it out in theaters (for once, a movie I wanna watch is airing at a time I can go to the cinema)

Oh man, just finished Nadesico, that ending was on point but totally pissed so many people off XD. Also started watching Gekigengar ova(which sadly isn't dubbed) and this is awesome, the setup is it's some of the series cast going to the theatrical showing which is riffing on 2 things: the first half being a clip show of the main series with like 20-30 seconds of each "episode" and the back half being the movie version ending. Nearly choked on the backup team episode that happens due to their girl support member knocking out the main trio with food poisoning due to bad pickled mackerel XD there's even a Texas Mack reference in here, now that's a deep Getter pull

I might do a deeper in depth thought later but I will say that twist with Ai/Irene was excellent. As was Akito's guilt for turning her into a tech obsessed dry witted scientist XD

Brave Bang Bravern 12

Been reflecting on this episode for a while, and while I am happy with the series overall, this finale really felt like it had too much to do in its runtime. Throwing in two final bosses in one episode was just a bit much IMO. I just can't help but think of how much a second cour would have helped tremendously with the show's pacing issues, allowing for more development of the supporting cast and a true "world tour" story rather than just sticking to the USA and Japan like it did. Still, this has got to be me one of my new favourite mecha anime, and one of the best things that Obari's done as director.

I think that Superbia's death left me super salty tho. HE WAS SO HAPPY THAT BRAVERN WANTED TO BE HIS RIVAL HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO DIE DAMMIT. At least have him pop up in that one chibi form of his with Smith at the end there!

Brave Bang Bravern 12

Been reflecting on this episode for a while, and while I am happy with the series overall, this finale really felt like it had too much to do in its runtime. Throwing in two final bosses in one episode was just a bit much IMO. I just can't help but think of how much a second cour would have helped tremendously with the show's pacing issues, allowing for more development of the supporting cast and a true "world tour" story rather than just sticking to the USA and Japan like it did. Still, this has got to be me one of my new favourite mecha anime, and one of the best things that Obari's done as director.

I think that Superbia's death left me super salty tho. HE WAS SO HAPPY THAT BRAVERN WANTED TO BE HIS RIVAL HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO DIE DAMMIT. At least have him pop up in that one chibi form of his with Smith at the end there!
Eh I mean it was playing on a bunch of tropes from longer series but its story didn’t inherently need to be longer for this version. A lot of it is leaving fertile ground for if it shows up in a console super robot wars or games or spin-offs down the line

I just can't help but think of how much a second cour would have helped tremendously with the show's pacing issues, allowing for more development of the supporting cast and a true "world tour" story rather than just sticking to the USA and Japan like it did.
There are so many anime that could have been elevated to greatness if they had two cours to work with... Or maybe just even four more episodes.

I feel like the anime industry is in a pretty dire spot nowadays where a lot of shows that 15-20 years ago would easily be 2 cours are lucky to get 1, especially if they're an original IP and not an adaptation. Even Gundam seems to struggle to get a full year's worth of episodes nowadays.

There are so many anime that could have been elevated to greatness if they had two cours to work with... Or maybe just even four more episodes.
I feel like the anime industry is in a pretty dire spot nowadays where a lot of shows that 15-20 years ago would easily be 2 cours are lucky to get 1, especially if they're an original IP and not an adaptation. Even Gundam seems to struggle to get a full year's worth of episodes nowadays.

Oh, the number of shows that don’t get additional cours these days is absolutely noticeable. If Bravern had been an 00’s show or maybe even a 10’s show, I think it’s pretty likely it would have had additional cours. Meanwhile, I think that if something like Gurren Lagann had been made today, it would’ve only had one.

Last edited:
I was planning on canceling my Hi-Dive sub since nothing new is really interesting me right now. Missed turning it off my one day so I have it for the entire month. Then I remembered that I hadn't seen Oshi No Ko. I went in only knowing that people really like the OP song and that it's about idols or something.

giphy.gif

I was planning on canceling my Hi-Dive sub since nothing new is really interesting me right now. Missed turning it off my one day so I have it for the entire month. Then I remembered that I hadn't seen Oshi No Ko. I went in only knowing that people really like the OP song and that it's about idols or something.

giphy.gif
It gets weird. Have you watched Getter Robo arc, Godannar, Demon Girl next door or Chunnibo? Those are some fun picks on there. Oh and Keiji

I'm not watching anime anymore.

Just reading some manga.

...Do we have a manga thread, by any chance?

Then I remembered that I hadn't seen Oshi No Ko. I went in only knowing that people really like the OP song and that it's about idols or something.
Isn't it fun when the plot barges in swinging that steel chair? Lol, are you plannjng on continuing? It's a neat perspective on the goings on of the entertainment industry.

I guess I'll... jump in!
Welcome aboard!

Isn't it fun when the plot barges in swinging that steel chair? Lol, are you plannjng on continuing? It's a neat perspective on the goings on of the entertainment industry.

Welcome aboard!

I'll say that I find the premise more interesting than if it was just your standard idol anime. I'll probably watch the 2nd episode tonight.

This season alone is literally packed with returning shows, and there's plenty of other shows that are confirmed to have new seasons at some point. The main reason why it feels like shows are shorter is because there's so much more anime being made than in the 90s/early 00s, and let's be honest, most of it isn't good enough to even warrant more than one cour. Another thing that's more common nowadays (usually to the benefit of a show) is for anime to be split-cour or have 1-2 years between seasons. Even if it takes longer for shows to get there nowadays, we're still getting plenty of shows that are more than one cour. There's a lot of unfinished anime I wish could at least get another cour, but I can't see the argument that it's to the point of being a problem.

I haven't kept up with this one, but it had a great first episode. I need to get back to it soon.

Tiger mask W 26
Hah Haruno brought company to what Ryu thought was a date XD. He kinda won but not how he expected. Pretty obvious the Miracles are plants
Oh, the number of shows that don’t get additional cours these days is absolutely noticeable. If Bravern had been an 00’s show or maybe even a 10’s show, I think it’s pretty likely it would have had additional cours. Meanwhile, I think that if something like Gurren Lagann had been made today, it would’ve only had one.

This season alone is literally packed with returning shows, and there's plenty of other shows that are confirmed to have new seasons at some point. The main reason why it feels like shows are shorter is because there's so much more anime being made than in the 90s/early 00s, and let's be honest, most of it isn't good enough to even warrant more than one cour. Another thing that's more common nowadays (usually to the benefit of a show) is for anime to be split-cour or have 1-2 years between seasons. Even if it takes longer for shows to get there nowadays, we're still getting plenty of shows that are more than one cour. There's a lot of unfinished anime I wish could at least get another cour, but I can't see the argument that it's to the point of being a problem.

I haven't kept up with this one, but it had a great first episode. I need to get back to it soon.
I mean Urusei Yatsura all -Stars got a 4 cour split across 2 seasons (were in the final stretch, I’m gonna miss it). Not to mention Dragon Quest Dai being 100 episodes(almost straight if not for Covid and the hacking issue). Tho both of those are adaptions over original projects.

Production IG is also still doing long haul adaptions in big batches. Heck next season they’ve got one starting that’s likely to be a 2 cour minimum for part one as it’s massive prestige project of one of the biggest manga/anime projects(like Dragon Ball level!) in Japan. They’re adapting a 208 chapter arc! Even with fight reductions(as in flow versus page) that gonna be a huge chunk of episodes. Tho to be fair it’s an adaption of a super well received manga that’s a continuation of a series that hasn’t gone off air or out of print in the 45 years since it started.
(I’m so hype for Kinnikuman Perfect Origin arc)

holo-spice-and-wolf.gif

I'm the only one of my monday anime group that really likes Spice&Wolf :')
I just love the cozy atmosphere of it and the dynamic between Holo and Lawrence is fantastic.

I'm the only one of my monday anime group that really likes Spice&Wolf :')
I just love the cozy atmosphere of it and the dynamic between Holo and Lawrence is fantastic.
You need to find a new group. Spice and Wolf is a certified classic. How can they resist that merchant-wolf chemistry?!

Tiger mask W 26
Hah Haruno brought company to what Ryu thought was a date XD. He kinda won but not how he expected. Pretty obvious the Miracles are plants

I mean Urusei Yatsura all -Stars got a 4 cour split across 2 seasons (were in the final stretch, I’m gonna miss it). Not to mention Dragon Quest Dai being 100 episodes(almost straight if not for Covid and the hacking issue). Tho both of those are adaptions over original projects.

Production IG is also still doing long haul adaptions in big batches. Heck next season they’ve got one starting that’s likely to be a 2 cour minimum for part one as it’s massive prestige project of one of the biggest manga/anime projects(like Dragon Ball level!) in Japan. They’re adapting a 208 chapter arc! Even with fight reductions(as in flow versus page) that gonna be a huge chunk of episodes. Tho to be fair it’s an adaption of a super well received manga that’s a continuation of a series that hasn’t gone off air or out of print in the 45 years since it started.
(I’m so hype for Kinnikuman Perfect Origin arc)

I don’t think anyone’s saying that multi-cour shows don’t happen anymore period, but all of those shows belonging to pre-established IPs with a long history says a lot IMO.

This happens to be one of the comics I haven't read 🤣 I rarely read comics with a lot of hot blooded(I don't know if that describes it)elements.
Well to be fair this is an adaption of the 2010 continuation not the original run… and from what I’ve heard it’s plenty hotblooded despite the lead being a coward suffering imposter syndrome XD. Original run was from the early 80’s and was a comedy which started as an Ultraman parody that shifted to super hero wrestling and stayed on that focus. I was partly just curious to see if you had thoughts on Ramenman to be honest XD. I just knew the original Toei anime did the rounds in Asia generally unlike elsewhere and that’s more what I was curious about

If there's anything I'm looking forward to this year, I'm hoping for Fate strange fake to air this year, as well as the upcoming third season of Yurukyan, and then I've got a couple of "conscious" anime from the 90s in my collection that I'm ready to watch, like Lain, Texhnolyze, and Infinite Ryvius.I'm also interested in cultural studies such as the collapse of Japan's bubble economy and the rapid move towards experimentation and montage and post-politics (political despair and apathy) throughout the animation industry after the Miyazaki Tsutomu incident.

I'd love to participate in that thread, but since I'm a native Chinese speaker not English, I basically don't know the English translations of most Japanese anime names!🤣
Can you help with something I've been meaning to figure out: Why is One Piece both 航海王and海贼王? Is one of them an old translation or is one used in 大陆 and the other in other regions? I can't seem to figure it out 😭

Can you help with something I've been meaning to figure out: Why is One Piece both 航海王and海贼王? Is one of them an old translation or is one used in 大陆 and the other in other regions? I can't seem to figure it out 😭
海贼王 is probably an unofficial translation that has been used on the 大陆 since the 90's and is still commonly used by mainland viewers and netizens, while 航海王 is the official translation given to the manga after it was introduced on the 大陆.

海贼王 is probably an unofficial translation that has been used on the 大陆 since the 90's and is still commonly used by mainland viewers and netizens, while 航海王 is the official translation given to the manga after it was introduced on the 大陆.
Thank you! I thought 航海王was the official but my dictionary actually only has 海贼王 in it so I always got confused lol

Thank you! I thought 航海王was the official but my dictionary actually only has 海贼王 in it so I always got confused lol
Are you Chinese?if so it's not really uncommon to get confused, at least the name 海贼王 is still mainly used for folk communication, but 航海王 is indeed the official translation.

Are you Chinese?if so it's not really uncommon to get confused, at least the name 海贼王 is still mainly used for folk communication, but 航海王 is indeed the official translation.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

The manga really deserves the best adaptation possible.
They're going to have a director who understands how to make the choreography flow like wuxia and Jackie Chan, because that's the only way to do Sakamoto Days justice. Tempering my expectations on that front...

Back
Top Bottom